14.1 Scoring needs to be revamped !!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey All,

I had a thought this weekend while i was at my buddies house sparring on his Victorian Table.

I Had taken a breakshot and pocketted it, slammed into the rack and made 5 more balls off the break. (total of 6) (yeah i layed into this break a bit)

That being said, i feel that the additional balls should be spotted. since 14.1 is a gentleman's game and not so much a lucky game. In addition i dont think they should count towards a run since you did not call all of them. the same should be said if you pocket multiple balls at any point in a rack.

What do you all think ?

Last edited:

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The balls do not spot, plain and simple. Being a gentleman has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Hey All,

I had a thought this weekend while i was at my buddies house sparring on his Victorian Table.

I Had taken a breakshot and pocketted it, slammed into the rack and made 5 more balls off the break. (total of 6) (yeah i layed into this break a bit)

That being said, i feel that the additional balls should be spotted. since 14.1 is a gentleman's game and not so much a lucky game. In addition i dont think they should count towards a run since you did not call all of them. the same should be said if you pocket multiple balls at any point in a rack.

What do you all think ?

The game of 14.1 is already a perfect game as it is. Please don't try to mess with it. Just leave it in it's already perfect format.

They messed with the game of 9 ball quite a few years back(Texas Express) trying to speed it up for TV play and I think they messed up that game a little bit from the original format.

Please just leave it as it is.

Thanks

Kevin

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... a gentleman's game ... What do you all think ?
I think that if a gentleman shot a break shot and the cue ball locked against the side of the rack leaving no shot and no safe but towards the end of the shot a ball, after having gone four cushion and two kisses, came over and hit the rack just right to barely dislodge the cue ball and leave two easy shots and the gentleman said, "Oh, I'm very sorry," and rolled the cue ball back against the rack and started to figure out some kind of safe -- if all of that happened -- I think I would say, "Oh, goodness, I have to be in Oakland in 20 minutes," and leave as quickly as possible.

I would rather play straight pool.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game of 14.1 is already a perfect game as it is. Please don't try to mess with it. Just leave it in it's already perfect format.

They messed with the game of 9 ball quite a few years back(Texas Express) trying to speed it up for TV play and I think they messed up that game a little bit from the original format.

Please just leave it as it is.

Thanks

Kevin

Couldn’t say it any better.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I agree with you all, believe me. Just kinda awkward getting that many points on a breakshot.

I broke so hard you woulda thought I was playing 8Ball...lol

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you all, believe me. Just kinda awkward getting that many points on a breakshot.

I broke so hard you woulda thought I was playing 8Ball...lol

This thread does raise this question in my mind, for anyone to answer: What is the highest number of balls that you have made when playing a break shot?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Steve,
You run the 2nd biggest straight pool league in the NYC/LI area if not the East Coast, so you're in a position for some empirical experimentation. Perhaps for next season, implement it as a league handicap.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok then. Just so long as it's clear that this is all in jest. Sometimes I just can't tell, and it makes me very tense. Sorry.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a rule question. When using the bridge is it a rule that you must have one hand on the bridge while executing the shot?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey All,

What do you all think ?
I think it's always considered as a bonus, for any additional balls pocketed on the same shot, as long as you pocket the called ball. I don't think it's very often more than 2 other balls are pocketed in addition to the called ball, and having the balls spotted back up is kind of penalizing you for pocketing them, as you'll likely need to break them out again.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I think this is a bad idea, and here is why:

Why on Gods green earth do you want to punish someone for going into balls? If I go into a cluster I don't want to have to worry about a ball going in and possibly tie up other balls in the spot area! Laying into the breakshot when you have a good one, is one of the great pleasures of straight pool. Now you're going to discourage that? Nope, I'm sorry, I don't like it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Straight pool is perfect the way it is. It is a simple, yet elegant game, something which is very, very hard to achieve.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is a bad idea, and here is why:

Why on Gods green earth do you want to punish someone for going into balls? If I go into a cluster I don't want to have to worry about a ball going in and possibly tie up other balls in the spot area! Laying into the breakshot when you have a good one, is one of the great pleasures of straight pool. Now you're going to discourage that? Nope, I'm sorry, I don't like it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Straight pool is perfect the way it is. It is a simple, yet elegant game, something which is very, very hard to achieve.
Agreed - 14.1 is the perfect pool game regardless of how easy or tough the table it is being played on. It's just sad that more players haven't realized it.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
It takes skill to generate a quality break shot, therefore balls pocketed during that shot were not strictly through chance.