Last4Ever 4-Way Tip Tool Review -Finally there is one that does it all, does it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanC

needs practice...
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for almost 20 years, and within this time I've had many of the tip tools out there which I thought would help me in my game. Most of these purchases either seem to work fine in the beginning but proved useless after a few uses, or they were simply bad purchases right from the start. I do not want to name them all, but in the recent years two of the tip tools proved to do a good job: Wolfbite's two piece shaper/burnisher and Kamui's Gator Grip scuffer. Now there is a third one that has been developed by one of our own, joelpope, and it may very well be the what is claimed on it packaging: "The last tip tool you will ever buy".

In the picture below, Last4Ever is shown in the foreground with the other aforementioned two shown in the back. Wolfbite tool (back-right) does a great job at shaping/re-shaping thanks to its contoured surface, but it removes some of the tip material by design. I didn't mind this for many years, but with increased play time I realized one may need to replace tips more often that should be when Wolfbite tool is used for scuffing.

Kamui's Gator Grip (back-left) is a single task tool that does a good job where the Wolfbite tool falls short. It doesn't remove too much tip material, but the lack of a contoured surface doesn't guarantee that you'll retain the tip shape after a few uses, and you may end up with a less than ideal tip shape even though it may be difficult to notice with the naked eye.

1.jpg

Last4Ever seems to solve these problems: It is a multitasking tool to start with. One of its 4 functional sides is a shaping-reshaping tool that not only does a great job (see the picture below where I used it to shorten the White Diamond tip on my break cue, no lathes used here), but also comes with a large flat scuffing surface that doesn't remove ANY tip material, hence makes sure that that you retain the dime or nickel shape, whichever you may prefer. All you need to do is to rock the large flat abrasive surface of the tool back and forth across your tip to remove any glazing and improve chalk retention, and when you need to reshape your tip due to regular play, just turn it over and use the contoured surface designed for the job.

SAM_0984-1-1.jpg

In addition to the advantages above, the multi-purpose Last4Ever tool has two more functional sides: one with a piece of leather for burnishing the sides of your tip, another with a finer grit cloth backed jeweler's abrasive to remove any mushrooming your tip may develop over time. Detailed instructions for proper use is included with packaging, but the tool is quite intuitive and easy to use.

All of the abrasives used in the Last4Ever are cloth backed jeweler's abrasives that should last, well, you guessed it, forever. However, Joel told me that he will continue to experiment with different abrasives, and expand his line of tip tools in the future. Right now, Last4Ever comes in either an oak wood or a machined aluminum versions, both of which look great and small enough to carry around either in your pocket or in your case.

3.jpg
aluminum.jpg

For ordering, get in touch with Joel at [U]joel.pope@me.com[/U] with your preferred tip shape. The wood one retails for $14.95 and the aluminum one for $19.95. He is a great guy to deal with, and did a great job in understanding the needs of us players in developing his tip tool. Also, AZB members get a %20 discount for a limited time, can't really beat this for a tool that does it all, and does it right!

Last edited:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did I miss the price in there somewhere??
The wood ones are $14.95 and the Aluminum ones are $19.95 plus $2.85 shipping for either & I am offering 20% off to AZr's through 09/30/11.

With the discount it is Wood for $11.96 and Aluminum for $15.96 plus the shipping.

Just go to the website, http://last4ever.net and order. Order your product and click continue, when you get to the very end, there is a box for promo codes, just type in AZB and you will receive 20% off.

Thanks

Last edited:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the orders

Thanks goes out to plshrk22 & lols

I appreciate the business

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Post office hassle...

They want me to use their Flat rate box @ $4.95... because of the variance in the envelope thickness.... regular postage is about half that... anyone out there got any ways to get around this?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ill buy one of these, a question, whats the advantage of the aluminun one versus the wooden? By my imagination I just feel that the wooden one is better because it must be light, and classic, isn't it? I'm not sure which ill buy yet, will email you asap.

EDIT: great design, looks nice, I would highly suggest to you to make a youtube video of you personally using this tool to your own tip, scuffing, shapping and whatnot, it'll be a great a. tutorial, and b. adv for the nice tool, also would make me learn how to properly use it, not that I can't read instruction, but the video would be a nice idea, don't you think :)

Last edited:

SeanC

needs practice...
Silver Member
They want me to use their Flat rate box @ $4.95... because of the variance in the envelope thickness.... regular postage is about half that... anyone out there got any ways to get around this?

How much does it weigh in a padded envelope?

It's not the weight, it's the thickness; it should not be over 3/4ths of an inch in thickness if you want to ship first class and use a confirmation number. Otherwise one must use an expedited shipping service such as the priority mail. Personally, I just take my chances and ship first class in a padded envelope without a confirmation number.

Better yet, create an online account through USPS and see if online shipping gives you other options. Confirmation number service is free with online shipping, and the rates are better.

ill buy one of these, a question, whats the advantage of the aluminun one versus the wooden? By my imagination I just feel that the wooden one is better because it must be light, and classic, isn't it? I'm not sure which ill buy yet, will email you asap.

Don't think aluminum one is much heavier, maybe Joel can comment further.

SeanC

needs practice...
Silver Member
If its under 13oz you can ship it first class.

Yes, but you can't use delivery confirmation with it unless your package is over 3/4ths of an inch in thickness. I think that's what Joel was trying to do and they told him to go with a small flat rate Priority box...

Last edited:

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Yeh I would just risk it and send it. I dont think its work it on something that is around $14. Just my $.02

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How much does it weigh in a padded envelope?
about 7 ounces, the issue is that they say that there can't be more than a 1/4" variance in the thickness.

I'm headed to the post office tomorrow, it has been costing me abut $2.50 to mail & I'm charging $1.00 so i need to evaluate one way or the other

I hate to have to charge $5 on a $15-$20 item

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

EDIT: great design, looks nice, I would highly suggest to you to make a youtube video of you personally using this tool to your own tip, scuffing, shapping and whatnot, it'll be a great a. tutorial, and b. adv for the nice tool, also would make me learn how to properly use it, not that I can't read instruction, but the video would be a nice idea, don't you think :)
That's a good idea, I will do that

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

the wood one is a bit lighter, not a huge difference though.

the aluminum is about 1/4 narrower at 1" x 1/2" x 3" versus the wood at 1 1/4" x 1/2" x 3"

wood - kind of traditional & aluminum - kind of modern

they work the same and I have used wood for years and just recently started having aluminum machined

Status
Not open for further replies.