i lightened up on my stroke by 30%, and im playing better

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct, pool isn't tennis or baseball. So you are infering it is acceptable to use the term when describing those sports. Well that would be hypocritical.

We don't need to criticize everyone, on every detail, on every second of the day.
Quit drinking the cool-aid.

Quit acting like an idiot. This isn't about political correctness. It's about getting the facts straight. Pool is not a game of physical strength. It's about good stroke timing for both men and women. Obviously you don't know that.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not an instructor
it seems that any grip comfortable outside of a "death grip"
is a good one
personally, I like a light grip.."like holding a baby bird," I was once told

That's not necessarily true. If you use the same grip tension for every shot, you're playing the game wrong. Everyone has their preferred grip range, which is what I think we're talking about here, but a good player has to know when to tighten up and when to loosen up according to a particular shot.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Hi Scott

Can you describe what's too light of a grip?
I'm working on finding a sweet spot but right now I'm playing better with nearly zero grip pressure.

If the cue drops from your hand to clatter on the table, your grip is too light.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Quit acting like an idiot. This isn't about political correctness. It's about getting the facts straight. Pool is not a game of physical strength. It's about good stroke timing for both men and women. Obviously you don't know that.

1) Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. I'm sure you read the comment about "acting like a man", but choose to remain silent. I'm not surprised at all.
BTW, personal character attacks are frowned upon on this forum and my get you banned. I personally don't mind, I have tough skin. Don't worry, I won't go running to report you like some would do. I could care less.

2) Of course it is. It started with your response to "hit like a girl" comment. You made it political.

3) I didn't say it was and the OP didn't say it was. If you read my comment to the OP, I suggested a lighter hit was beneficial.

4) Another attack on my perceived intelligence by you. Thank you...a double win. (See comment 1)

Smile and have a good day. :smile:
Feelings mend without stitches.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. I'm sure you read the comment about "acting like a man", but choose to remain silent. I'm not surprised at all.
BTW, personal character attacks are frowned upon on this forum and my get you banned. I personally don't mind, I have tough skin. Don't worry, I won't go running to report you like some would do. I could care less.

2) Of course it is. It started with your response to "hit like a girl" comment. You made it political.

3) I didn't say it was and the OP didn't say it was. If you read my comment to the OP, I suggested a lighter hit was beneficial.

4) Another attack on my perceived intelligence by you. Thank you...a double win. (See comment 1)

Smile and have a good day. :smile:
Feelings mend without stitches.

Hey pal, you were the name caller. I just retaliated. If you can't take the heat, get out. You're not doing anybody any good by being unproductive in your lack of advice here. As is my policy, you can have the final word. I'm done conversing with you.

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Hey pal, you were the name caller. I just retaliated. If you can't take the heat, get out. You're not doing anybody any good by being unproductive in your lack of advice here. As is my policy, you can have the final word. I'm done conversing with you.

:smile:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not necessarily true. If you use the same grip tension for every shot, you're playing the game wrong. Everyone has their preferred grip range, which is what I think we're talking about here, but a good player has to know when to tighten up and when to loosen up according to a particular shot.

hi fran, thanks for the clarification and I agree
there is definitely a spectrum of grip tightness to take advantage of

while we're at it
is there any shot that requires, or even just benefits from choking the cue?
aside from a person's cue balance being off, I can't think of one
unless that's just what you like, of course

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi fran, thanks for the clarification and I agree
there is definitely a spectrum of grip tightness to take advantage of

while we're at it
is there any shot that requires, or even just benefits from choking the cue?
aside from a person's cue balance being off, I can't think of one
unless that's just what you like, of course

By choking, I'm assuming you don't mean choking-up. You mean tight grip, right? Well, yes, for different reasons. Take the break for instance: If you stay loose on a break shot, the cue will fly out of your hands. It happened to me in a pro tournament. Landed on the table in front of mine, LOL. Luckily, no one was playing on it at the time. Also, when power breaking there is a slight transfer of power from a tighter grip to the cue. It may not be much, but it's there. But the tight grip doesn't have to be throughout the stroke. It can also be a grab just at impact.

Also, a tight grip helps when shooting shots off the rail with the cb frozen to the rail. With a loose grip, you're at risk of a miscue on those shots.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...is there any shot that requires, or even just benefits from [gripping the cue tightly]?
I don't think so.

No matter how tight your grip, at impact with the CB the cue is effectively disconnected from the grip because the hand's soft skin gives. This means every shot acts like you threw the cue at the CB with no grip at all.

So changing grip pressure from shot to shot is just another way your stroke can be pulled offline. I suggest finding one grip (if possible) that's the same no matter what the shot speed.

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By choking, I'm assuming you don't mean choking-up. You mean tight grip, right? Well, yes, for different reasons. Take the break for instance: If you stay loose on a break shot, the cue will fly out of your hands. It happened to me in a pro tournament. Landed on the table in front of mine, LOL. Luckily, no one was playing on it at the time. Also, when power breaking there is a slight transfer of power from a tighter grip to the cue. It may not be much, but it's there. But the tight grip doesn't have to be throughout the stroke. It can also be a grab just at impact.

Also, a tight grip helps when shooting shots off the rail with the cb frozen to the rail. With a loose grip, you're at risk of a miscue on those shots.

hi fran, thanks for your reply
I did mean tight/death grip
I've read here about possible power transfer from a tighter grip
as you indicate I would be surprised if it added up to very much
and it seems like there might be a significant tradeoff
as an example
try really tightening up and throwing a punch
when I do it, not only do I not get as much power behind the punch
but my accuracy is decreased

I think when we do the "death grip," our muscles are not allowed to lengthen
and get maximum purchase from our technique
so we actually get less power out of a given stroke
I think it's also less easy to involve the rest of the body when focusing so much
on tightening just the arm, etc.
further depriving us of power/energy
and as an added disadvantage, tip steer becomes more likely
ironically, from not being able to control the cue
I think that a relaxed grip (to the point of not hurling a cue like a javelin, of course ^_^)
and working with the cue/gravity, as opposed to trying to control things too much
is most conducive to shooting energetic and accurate pool

I do agree that there is a range of grip we can and do use
but I think it's often so subtle we're usually not very conscious of it
unless for example cueing off the rail, as you mention
where personally, I like to press down on the cue a bit to keep it in place

I don't think so.

No matter how tight your grip, at impact with the CB the cue is effectively disconnected from the grip because the hand's soft skin gives. This means every shot acts like you threw the cue at the CB with no grip at all.

So changing grip pressure from shot to shot is just another way your stroke can be pulled offline. I suggest finding one grip (if possible) that's the same no matter what the shot speed.

pj
chgo

hi pat and thanks for chiming in
agree eliminating variables is a great way to achieve consistency
of course everybody is different and there are different situations
but if somebody asked me
I would certainly advocate for consistency, if possible

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think so.

pj
chgo

Unfortunately, I can't bring the person here who told me about varying grip pressure --- Ray Schuler. Ray was a smart guy and an engineer, so his background was scientific.

But despite Ray's absence, I think grip pressure and it's effect at impact is an interesting topic for discussion. I experimented with Gene Nagy a lot in throwing the cue and studying it's effects. We found that on certain shots, zero grip pressure at impact will give you certain things that you couldn't achieve with a grip on the cue at impact. I experimented with throwing the cue for the better part of a year. The cue vibrates more at impact with no grip than it does with a grip. I think there was a device out -- was it called 'the limb?' It was a rubber add-on to the cue to reduce cue vibration. Similar concept.

There are times when you don't want that extra vibration. It works both ways.

If you're interested in experimenting with throwing the cue, pick one that you don't care about. It beats up the cue. I have a photo of me throwing the cue but I don't know how to post it here.

I never competed solely by throwing the cue but a strong player named Nick Manino did. I threw it maybe a few times in competition for particular shots, but the reaction you get from the spectators is that you made a mistake and lost the cue unless you do it for every shot. Then it looks intentional.

So after all this writing, my point to you is that you don't really know what it's like to have no grip on the cue unless you actually experiment and release your grip completely and gauge the results.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi fran, thanks for your reply
I did mean tight/death grip
I've read here about possible power transfer from a tighter grip
as you indicate I would be surprised if it added up to very much
and it seems like there might be a significant tradeoff
as an example
try really tightening up and throwing a punch
when I do it, not only do I not get as much power behind the punch
but my accuracy is decreased

I think when we do the "death grip," our muscles are not allowed to lengthen
and get maximum purchase from our technique
so we actually get less power out of a given stroke
I think it's also less easy to involve the rest of the body when focusing so much
on tightening just the arm, etc.
further depriving us of power/energy
and as an added disadvantage, tip steer becomes more likely
ironically, from not being able to control the cue
I think that a relaxed grip (to the point of not hurling a cue like a javelin, of course ^_^)
and working with the cue/gravity, as opposed to trying to control things too much
is most conducive to shooting energetic and accurate pool

I do agree that there is a range of grip we can and do use
but I think it's often so subtle we're usually not very conscious of it
unless for example cueing off the rail, as you mention
where personally, I like to press down on the cue a bit to keep it in place

Overall I agree with you about the death grip. It's not something I would recommend. There is a wide range of grip pressures before the death grip that are most useful, though.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Unfortunately, I can't bring the person here who told me about varying grip pressure --- Ray Schuler. Ray was a smart guy and an engineer, so his background was scientific.
I visited Ray a time or two at his shop here in the Chicago area - a pool world force for sure.

But despite Ray's absence, I think grip pressure and it's effect at impact is an interesting topic for discussion. I experimented with Gene Nagy a lot in throwing the cue and studying it's effects. We found that on certain shots, zero grip pressure at impact will give you certain things that you couldn't achieve with a grip on the cue at impact. I experimented with throwing the cue for the better part of a year. The cue vibrates more at impact with no grip than it does with a grip. I think there was a device out -- was it called 'the limb?' It was a rubber add-on to the cue to reduce cue vibration. Similar concept.

There are times when you don't want that extra vibration. It works both ways.

If you're interested in experimenting with throwing the cue, pick one that you don't care about. It beats up the cue. I have a photo of me throwing the cue but I don't know how to post it here.

I never competed solely by throwing the cue but a strong player named Nick Manino did. I threw it maybe a few times in competition for particular shots, but the reaction you get from the spectators is that you made a mistake and lost the cue unless you do it for every shot. Then it looks intentional.

So after all this writing, my point to you is that you don't really know what it's like to have no grip on the cue unless you actually experiment and release your grip completely and gauge the results.
I've never thrown my cue - might just give it a try for science. Thanks for the suggestion.

pj <- would've liked to see you and Nick doing it
chgo

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visited Ray a time or two at his shop here in the Chicago area - a pool world force for sure.

I've never thrown my cue - might just give it a try for science. Thanks for the suggestion.

pj <-

Throwing a cue is eye opening. Played with it for about a year or so.

If your cue won't slip easily, you'll get similar results just laying the cue on one finger. No other contact. I used my index finger with the others pointing to the floor.

Only a few occasions did the cue land on the table, so it was more of a slip than a throw. 2-3 inch slip.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member