The "arc of the light" aiming system

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Fred and the Con Artist.Back hand english seems to be the only form of english compatible with aiming systems at least as far as Iknow.Perhaps tuck and roll could be implemented as well?
RJ

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read about this aiming system, but the problem I have with it is there are many different lights above pool tables. Some rooms have lighting above tables which is the same size as the table with many fluorescent tubes. And then look at all the lighting above for a "TV Table".

So I felt this system was not something I could rely on in every situation and never bothered to learn it.

Of course if you always play on the same table this would be OK as well as the "spot on the wall" aiming system.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Was told about the "playing by the lights" system twenty five years ago, Can't believe that people are still serious about it. Some systems may work, but IMO feel and muscle memory are the only real way to go.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
jimmyg said:
Was told about the "playing by the lights" system twenty five years ago, Can't believe that people are still serious about it. Some systems may work, but IMO feel and muscle memory are the only real way to go.

I like the laser vision system: choose what part of the pocket you want the object ball to go into, then draw an ice blue laser line from that point straight back through the object ball you want to pot, fix that point on the ball in your mind's eye, move over behind the cue ball, connect the contact point on the cue ball to the blue laser spot on the object ball, decide how you want to shoot the shot, center ball, high,low, inside/outside english, etc., keep your eye on that target spot on the object ball, instinctively line up behind the cue ball, stroke rapidly to make sure your cue is on like for the shot you've chosen, fix your eyes on the contact point on the object ball, stroke the cue ball perfectly, watch the object ball pot. Shoot the same shot another 100 times or so and get the "feels' for the shot. Go out and beat the world.

Really pretty simple when you think about it.:D

Flex
Flex

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Flex said:
I like the laser vision system: choose what part of the pocket you want the object ball to go into, then draw an ice blue laser line from that point straight back through the object ball you want to pot, fix that point on the ball in your mind's eye, move over behind the cue ball, connect the contact point on the cue ball to the blue laser spot on the object ball, decide how you want to shoot the shot, center ball, high,low, inside/outside english, etc., keep your eye on that target spot on the object ball, instinctively line up behind the cue ball, stroke rapidly to make sure your cue is on like for the shot you've chosen, fix your eyes on the contact point on the object ball, stroke the cue ball perfectly, watch the object ball pot. Shoot the same shot another 100 times or so and get the "feels' for the shot. Go out and beat the world.

Really pretty simple when you think about it.:D

Flex
Flex

Finally, now I get it. Thanks!!

T0dd-Pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've heard of it

when i was real young that is how i learned to shoot pool. to pocket balls i was told to find the light on the ball and hitt it to pocket the ball. it worked real well when i was young. i don't hardly use it anymore but when i play with new players i always tell them to try to hitt the light you see on the ball and it works most of the time for them. someone posted earlyer that it is a good way to start out and i agree with that.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recoveryjones,

I will be looking forward to meeting with you in person to learn a bit more about this system.

Thank you for sharing.:)

Richard

GTeye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read alot of books and watched alot of videos about all sorts of aiming systems but to me, these aiming systems are not intended to be something that someone uses for their entire pool career but more as something just to aid in the initial learning process until you naturally start aiming and feeling the angles and can dump these silly systems that make you think far too much and imo complicates everything more than it needs to be.

I think if after 10-15 years of playing pool I'm still looking for lights on a object ball I'd be looking for a different hobby.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Post

poolcuemaster said:
I think it helps to train your aim and you get away from using it most of the time after your mind starts aiming for you.

This is what I was trying to say to DM when we were talking about aiming systems. I think that a system of aiming will help you when you first start playing. After you've shot a gazillion balls, you're mind becomes the system you use. Your mind is like a computer, after a while, you just know where to aim the ball.

When I watch the pros play, they seem to me to shoot by feel most of the time. When there's a really tough shot, they look like they're using the ghost ball method, i.e., they'll line up the ob, then line up the cb and shoot.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Nick only problem is Kevin can't reach my shins, and for only 200 dollars I will explain light aiming a little better.postal money orders only.

GTeye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to wait for the image of Jesus to appear on the ball and then I know I have the shot aimed correctly.

This system requires 500 hail mary's per night however and can be quite time consuming.

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
i personally tried the lights on the balls along time ago and made a few shots but it wasn't really that consistent, so i dropped it. I use three systems, Small Ball, Aim and Pivot, and Swivel well the pivot and the swivel are just alike so two systems.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rickw said:
This is what I was trying to say to DM when we were talking about aiming systems. I think that a system of aiming will help you when you first start playing. After you've shot a gazillion balls, you're mind becomes the system you use. Your mind is like a computer, after a while, you just know where to aim the ball.

When I watch the pros play, they seem to me to shoot by feel most of the time. When there's a really tough shot, they look like they're using the ghost ball method, i.e., they'll line up the ob, then line up the cb and shoot.
This is a good post.

Question: Do you think the vast majority of players are closer to the professionals' level of play such that considering an aiming aiming system is behind them?

IMO, compared to professionals, the vast majority of us are rank amateurs and beginners, regardless of how many years we've been playing.

Fred

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
If you first practice in complete darkness for several hours, then when you do turn the lights on you will notice a great improvement almost immediately.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
This is a good post.

Question: Do you think the vast majority of players are closer to the professionals' level of play such that considering an aiming aiming system is behind them?

IMO, compared to professionals, the vast majority of us are rank amateurs and beginners, regardless of how many years we've been playing.

Fred

Regarding your first question, the answer is no. However, I don't think it matters whether the player is a pro or an amateur, after they've practiced and hit a certain # of balls (I don't know what that # is and it's probaby different for everyone), they will start shooting with feel as opposed to a system even if they don't play that well.

I totally agree with your last comment. The difference even between a short stop and a pro makes the short stop look like a rank amateur and the short stops make the rest of us look pretty weak. Given this, I still think most people that play a lot, even if they don't play that good, tend to dispense with the system and rely more on their feeling of where to hit the ball the more they play. JMHO and my observations over the years.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I have found that the lights are useful for seeing parallel lines on the table. If I'm trying to line something up, and I'm holding my cue over the table the bulbs will cast 3 parallel shadows across the table. It has been helpful for lining up banks.

When I'm lining up a shot and I'm over looking at the OB I'll notice the way the light is falling on the ball and use it to keep track of where the contact point will be as I move back over the CB to shoot. Doesn't matter whather it's tubes or bulbs, for that matter I might just be focusing on a point on the OB and the light has nothing to do with it.... Boy that sounds ambiguous...:confused:

McCue Banger McCue

meucci

meucci
maybe everybody have his aiming system but what we need is the message from our mind to tell us the ball is going to pocket...
try to do not shot until you have the message from your mind
now you are waiting the message this time is your real time because that there is fast player and the is slower player .
you should wait for message ;)