American 14.1.................

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I often wonder why guys like Sigel, Varner, Hopkins, etc did not keep up their 14.1 game so that they could still compete in these events- maybe they are- I don't know. Even at age 70, if you have kept yourself in good shape and kept up with 14.1 practice sessions, they should still be able to run enough balls to be competitive. These events only run 3 to 5 days- that is not too much to do a few times a year; even at their age. They already know all the 14.1 safety moves. Perhaps I am just dreaming but it sure would be great to see them try!
Especially in this tournament where the added money is twice the entry fees -- three to one money odds. Finish 24th out of 42 and you get $700 back for a $300 entry fee. And the La Quinta is only $65 a night.

I think if you are used to winning big tournaments, you don't feel like entering a tournament where you can't do well by your own standards. Sigel has played a little in the last ten years but has not done well. He finished 5th in Charlie Williams' 14.1 tournament in 2011 and has not cashed in any tournament since. Hopkins played last year at DCC and cashed but way down the list.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often wonder why guys like Seigel, Varner, Hopkins, etc did not keep up their 14.1 game so that they could still compete in these events- maybe they are- I don't know. Even at age 70, if you have kept yourself in good shape and kept up with 14.1 practice sessions, they should still be able to run enough balls to be competitive. These events only run 3 to 5 days- that is not too much to do a few times a year; even at their age. They already know all the 14.1 safety moves. Perhaps I am just dreaming but it sure would be great to see them try!

ray martin played world 14.1 when he was about 75, i think it was 2011. i think sigel played that one too

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Noon: Schmidt vs Makkonen
2:30: Souquet vs Alcaide
5:00: Hohmann vs Archer
7:30: Mika vs Lion

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Niels’ match with Albin was as bad as it can get for those two.
Niels missed an easy 4-ball...got back in twice and got stuck on clusters.
Albin ran over 70 his first turn...looked like he would end it on his second turn...
...missed a pretty easy shot in the side at 123...missed another in the same side at 124.
...but Niels couldn’t escape another cluster...gave him a easier shot.
Albin 125...Niels 34

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I enjoyed the production. Having cut my teeth on 14.1 on TV with Frank McGowan running a 140 balls in the early 60's, and playing Varner in the Midwest Collegiate finals at IU. Only thing I would recommend, and I've done a fair amt of this type of work for pool.

Use an overhead camera for 14.1.

Watching, explaining and getting the feel of straight pool play is NOT the greatest from a flat camera angle.

Overhead Camera with 14.1 is really the best way to View this game from a TV.

9 ball yeah, but not being able to talk about those shot choices, and outcomes in 14.1 is not good for the viewer.

Otherwise Nice production.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fantastic stream
Super clear picture
Minimal commentary, no smalltalk, no background music.
Free

Other streamers take notice of what Billiards Sports Network is doing right.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fantastic stream
Super clear picture
Minimal commentary, no smalltalk, no background music.
Free

Other streamers take notice of what Billiards Sports Network is doing right.

Couldn’t agree more. So, I made a modest donation via BSN’s Donation link. Seems only right to pay something to see this excellent annual event.