Jackpot Cue

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith McCready received a Jackpot Cue yesterday, and what a surprise! I did not tell him it was coming, so he was really happy to receive this cue.

He couldn't wait to open the Postal Priority package to see what was inside, and as soon as he did, he screwed the shaft with the butt and started stroking it. ["Screw," "shaft," "butt," and "stroking." I'm glad y'all know what I'm talking about because these words are unusual for mainstream America.] :eek:

Keith said the cue feels great in his hands, and he really likes the smooth shafts. When he said this about the smooth shafts, I said, "Keith, come on, man. All shafts are smooth." And he said, "No, they're not. Absolutely, not all shafts are smooth." I didn't know that.

He also mentioned he liked the shape of the shaft, the width, but best of all for him, he said the forward balance is perfect. He can't wait to get out there and hit some balls.

I can tell you this about a pool player, a pool player who's really a full-time pool player, and what he knows and does best is play pool their entire life. It really doesn't matter where the pool cue came from or who made it or what kind of maple is being used. It's all about the hit, the infamous hit, and how the cue plays.

I'll be reporting back in this thread after Keith goes out and hits some balls with the Jackpot Cue along with photos. He needs to get a haircut first. He's sporting the COVID-19 hairdo right now.

Just thought I'd share the news. :)

They are mighty fine cues and play as well as any cue being sold on here, but "hit" is subjective and every player may like something different.

I have two of these cues and seven shafts. Every shaft is super smooth and every one that RandyinHawaii has is the same.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are mighty fine cues and play as well as any cue being sold on here, but "hit" is subjective and every player may like something different.

I have two of these cues and seven shafts. Every shaft is super smooth and everyone that RandyInHawaii has is the same.

True dat. You're absolutely right about the hit being subjective. I won't know what Keith thinks about the hit until he goes out and hits balls, of course.

But what he did like about it was the forward balance and the shaft width. Keith always likes a skinny butt and shafts with a long taper.

In fact, I'm going to transcribe his words about the shaft here in this thread verbatim, so he can explain the "smoothness" I was trying to convey. I thought all shafts were smooth too, but he said no. I will let him explain what he meant. :smile:

Thanks for your reply, HawaiianEye.

Stand by.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
How dare you dissect my words to mean what you want them to mean. Who the heck do you think you are? :angry:

I have every right to relay Keith's words on this forum verbatim, and I did that. Deanoc wrote to me a long time ago that he wanted to get Keith's take on this "Jackpot Cue." I didn't think anything of it, though, as time passed by. Then out of the blue, a few days ago, he asked for our address, and 2 days later, we received the package.

Keith did, indeed, say those exact words about the shaft. Maybe you need to get your rough hands sanded so you know what smooth feels like.

My statement about a "real pool player" was not meant to insult anyone. It was meant to say Keith has expertise on pool cues as he plays pool many more hours than most. You can interpret this as an insult if you like, but it wasn't meant to be.

Why don't you shove it where the sun don't shine, ideologist? Now, that's an insult, just so you know.

Chill Jam, ideologist had a beef with Deanoc, he is on some mission to trash Deanoc ever chance he gets. Reason unknown? Could be envy of Deanoc.

Some day he will find a new mission, hope soon. JMHO.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True dat. You're absolutely right about the hit being subjective. I won't know what Keith thinks about the hit until he goes out and hits balls, of course.

But what he did like about it was the forward balance and the shaft width. Keith always likes a skinny butt and shafts with a long taper.

In fact, I'm going to transcribe his words about the shaft here in this thread verbatim, so he can explain the "smoothness" I was trying to convey. I thought all shafts were smooth too, but he said no. I will let him explain what he meant. :smile:

Thanks for your reply, HawaiianEye.

Stand by.

Both of mine can be seen in this thread. One has a maple handle and the other has a camphor burl handle that was cored by Larry Vigus.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=510848

If we see a photo of Keith holding the Jackpot cue and he is smiling or maybe giving thumbs up,
perhaps that will keep this thread from turning into a Deja Vu series of posts criticizing Deanoc.
If Keith seems truly pleased with the cue, that’s a strong endorsement as far as I’m concerned.

Even if it were Efren indorsing the cue, would you still pay $500 for one, knowing that it was made by Schmelke?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am transcribing what Keith said here. I would have him login to his AzBilliards account, but we forgot the password, and I don't feel like messing with the emails back and forth for new password creations. Here goes.

KEITH McCREADY: First of all, I got two shafts. One shaft that I have on there, the grain of the wood is real smooth. For a new shaft, it seemed like it wouldn't take me long at all to get the shaft to where I needed it to be.

I will do a little work on the taper to getting it to exactly where I like it, but I do that with all my shafts. I need long tapers, and I blacken my tips, all my tips, and I nickel every one of them.

When I get done with it, the cue will be just fine. A lot of people don't know what they're doing with cue sticks when they get them, and it goes with hitting balls and shaping the cue to where you like it. It takes a little bit of time. But with this particular shaft, I don't think it will take that long. And the smoothness and the grain of the shaft, I really like.

For a first time, out of the box, Sneaky Pete/Plain Jane, I think the wood on this is pretty solid. It's got forward balance, which is a must. It's just a good, all-around solid piece of wood.

By the way, what is Dean's last name? I want to thank him. I wasn't expecting this gift from him and didn't know about it until yesterday when it arrived. I really appreciate the gift, and you will be hearing more about the cue stick in the near future after I go out and hit balls.

Earthquake out.

[End of transcription.]

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deano-damage-control. Give a cue away and hope no one remembers what happened. Nice try.

Good grief. What is wrong with you guys, man?

I created this thread on my own. Deanoc has no input or knowledge of me creating this thread. For anyone to think so, that means that their thinking is warped. They think everybody is warped because they're warped. Hurt people hurt people, as they say.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good grief. What is wrong with you guys, man?

I created this thread on my own. Deanoc has no input or knowledge of me creating this thread. For anyone to think so, that means that their thinking is warped. They think everybody is warped because they're warped. Hurt people hurt people, as they say.
After what all transpired during the Jackpot deal did you really think posting this was NOT going to get replies like mine?? You opened the gate i just drove thru it. I guess some have real short memories.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After what all transpired during the Jackpot deal did you really think posting this was NOT going to get replies like mine?? You opened the gate i just drove thru it. I guess some have real short memories.

If you have a beef with the guy, that's your problem. Not mine.

I wrote this thread based on my experience with him. Just take that old, worn-out, warped jalopy you're driving in and keep on trucking, preferably past this thread.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I hope when Keith has the time to post his impression of the JackPot Cue, he does that. An evualation of his Jackpot, the good, bad if anything is bad, and last his over all impression of how the Cue plays.

Hope so.

Maybe the Nuckleheads will say that was a fair evualation.

JMHO

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Chill Jam, ideologist had a beef with Deanoc, he is on some mission to trash Deanoc ever chance he gets. Reason unknown? Could be envy of Deanoc.

Some day he will find a new mission, hope soon. JMHO.

Hi Cowboy;

You know that ideologist didn't have "a beef with Deanoc". What he had, and like many other az'ers including myself had, was a problem with how Dean deceived so many in this community with his inaccurate and relentless marketing of the Jackpot cues.

Jackasses like yourself can continue to defend him til the cows come home if you'd like; many others aren't so quick to look the other way when such behavior is exhibited. This goes way past differences of opinion, btw, it's about right vs wrong.

Dean went on a self imposed vacation that lasted just a few weeks, now as part of his re-entry back into the azb marketing community, he sent JAM a free Jackpot cue for evaluation; someone whom he carefully chose because he received sympathetic support from her during his being found out for selling $200 Schmelke's to customers as $600 Jackpots - for whatever reasons she was cool with that. I'm fairly certain she would never pay $600 for the cue she received.

As part of the cue evaluation by Keith who, ftr, I admire greatly, I'd like him to be asked if he could buy this cue for $200 direct from the maker, Schmelke, or buy it for $600 from a middle man who created the distinct impression that they were being made by Jack Potter, which option would he choose?

For the umpteenth time, it never really mattered how good or bad the cues were so even if Keith says it's the best cue he's ever hit with in his life, that's not going to change the fact that Dean broke a number of rules here along with being flat out deceptive and inconsiderate in his marketing of these Jackpot cues.

JAM, he's paying you and playing you for an endorsement (that he got in your op) as he restarts his azb marketing plan.

Ol' Dean, he's a slick one.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:
If you have a beef with the guy, that's your problem. Not mine.

I wrote this thread based on my experience with him. Just take that old, worn-out, warped jalopy you're driving in and keep on trucking, preferably past this thread.

People who are upset about what Deanoc did are not going to do that though.

He sold cues, and gave his customers the impression that Jack Potter personally custom made those cues, but in reality, those cues were made by Schmelke.

He did it for a very good cause, to help out a friend in need, but that does not make it right, about what he did.

Keith McCready received a very nice gift, of a nice custom cue, and I believe that he may not know the true story behind these cues.

You may not have known the story either, if you were not on AZB at the time when all that mess was going on, about the facts coming out about Schmelke being the builder of the Jackpot cues.

I have read that most of the buyers, except for maybe 1, were happy with their purchase, so I guess that is all that matters (that the buyer is happy).

I can understand why people would be angry though, to learn about a long time, and very well known and trusted AZB member, deceiving other members though. It is not something that anyone will soon forget about, and I can't imagine that reading a good review about Keith McCready being very happy about the quality and playability of his new Jackpot cues is going to change anyone's poor opinion about what happened, with Deanoc deceiving his buyers.

I am sure it is a good quality cue though. The Jackpot just has a tainted image now, in my opinion.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People who are upset about what Deanoc did are not going to do that though.

He sold cues, and gave his customers the impression that Jack Potter personally custom made those cues, but in reality, those cues were made by Schmelke.

He did it for a very good cause, to help out a friend in need, but that does not make it right, about what he did.

Keith McCready received a very nice gift, of a nice custom cue, and I believe that he may not know the true story behind these cues.

You may not have known the story either, if you were not on AZB at the time when all that mess was going on, about the facts coming out about Schmelke being the builder of the Jackpot cues.

I have read that most of the buyers, except for maybe 1, were happy with their purchase, so I guess that is all that matters (that the buyer is happy).

I can understand why people would be angry though, to learn about a long time, and very well known and trusted AZB member, deceiving other members though. It is not something that anyone will soon forget about, and I can't imagine that reading a good review about Keith McCready being very happy about the quality and playability of his new Jackpot cues is going to change anyone's poor opinion about what happened, with Deanoc deceiving his buyers.

I am sure it is a good quality cue though. The Jackpot just has a tainted image now, in my opinion.
Very well stated. One last ting before i bail here: if you're going to open a thread on an open/public forum you better be ready to fade whatever responses it gets. You don't get to decide the who's-n-how's of how your thread is received or answered.

Well I hope when Keith has the time to post his impression of the JackPot Cue, he does that. An evualation of his Jackpot, the good, bad if anything is bad, and last his over all impression of how the Cue plays.

Hope so.

Maybe the Nuckleheads will say that was a fair evualation.

JMHO

When a Pro player receives a free pool cue from a company. That company sent that free gift in hopes of the well known Pro player giving a good review of the product. I just can't imagine that anyone would give a bad or poor review of a product that they received for free. They are going to say only nice things about the product, and if anything bad in their mind, they would usually not make those thoughts public.

I do not know if this is the reason that Keith received one of those Jackpot cues though. It may have just been a gift, with no strings attached. With hopes for an honest good review of the cue.

It does not change the fact that they were made by Schmelke though. Good cue, but NOT a $500 value cue.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take, I'v already gone in on Dean about his sells technique about the Jackpots, so did a chunk of the forums, some people defended him, let's move it on, I mean if it ain't even Dean's personal thread no reason to turn it into a full-on Dean bashing thread.

If a respected member wants to share their view on a cue they should be able to, be it Jam or HawaiianEye, even a Jackpot.
Me and Jim argued about Dean, but never about the playability of the cue, how can I say Jim's cue is no good or not worth more than a factory schmekle if I never hit with it, might be worth more to me than 600.00.

Heck I think for the most part almost everyone said they didn't play like a normal schmekle, and who am I or anyone to tell someone if a cue hits good or not, I can comment on Deans sales techniques though, and I have beat that horse to a pulp.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a Pro player receives a free pool cue from a company. That company sent that free gift in hopes of the well known Pro player giving a good review of the product. I just can't imagine that anyone would give a bad or poor review of a product that they received for free. They are going to say only nice things about the product, and if anything bad in their mind, they would usually not make those thoughts public.

I do not know if this is the reason that Keith received one of those Jackpot cues though. It may have just been a gift, with no strings attached. With hopes for an honest good review of the cue.

It does not change the fact that they were made by Schmelke though. Good cue, but NOT a $500 value cue.

Welcome to the forums, you sure are in the mix for your join date, lol. Some good points though regarding when folks get free things, I think there is a bit of an unspoken rule that social media gets the good comments and the company sending out the free product gets the bad reviews.