Barack Obama greatest presidential pool player...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
One of Gail's and I's favoritest movies is "The American President" staring Michael Douglas. It's a great, romantic American movie; he gives an incredible speech at the end; and there are numerous wonderful, memorable moments thought out the film.

But anywhos, Douglas and Martin Sheen hit a few in the White House pool room and its a good moment in the film. I believe El Presidente is playing with a Ginacue.

Lou Figueroa

Agreed, great scene in a great movie.

Douglas, playing a President whose wife has recently died, confesses over a pool game to his close friend and political adviser (played by Martin Sheen) that he's lonely and is thinking of asking out the lobbyist he'd just met (played by Annette Bening). Sheen, concerned about the political incorrectness angle, comments that he can arrange some companionship for Douglas, after which Douglas memorably retorts, in rough terms, "What is this, Vegas?"

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember that Pres. Obama picture was taken by a photographer and consequently,
his bridge may have just started being formed or before he was ready to shoot. In the
photo with the cue ball on the rail, there is a table right behind him and you can tell it’s
really close by the size proportion of the beverage glass. In the photo shooting behind
his back, he employs a closed bridge that looks great. In the other photo, it looks like he
didn’t finish forming his bridge that was still loose unlike the bridge used for the behind the
back shot. Heck, just celebrate the fact that he appears to enjoy playing pool. It never hurts.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember that Pres. Obama picture was taken by a photographer and consequently,
his bridge may have just started being formed or before he was ready to shoot. In the
photo with the cue ball on the rail, there is a table right behind him and you can tell it’s
really close by the size proportion of the beverage glass. In the photo shooting behind
his back, he employs a closed bridge that looks great. In the other photo, it looks like he
didn’t finish forming his bridge that was still loose unlike the bridge used for the behind the
back shot. Heck, just celebrate the fact that he appears to enjoy playing pool. It never hurts.
I agree the offhanded closed bridge on the behind the back shot photo looks great, but can’t buy your argument that he hasn’t finished forming his closed bridge yet on the other two photos. Never seen a good player with a fundamentally sound closed bridge get down on the table without their index finger being properly wrapped around the shaft from the start.

However, the perfectly straight vertical head position as well as the cue appearing to be aligned directly between his eyes/under his chin, are quite impressive for a POTUS!

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other thing associated with Chris’s observation is his eyes in that photo
are looking at the object ball & IMO, looks like he’s really focused on the OB.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a video of that same event. Looks like a good APA 4.

He did spend well over a decade in Chicago so he may have some extra banking and one pocket skills.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know about that - his attempt at a closed bridge on the top photo looks very loose / flimsy to me, as does his attempt at a closed rail bridge in the bottom photo. The best looking of the three bridges was with his behind the back bridge with his right hand in the middle photo, which I’m assuming is not his normal bridge hand.

I agree. In the others it looks better.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gosh, why move it?

No one is expressing political discourse, debate or disagreement.

It is about pool and so what if the former President is discussed.

The posts have not been about policies or issues, former or current.

Sounds like you have your own agenda in mind for objecting to this thread.

I am delighted this thread hasn’t degraded into something deserving of NPR.

Cudos to everyone that’s commented because this is how the Forum used to be.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It appears that he knows how to use a cue. I thought for a while that there was a brunswick in the White House. If that we the case and I were president, all the world leaders would be hearing pool balls go into pockets during conference calls. lol

It's actually annoying as hell if you are on the other end and way louder then you would think. At least that's what my bosses and coworkers tell me.

Most of my conference calls from home during this ****ing pandemic are spent around the pool table with myself muted until I have something to chime in on.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Here is Obie playing pool. Banger at best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_TRpIHkgMs

Here is a blurb about pool playing Presidents:

The sixth President, John Quincy Adams had his own pool table brought down to the White House from his home in Massachusetts during his presidency and was attacked for it by supporters of Andrew Jackson in the election of 1828, for promoting gambling in the Executive Mansion. Ironically, Andrew Jackson was a pool player and had the reputation of being something of a pool shark as a young man. President Ulysses S. Grant was an enthusiastic player and had a pool table installed in the White House during his term as President. He often played with his close friend and principle adviser, General William Tecumseh Sherman, who was Secretary of War at the time.

Chicken Feather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anytime a President can promote the game is a good thing. After the Americans won the Mosconi cup, Trump had a photo-op with the players to congratulate them. I think it was the subject of a thread here, and included a picture of a young Ivanka at the table.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I wish I had time to look it up but when a table was added to the White House for I think less then $100 congress through a fit and said it was frivolous spending. I think it was in the encyclopedia of pool.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I always like a high stakes ring game, but he's lined up a little right.

Attachments

• pool leaders.jpg
    pool leaders.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 238

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to see Presidents play because it indirectly promotes the game.

Obama was trying to save pool.

I believe he went out a few times to play.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I like to see Presidents play because it indirectly promotes the game.

Obama was trying to save pool.

I believe he went out a few times to play.

Save pool, I thought that is what room owners do, tournament organizers and backers do and even celebrity pool players.

Jasmin Ouschan is well publicized in her country, check her instagram.