The Color of Money (film 1986)

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I don't mind seeing Tom Cruise in another pool movie, but not because he has improved as an actor...….

he plays the same smart-azz "Vincent" in every movie he makes...…...:rolleyes:

Tom Cruise vs. Charlie Sheen....winning!

Place your bet now boys.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be willing to bet that they used a "stand in" cue for the twirling scenes.

Maniac

I just talked with the joss cue guy at derby. He said they made 3 cues for the movie. One he has signed by Tom and Paul
The 2nd broken in production
The third went with the film crew
I have no idea of the accuracy of this but it came from that bald joss guy’s mouth last month lol

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
One reason I heard why we didn't get the book version is because Jackie Gleason turn down the role.

I agree. I liked the girlfriend killing herself in the movie. I mean it added a good amount of drama for Fast Eddie to carry into that final match and confrontation with Fats and Burt. That's about the only difference between the book and the movie -- the girl doesn't die in the book.

Color of Money movie is not based on the book. Instead of a story about a hotshot overly-obnoxious pool player wanting to go pro, the Color of Money book is about Eddie and Fats becoming friends years later (Fats is retired), and they start doing some exhibition matches for ESPN. It's a more real story. I liked the book better, better than the pool/billiard version of Top Gun, or a few years later...Days of Thunder.

I'm not saying I didn't like all these Tom Cruise movies...I thought they were great, even the Color of Money. I just liked the original sequel, as written by Tevis, much better. But Newman didn't like it because it wasn't flashy enough, so they kept the title but went with another writer, a different storyline.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If there is a sequel with Tom Cruise, I would like a scene where he finds out that his Balabushka is really a Joss.

In the beginning of the movie, Fast Eddie was also distributing counterfeit liquor. There was a line about tasting low fusil oil and getting the same kegs as the big guys. Also, the Chinese love this stuff, just like ebony nosed SouthWest cues. So, this would fit in with Eddie's character of bait and switch salesman.

I just talked with the joss cue guy at derby. He said they made 3 cues for the movie. One he has signed by Tom and Paul
The 2nd broken in production
The third went with the film crew
I have no idea of the accuracy of this but it came from that bald joss guy’s mouth last month lol

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If there is a sequel with Tom Cruise, I would like a scene where he finds out that his Balabushka is really a Joss.

In the beginning of the movie, Fast Eddie was also distributing counterfeit liquor. There was a line about tasting low fusil oil and getting the same kegs as the big guys. Also, the Chinese love this stuff, just like ebony nosed SouthWest cues. So, this would fit in with Eddie's character of bait and switch salesman.

Except Eddie kept the Cue.....so, there's that.
Jason

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Yep. And I absolutely hated that corny scene, mainly when Cruise starts twirling his cue like he's in a Chuck Norris movie. I've met a helluva lot of extremely arrogant players over the years, been accused of being that myself a few times too, but nobody ever acted like that around strangers. Among friends, showing off...sure, but even then nobody twirled a highend cue around like it was common house wood. Lol

I saw someone who acted like that around strangers.. Our team played in an non sanctioned industrial league
a few months after TCOM film can out. We played against a new team & 1 guy had a decent cue with no case.
He must've thought he was the hustler (Are you a hustler Amos?) in the movie.. but let you know he's a player.

The two of us were playing. He ran a few balls before leaving me with no shot, I looked at the balls on the table.
There was no way I could hit one of my balls without kicking. That's when he started the Tom Cruise cue dance.
He was near the juke box twirling his cue like Vincent.. I walked over.. My $10 says you won't get another shot.

He came to the table & looked at my situation. Pulled out 10 and said, you're on man. I laid down 10 next to his.

Two of his balls were close to the CB.. I bent over like I was going to shoot, then I stood up and bent over again.
I stood up and turned in the opposite direction, lined up on the 8 ball and fired it in. His $10 went into my pocket.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I saw someone who acted like that around strangers.. Our team played in an non sanctioned industrial league
a few months after TCOM film can out. We played against a new team & 1 guy had a decent cue with no case.
He must've thought he was the hustler (Are you a hustler Amos?) in the movie.. but let you know he's a player.

The two of us were playing. He ran a few balls before leaving me with no shot, I looked at the balls on the table.
There was no way I could hit one of my balls without kicking. That's when he started the Tom Cruise cue dance.
He was near the juke box twirling his cue like Vincent.. I walked over.. My $10 says you won't get another shot.

He came to the table & looked at my situation. Pulled out 10 and said, you're on man. I laid down 10 next to his.

Two of his balls were close to the CB.. I bent over like I was going to shoot, then I stood up and bent over again.
I stood up and turned in the opposite direction, lined up on the 8 ball and fired it in. His $10 went into my pocket.

That's good sh*t right there. Greenie coming :thumbup:.

Maniac

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ooh, I'm glad TCOM is on blueray now. When The Hustler came out with a blueray edition, they interviewed a lot of pool peeps, including Mike Massey, about the shots in the movie. I loved it.

TCOM was a godsend to the American pool world. It was filmed in 1985, but it came out in 1986. I remember a bunch of us from our neighborhood pool room drove over to the Avalon movie theater, a real old-timey place, and sat in the back. We were giggling and lauging all the way through, as some of the scenes are a wee bit corny for real pool aficionados like us, but we loved every minute of it.

Pool enjoyed a surge of popularity after TCOM. Not so much the hustling aspect of it, but people wanted to learn how to play pool. Leagues became popular, and the social shooters grew in numbers. Pool was a social game where men and women, girls and boys could have fun together. It was a good way to meet people because you had to speak: "Do you have stripes or solids?" "Do you want to break?" "Let's play partners."

Tom Cruise couldn't play too well, but Paul Newman knew the game. Willie Mosconi, as most know, was the technical director to The Hustler, and Mike Sigel was the technical director for TCOM. Keith McCready did spend some time with Tom Cruise alone, helping him with his stroke a little bit. Keith still gets royalty checks from SAG (Screen Actors Guild), though they're pretty small these days. Maybe this new blueray edition will boost his checks a little.

Martin Scorsese hand-picked Keith to play Grady Seasons after seeing Keith in action. Keith was feeling no pain at the time, as usual, and was barking up a storm. Marty, et al., pullled Keith in the backroom and said they wanted him in the movie. Keith actually wanted the black cowboy part, but Martin Scorsese already knew what part Keith would play.

Months went by after that, and Keith went on being Keith, on the road like a rolling stone, never had a home. The film crew was trying to get in touch him to come to Chicago to sign up. They finally found Keith, and he arrived at the audition spot in Chicago. Rumor had it that they wanted real pool players in the background and were paying $50 a day for stand-ins. There were a line outside going around the building of pool players, hoping to get picked.

When Keith arrived in a limo, he stepped outside and looked at the line. He already had an appointment and was already chosen, so he did not have to stand in line. He looked at his fellow brethren of players and said, "How are you doing, boys?" and proceeded to walk right in ahead of everyone, gloating and chuckling the whole way.

To this day, everywhere Keith goes, people ask him to say his famous line: "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?"

Pool could use another good pool movie to put pool back on the map for mainstream America. I think the theme would be quite different, though. Gone are golden days of the road agents like Fast Eddie, Vincent, and Grady Seasons. Pool has taken on an international flavor.

Though today's young guns still travel the tournament trail around the world, it's like in their blood when it comes to competition in challenge matches; in other words, action. Witness Filler, Klenti, Bergman, and almost all of the Filipino new kids on the block at the Derby City Classic. You can take the pool player out of the action, but you'll never, ever take the action out of the pool player. Oh, the impossible dream!:wink:

"Rack 'em, Sausage" from The Hustler is my favorite line, and, of course, "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?" from TCOM. :D

Behold...the reason why AZ Billiards is the greatest site for pool. Thanks Jam for the look behind the scenes. You and Keith should've been interviewed for a blue ray special.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
One of the most underrated scenes in The Hustler that shows what a BAMF Bert is is the scene when Fast Eddie and Fats are playing their first match. Eddie is down on a shot and he's struggling. He looks up at Bert and the exchange goes like this.

Eddie: Hey mister!

Bert: Yeah

Eddie: Would you mind moving? You've been sitting in that same spot for hours. It's bothering me.

Bert: Gets up. Moves chair 6 inches. Sits back down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the most underrated scenes in The Hustler that shows what a BAMF Bert is is the scene when Fast Eddie and Fats are playing their first match. Eddie is down on a shot and he's struggling. He looks up at Bert and the exchange goes like this.

Eddie: Hey mister!

Bert: Yeah

Eddie: Would you mind moving? You've been sitting in that same spot for hours. It's bothering me.

Bert: Gets up. Moves chair 6 inches. Sits back down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That was a great scene, and Eddie's reaction is taken aback but deep down he knows don't mess with that guy again. It's great.

At first Eddie was very confrontational....

Hey mister.

The Name's Bert, Bert Gordon....

Yeah, mister...

But after the chair move, Eddie is amused but after that, cautious. Very subtle and very cool that scene.
Nice call.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it too, probably watched it more than the other 2 combined. When you got a guy portraying toupee J what's not to like :thumbup:
Jason

I loved pool hall junkies.. It’s a fun movie not a documentary so I don’t get caught up in the details. Kind of like watching the fast and furious movies lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be willing to bet that they used a "stand in" cue for the twirling scenes.

Maniac

Why? It was just a joss. Lol not really a balabushka. They smash expensive cars in moves they surely don’t care about a $600 joss.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. I liked the girlfriend killing herself in the movie. I mean it added a good amount of drama for Fast Eddie to carry into that final match and confrontation with Fats and Burt. That's about the only difference between the book and the movie -- the girl doesn't die in the book.

Color of Money movie is not based on the book. Instead of a story about a hotshot overly-obnoxious pool player wanting to go pro, the Color of Money book is about Eddie and Fats becoming friends years later (Fats is retired), and they start doing some exhibition matches for ESPN. It's a more real story. I liked the book better, better than the pool/billiard version of Top Gun, or a few years later...Days of Thunder.

I'm not saying I didn't like all these Tom Cruise movies...I thought they were great, even the Color of Money. I just liked the original sequel, as written by Tevis, much better. But Newman didn't like it because it wasn't flashy enough, so they kept the title but went with another writer, a different storyline.

"the color of money" book is great! fast eddie pulls fats out of his florida retirement to hit the road one more time, gets a job at a college pool room, opens up an art gallery with his gal pal, and of course,
there's always a game lurking :)

to those who dig the books, dig more and you'll find that mr. tevis also published some other pool-fiction, pre-hustler..

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See I think the scene was perfect because Vincent was corny, he was a flake.

If you saw Vincent in a pool room doing this and he was playing for good money, people would be lining up to play him.

We have this guy that has recently started coming to the bar. The first time I saw him I laterally said to my self ..."jesus, Vincent Lauria just walked into the room.

He is a pretty good shot...not great...or is he?

This guy wears a bandanna across his forehead.
Wears 2 or 3 good sized rings on each hand along with a shooting glove.
Wears 2 or 3 necklaces that hang on the pool table
Plaid shit un-tucked but pressed and ironed.
Stone washed jeans
Perfect white tennis shoes.

Before every shot, he twirls the stick in his right palm up and down and then puts his feet really close to each other, bends over and makes the shot.

I don't know the guy well enough to ask him if it is an act or not, but whether the guy knows it or not, he is a freaking genius. The guy plays all night. People can't wait to try and beat him.

Two things:

To your first point you totally get what the character is about!

To the second Richard Rawlings is a regular at your pool hall/bar? Sounds a lot like him:grin-square:

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady telling road stories....and the guy with the beard Howard Vickery.....

the scene with Forrest Whitaker is second most natural acted pool scenes in movie history, both actors are not acting at that point, they ARE those characters. it's a performance level that rarely gets reached in pool movies. The direction on that scene is fantastic, how the pool match is playing a roll in the development of the characters and their interaction with each other. So damn good. I could watch that over and over again.

The best pool scene ever is the first interaction between fast Eddie and Minnesota Fats in the Hustler....the dialogue is simply secondary to what is actually going on in the scene. Fantastic. Had they had access to better cameras, better lenses as did Scorcese, the cinematography surrounding the match would've been that much better. Regardless, it's two titanic actors, in titanic rolls, in a great scene.

All this IMO of course. I love those two movies.

Well said I agree completely! I love them both.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I liked COM OK, but it’s not a “film”. Hustler’s a film - COM’s a movie.

Newman only got the acting Oscar for COM because he deserved it for Hustler.

pj
chgo