Here's one for you guys

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get stuff like this in all the time, but usually don't post them. I got to thinking after other people posting simular pictures of repairs, and figured It may be a good idea to show the right ways, and wrong way to do repair, so we see less of this kind of work out there. Well here's one I Just got in. As can be seen from the cross section I took out, the last repair job was not done so well. Not mine BTW, and I have no idea who did this. They capped this ferrule, but look at the tenon, not only is the front part too small, with huge gaps at both sides, and between the cap and tenon face, but they did'nt even fill It with glue to help keep It from getting crushed LOL, so the cap just shattered, and when I got this in, the guy had a slip on ferrule over It that He was using. Needless to say, when I'm done with this one, the owner should feel a big difference in the feel of his cue. Hopefully It's a positive difference for Him.;) :)

Greg

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the picture

Picture of the ferrule

Attachments

• funnyferulletenon2.JPG
    funnyferulletenon2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 834

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is the Power Piston Technology you are looking at. Not my cup of tea, but there is a reason it is done that way. It allows the front part of the ferrule to compress then snap back to give more english and power. If it is not a Meucci they are using his power piston design.

DiamondDave

Yes, I rather like Snake!
Silver Member
That seems to be the way a lot of Meucci Ferrules are installed. Almost all of the ones I've seen have a thick tenon at the base and then half way up they are thinner. When those worthless things break they don't look like theres any glue in them either. The one that you show looks like better quality work than most of the Meuccis I have worked on though. I could go on for hours about the (lack of) quality of current Meucci cues.

Dave

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you guys got Me quickly on that one ;) :D , I tried to hide It, because I hate dropping names on repairs:rolleyes:, but good answer. It is this technology, and why I see alot of them. I don't aggree with the design either because the material does'nt seem to work well with It. I get many of them that are crushed & most people opt to go with a standard fitted ferrule when they see what happens, others because they simply don't like the feel. I have shot with one of the one PP's that had all white in the cue, and I have to admitt the feel did'nt impress me. I kept thinking there was something wrong with the cue, but is was brand new. This was when they first came out. Not trying to put It down, I just don't get It. This brings Me to a question- How do others treat this situation & what material do You use? Do You stick with the original design or do You recomend to the customer to go with a traditional tenon? If you stick with the original, then what material? The MP is only in tube form now days Correct? so how would You cap It or what is the best substitute?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Cue Crazy said:
Well you guys got Me quickly on that one ;) :D , I tried to hide It, because I hate dropping names on repairs:rolleyes:, but good answer. It is this technology, and why I see alot of them. I don't aggree with the design either because the material does'nt seem to work well with It. I get many of them that are crushed & most people opt to go with a standard fitted ferrule when they see what happens, others because they simply don't like the feel. I have shot with one of the one PP's that had all white in the cue, and I have to admitt the feel did'nt impress me. I kept thinking there was something wrong with the cue, but is was brand new. This was when they first came out. Not trying to put It down, I just don't get It. This brings Me to a question- How do others treat this situation & what material do You use? Do You stick with the original design or do You recomend to the customer to go with a traditional tenon? If you stick with the original, then what material? The MP is only in tube form now days Correct? so how would You cap It or what is the best substitute?
Wait till you see the newer Black Dots.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Crazy said:

Are you going to tell the customer that the shaft will now play differently because of the repair?

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Webb said:
Are you going to tell the customer that the shaft will now play differently because of the repair?

That would be the only way, the difference will be noticable for sure, but I'd feel the same way even if I thought the change would'nt be noticable. My dad had to call the guy anyway, and talk to him, because this one had a slip-on ferrule, and originally came in as a tip job & shaft cleaning, not a ferrule job, when I pulled the slip-on off I could see the ferrule was crushed. The red mark up at the top near the joint told me what was up with It, so I peeled It back, and this is what I found. I opted to just fit the bore of the ferrule to the tenon matching both shoulders for now, so that I can easily restore them back to original If need Be.:)

Greg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Crazy said:
That would be the only way, the difference will be noticable for sure, but I'd feel the same way even if I thought the change would'nt be noticable. My dad had to call the guy anyway, and talk to him, because this one had a slip-on ferrule, and originally came in as a tip job & shaft cleaning, not a ferrule job, when I pulled the slip-on off I could see the ferrule was crushed. The red mark up at the top near the joint told me what was up with It, so I peeled It back, and this is what I found. I opted to just fit the bore of the ferrule to the tenon matching both shoulders for now, so that I can easily restore them back to original If need Be.:)

Greg

Tap, Tap ,.!

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
cueman said:
That is the Power Piston Technology you are looking at. Not my cup of tea, but there is a reason it is done that way. It allows the front part of the ferrule to compress then snap back to give more english and power. If it is not a Meucci they are using his power piston design.

I dont know when Meucci came up with that idea of a ferrule compressing and springing back but I designed such a ferrule using hard rubber about 5 years ago.

http://home.stx.rr.com/n5wrx/Breakferrule.html

They never caught on but the few I installed got rave reviews.

Willee