CPBA Worsted Cloth, Cheaper alternative to simonis

Bryce1552

Registered
Well months in with the weather getting colder I've been playing pool more and so far so good this stuff has really held up well, There are some long white marks I've had trouble brushing out from going to low on practicing draw shots I assume the same would be done to any felt but they're only noticeable to me really.

Overall I'm happy with the product for the price it can't be beat I would recommend a professional install as it seems to have relaxed a bit but nothing you can really pinch or pull up. With a professional install on the table and all the rails I think you'd still be into this less than just the material for Simonis. I don't think I'll wear the stuff out in my lifetime with just home practice couple hundred racks on it now and no signs of wear aside from the aforementioned "scratches" and I'm sure they could be cleaned if someone was so inclined.

I dont think the simonis is worth the premium at least comparing it to the stuff at my local pool hall and at the half the price of some of the non-worsted wool on the market this is the top dog on value in my book.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Testing it on 12 valleys and 2 diamonds right now. I already have mid-west distribution set up with CPBA, we are going to rebrand it as our house brand. Price and Quality are there. Especially for the room owner that is going to replace annually.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:
are you still a reseller? interested in trying it on my table before installing on others.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Sorry, I am not. They had a lot of issues getting it to me during covid. You can order it on Amazon.

TFT
Okay, thanks for the update. How did the cloth perform over time? Just looking for an affordable alternative for my customers.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Okay, thanks for the update. How did the cloth perform over time? Just looking for an affordable alternative for my customers.
I found it to lose its color a lil fast, but, it played well and it is very durable. Worth the investment.

TFT

realkingcobra

Silver Member
a little off the subject.
Has anyone ever had a custom suit made from pool table cloth?
Simonis has been in the woolen, fabric textiles industry for over 300 years, making cloth for pool, snooker, and billiards is a sideline for them, so what does that tell you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just a tip I recently purchased an oversized 8 AE Schmidt pool table and finished my basement to accommodate it and after the remodel I was left kind of on a budget but the original felt was really worn out ( I purchased the table used ) so I checked amazon and found this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGB9X5Y?ref_=pe_1811570_136791410_E_Asin_Title

I took a chance and ordered it after seeing it was apparently used in the china 9 ball open I figured if its good enough for them its good enough for a complete novice, my local pool hall/bar with diamond tables has 860 on it and this seems to play a bit faster but its certainly new and after taking care to trim a few strings it installed easily and stretched fairly similar to simonis according to my installer with a little bit more give.

I've only had the chance to bang around a few dozen balls on it but initial impressions are good and the tournament blue color really is great. I understand simonis is the world class standard but if you're looking for cloth with no nap that plays fast this is a great alternative at less than half the price!

Might be worth a shot next time you recover your table it certainly feels and plays a lot better than the championship cloth my installer was trying to pitch me for same price

word of advice I'd make sure you tell them you dont want there logo on your rails or they'll print it across the rail strips.
Have you ever had Simonis cloth on a table before that you own?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just a tip I recently purchased an oversized 8 AE Schmidt pool table and finished my basement to accommodate it and after the remodel I was left kind of on a budget but the original felt was really worn out ( I purchased the table used ) so I checked amazon and found this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGB9X5Y?ref_=pe_1811570_136791410_E_Asin_Title

I took a chance and ordered it after seeing it was apparently used in the china 9 ball open I figured if its good enough for them its good enough for a complete novice, my local pool hall/bar with diamond tables has 860 on it and this seems to play a bit faster but its certainly new and after taking care to trim a few strings it installed easily and stretched fairly similar to simonis according to my installer with a little bit more give.

I've only had the chance to bang around a few dozen balls on it but initial impressions are good and the tournament blue color really is great. I understand simonis is the world class standard but if you're looking for cloth with no nap that plays fast this is a great alternative at less than half the price!

Might be worth a shot next time you recover your table it certainly feels and plays a lot better than the championship cloth my installer was trying to pitch me for same price

word of advice I'd make sure you tell them you dont want there logo on your rails or they'll print it across the rail strips.
See, here's the thing, cloth should really be reviewed when it's being replaced, not when it's new. And no home table use is ever going to get the play the cloth would be exposed to in commercial use. The cloth you're reviewing may look good when its first installed, but whats it going to look like 6 months down the road? In your house it may last just fine, yet in a commercial environment, it may look like shit in 6 months.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Update, I spoke with my wholesaler and he is having a hard time getting large quantities.
I also think CPBA is who is making Predator cloth?? If that is true, they likely will not make it easily available here. The cloth wears great, the color not so much.

TFT

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update, I spoke with my wholesaler and he is having a hard time getting large quantities.
I also think CPBA is who is making Predator cloth?? If that is true, they likely will not make it easily available here. The cloth wears great, the color not so much.

TFT
Its made in China is all i've been able to find. There are a few over there that make really good cloth: ANDY, CPBA and YTT. All have been making worsted billiard cloth quite a while. I'm sure there's others but these are kinda the 'big 3' of Chinese/Taiwanese cloth. YTT is rarely seen outside Asia/Australia, etc. Been around since mid-60's. I've never seen it but it has a very good rep. The 900 is their tourn. grade stuff. http://en.yttbilliard.com.tw/product-detail-829769.html

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Its made in China is all i've been able to find. These are a few over there that make really good cloth: ANDY, CPBA and YTT. All have been making worsted billiard cloth quite a while. I'm sure there's others but these are kinda the 'big 3' of Chinese/Taiwanese cloth.
CPBA= Chinese Professional Billiard Association. They claim to be the manufacturer on their site. I have played on Andy and its nice. Gorina is another worsted that I have installed and played on, good product as well. I went from being able to get lots of CPBA and now barely any. I noticed them and Predator doing events in Asia together and that is what made me think of the possibility that is who is making their cloth.

TFT