Butterfly Splices

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Actually, it's a Katz made in the 40's that was refinished by Neighbors awhile back.

what's the distinguishing difference between katz & brunswick?

maybe my dad's dbl butterfly i have here could be a katz?

terrible pics of my dad's cue
cant find the GOOD pics
B8.jpg

B7.jpg

B6.jpg

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BRUNSWICK brass pin in shaft , i have a few of those here
that one looks like it's had some work done on it

to chopdoc>
was it you recently that told me KATZ also used brass pin in shaft?

It wasn't me.

I believe they did...but I haven't seen enough Katz cues to say it is consistently so really.

I believe other old makers did so too though, so I don't think it is a maker identifying feature.

It seems to me that very often identifying a Katz first involves ruling it out as a Brunswick. If a butterfly cue can't be identified people usually say it is a Katz...at least that is what I have seen. There were other makers though....so I am guessing it isn't always true.

I don't know of any specific identifying features of a Katz cue. I would be interested to know if anybody does.

I'll let the Katz (pun intended) out of the bag and say I recently acquired what I believe to be an old Katz. But it has already been cut so I don't know the original dimensions. It is suitable for a blank though, which is spectacular IMHO.

The cue has double butterflies, all dead even, three veneers (natural red and green), and is zebrawood into straight maple. The old varnish is still on it and yelloewd so the cue looks dull. It is also a bit fat (a good thing for a blank). I can't find anything like this by Brunswick but I have seen similar that have been called Katz, so I think it is a Katz. All considered it is a remarkable butterfly cue of remarkable quality...consistent with Katz I think.

If anybody knows specific Katz identifying features, I would love to hear them.

I'll post pics of the old butterfly I found soon. I think it's pretty special...but maybe it will get shot down....who knows?

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what's the distinguishing difference between katz & brunswick?

maybe my dad's dbl butterfly i have here could be a katz?

terrible pics of my dad's cue
cant find the GOOD pics
B8.jpg

B7.jpg

B6.jpg

BHQ,
I don't know enough to make that call. I hope someone can chime in and provide some insight as to his history/story. Which came first? Katz or Brunswick? The butt is thick on mine. Does yours have a large butt?
Does your stick have the pin coming out of the shaft?. Does it have a similar bumper? Do the points align with the center of the butterflies? Does the ivory show some signs of age? Is there a number stamped on the butt? These are some obvious things I see. . Really solid hit and weight distribution. I have a LOA from the Blue Book also.

Last edited:

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
BHQ,
I don't know enough to make that call. I hope someone can chime in and provide some insight as to his history/story. Which came first? Katz or Brunswick? The butt is thick on mine. Does yours have a large butt?
yes, it's approx. 1.39 huge , .775" joint
Does your stick have the pin coming out of the shaft?. yes
Does it have a similar bumper? yes
Do the points align with the center of the butterflies? yes, it's 2 sets of bflys, offset 90 degrees from each other
Does the ivory show some signs of age? it's not ivory, but it was yellowed before the refinish
Is there a number stamped on the butt? there was at one time
These are some obvious things I see. . Really solid hit and weight distribution. I have a LOA from the Blue Book also.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the one I found. It is already cut. Looks like zebrawood into maple. Three very nice veneers. Butterflies are dead even, two long and two short. It's a bit darkened with age and the old school varnish on it yellowed.

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

Since it is already cut I was thinking to have the splices moved forward and a handle put in. I would have the nice sharp bottom points showing above the wrap if I had the splices moved forward. There is more than enough of the zebrawood for a butt sleeve. I have an additional piece of it about five inches long as well.

I haven't measured it yet. I still have to unpack my tools since we moved. But it is very obviously fat enough to do whatever I want with it.

I really don't know what it is...but it looks very old and very good quality.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks great! :thumbup:
you did good

Thanks. Coming from you that means a lot to me.

I am very excited about it. It just has all the elements I could want. I have been looking for an old butterfly to convert but I wanted at least three veneers and four butterflies. Not easy to find. I also wanted something fancy in the butt wood. Again not easy to find. Then this one falls into my life....

I am giddy like a school girl....... :p:thumbup::D

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread, and wonderful pics. Stunning work....

There is another butterfly thread too. I wish we could merge them. Some of the cues are the same, but there are some different ones too.

There are some monster cool cues pictured.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been loving butterfly's for 40 years - going back to when the only butterflies around were either snooker cues or Helmstetter 3cushion cues. Two years ago I finally got around to designing one myself and having it built. The first 7 or so cuemakers that I talked to (including several of the well known cuebuilders currently doing a lot of butterflies) about building it for me either couldn't build it, or said they weren't comfortable with the idea of trying to build it...then I got real lucky, and found the perfect cuebuilder to build my cue for me...

Although I can appreciate the work-hours involved in designing/building them..and I like a lot of them...personally, I didn't want a butterfly cue with a lot of colors or busy looking complexities. I wanted my butterfly cue to look mean and lean. And I'm partial to ebony and curly maple so those were my wood choices. It turned out perfect - looks killer and plays perfect...and it's one of a kind. ------>

- Ghost

Attachments

• MY FOSTER 1.jpg
    MY FOSTER 1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been loving butterfly's for 40 years - going back to when the only butterflies around were either snooker cues or Helmstetter 3cushion cues. Two years ago I finally got around to designing one myself and having it built. The first 7 or so cuemakers that I talked to (including several of the well known cuebuilders currently doing a lot of butterflies) about building it for me either couldn't build it, or didn't want to try building it...then I got real lucky, and found the perfect cuebuilder to build my cue for me...

Although I can appreciate the work-hours involved in designing/building them..and I like a lot of them...personally, I didn't want a butterfly cue with a lot of colors or busy looking complexities. I wanted my butterfly cue to look mean and lean. And I'm partial to ebony and curly maple so those were my wood choices. It turned out perfect - looks killer and plays perfect...and it's one of a kind. ------>

- Ghost

Very sleek design!

avscue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ebony and pink ivory with holly veneers

DSC00278a_zpsc3b02f24.jpg

jobillo and maple with mahagony veneers

DSC00815a_zps04e7d18b.jpg

DSC00819a_zps226852f6.jpg

DSC00820a_zps139b5f41.jpg

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Hey I have one of these butterfly cues...
I felt like digging this thread up as I was looking for something.

picture.php

picture.php

Lets see more cues!

Lesh

96supersport

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Butterflies

A couple I've finished and one I'm still working on

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg