Efren's New Break for 1p

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really know what to think of this

CueTable Help

He broke the balls like this in one of his early 1p matches.

Anyone seen this break used before. Its tough to tell, but it looked like he was using low inside. It moved A LOT of balls towards his hole.

I've not been able to duplicate it so I might be doing something wrong her.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
It could be accidental. The standard break uses top inside, but if you're off a bit, you can hit the second ball a little too full and end up like your diagram.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
efren doesnt make mistakes. he's the Bourne of the pool world!

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Perhaps Efren was not satisfied with his 100% DCC 1P winning record, thus time to make some changes! :p

(5 entrances, 5 first place finishes)

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Did he hit it harder than a normal 1pocket break? Seems to me that he'd have to if he wanted to keep low english on the CB all the way to the rack.

-Andrew

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
maxeypad2007 said:

CueTable Help

Anyone seen this break used before. Its tough to tell, but it looked like he was using low inside. It moved A LOT of balls towards his hole.

That's usually a bad spot for the cue ball after a 1-pocket break.

pj
chgo

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would think he just hit that break bad, like Patrick said that is the last place you want the cue ball. Unless he is so accurate that he can ensure a blocker will follow the cue ball down the rail.

-don

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
Did he scratch his head afterwards? If not, it probably wasn't an accident. :D
Very astute Cuebacca! That would be a telltale sign another would be Efren sticking his tongue out. I would think if he intended to break in that fashion he would probably use low lefthand english. Philw

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maxeypad2007 said:

CueTable Help

How do you protect against the sell out on the 5 ball? That ball tends to drift to the wrong hole.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Very unusual... do you know how the other balls ended up? I would think he'd leave a bank half the time at least.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
shinobi said:
Perhaps Efren was not satisfied with his 100% DCC 1P winning record, thus time to make some changes! :p

(5 entrances, 5 first place finishes)

What do you think of his chances of repeating this year after his loss to Alex P. in round 5?

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Alex Kanapilly said:
Good. He lost last year too before the finals.

Pretty sure that was the year before. In 2007, he faced Cliff Joyner in the finals and Cliff would have to win twice. Efren won the first go-around and that was it.

enzo

Banned
Renegade said:
What do you think of his chances of repeating this year after his loss to Alex P. in round 5?

he lost to tang early one year (dont remember which), he came all the way back and faced tang in the finals and beat him twice (convincingly). i've been told from people with much experience playing him that efren is very beatable for small money (and perhaps early in tournaments??), and completely unstoppable for big money (and perhaps tour. finals etc).

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efran's "new" break !!!

I don't know what you thought you saw, but if Efran broke this way on
purpose, (which I don't believe he did) then he would go from being the
best player of our generation, to possibly never having won a One Pocket
tournament EVER !
Dick

Last edited:

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
maxeypad2007 said:

CueTable Help

I used this break but it is low inside to the second ball and yes you can it a little harder than top inside. I can usually make the corner ball with this break and it moves about four or five ball towards my pocket. Its a good break to start an eight and out.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which Pocket was Efren's? left or right?

Anyway, regarding Efren's loss to Alex, I have a hunch that it was most likely a sell. considering that Alex already lost during the previous round and Efren seems to be a 1P GOD, I think he can afford to spare one loss to Alex inorder for Alex to advance further rather than getting eliminated. However, Efren from this day on, must play "Lights-Out 1P". unless he gets bored of winning the 1P event and decided to let a new player win the event. of course, we can't do nothing about that one. :D