Predator butt diameters

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a slim butt cue size (1.20") and would like to buy a newer model predator.

Either the P3 series, BLAK, Roadline or Sport 2 series. Unfortunately i'm afraid the cue might be too thick in the butt cap/ butt sleeve area.

Does anyone know the thickest size at the end of the cue of these Predators?
This is where i usually hold my cue.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
My predator Blak3 - 4 is 1.20" at the end of the wrap, and 1.23" at the very end of the cue measured with digital calipers.

Also - it's for sale if you happen to be interested...

b

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play with a slim butt cue size (1.20") and would like to buy a newer model predator.

Either the P3 series, BLAK, Roadline or Sport 2 series. Unfortunately i'm afraid the cue might be too thick in the butt cap/ butt sleeve area.

Does anyone know the thickest size at the end of the cue of these Predators?
This is where i usually hold my cue.

I will measure these later.
LE4
Roadline SP6ON
IKON 2

The ikon has the thinnest butt

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I play with Predators, I've never measured (my cues...). My LE 2 feels a little thinner.
Then there's that cue.maker, B...... something Italian (I think), his cue butts don't have a taper the handle is all one diameter and they have a 'nub' on the end. I think he posts here, his name escapes me at the moment (I hate it when that happens), all I can think of is the old baseball player Phil Rizzuto, and an old restaurant manager where I worked in high school Rich Rizo. Phil Barioni, that's it. Nice cues

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The ones I built measured 1.25 inches in diameter, about 1/2 inch up from the end of the butt. Schons were the same dimensions. :smile:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have a early Sneaky Predator and its one of the thinnest cues I have. I will put a micrometer to it and get back to you.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
My Predator mics out 1.200 where as many of my other production cues are .100 larger at the fattest part of the butt section. 1.300

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The P3 is definitely thicker than the IKON I used to have-that felt like a toothpick.
I don't have any digital calipers, but from my ruler, the butt appears to be 1.25 inches in diameter.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P3 is thicker than P2 by just a bit. Forgot how much.
I always ask for 1.25 on all my cues.
I have a cue that's 1.3 and it feels too big. It and I have never gotten along.
I have another that's 1.22 and it's starting to feel too thin.
I'm talking about as far back as you can possibly go before the caliper falls off the cue.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ones I built measured 1.25 inches in diameter, about 1/2 inch up from the end of the butt. Schons were the same dimensions. :smile:

"Schons were the same dimensions"

I have three 80's Schons and one is 1.25, another is 1.22 and the third is 1.27.
So I don't think 1.25 was an established norm in the mid to late 80's which is when all of mine were made.
Maybe later.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measured both a p2 and p3. Both were at 1.27 at the end of the butt cap. However, with the taper on the butt the actual handles were pretty thin.

Jawzcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like a thinner taper, the new P3 Racer 2 and I heard future P3 cues will have the thinner taper like the Ikon series does. Definitely thinner than the P3 Black in previous years.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with Predators, I've never measured (my cues...). My LE 2 feels a little thinner.
Then there's that cue.maker, B...... something Italian (I think), his cue butts don't have a taper the handle is all one diameter and they have a 'nub' on the end. I think he posts here, his name escapes me at the moment (I hate it when that happens), all I can think of is the old baseball player Phil Rizzuto, and an old restaurant manager where I worked in high school Rich Rizo. Phil Barioni, that's it. Nice cues

You're thinking of Barioni cues.
Fantastic cues.
Just hit with one yesterday and I loved it.
I've always wondered what the point of this taper is anyway.
Here we are playing this precision game and you're grip position
changes as you shoot and with it the butt diameter.
Don't get it.
I'm a strong believer in consistent diameter of all pool cues and
thing we should pass a law that requires all cue makers to make
their cue butts at only one diameter.
Dictatorship?
No, not at all. Each cue maker can decide on what butt diameter
they want and they can register it with the state.
So there....