Jason Shaw, classless?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The player we love to hate. Especially when he's playing SVB. I look at it all like it was pro wrasslin'...a schtick put on for the fans. I don't personally know any of these top pros, so don't really like or dislike any of them.

Just enjoy the show, folks...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup encourages that type of goofy behavior.
I thought Dennis Hatch went a little overboard last year but it’s just part of the show.
I ignored Shaw when he was winning and enjoyed his sour look when he was loosing

He tossed his case through the class door or window at Steinway one time not too long ago, I don't think he needs much encouragement. Dennis I think was just trying to keep up with the silliness the European fans and players were putting out.

Jayson was playing up to the crowd though, to me that was the worst part of the event. Grown ups should not have be told to hush several times every turn at the table like kindergartners.

I wold rank my annoyances in this order

Euro Fans acting like they are at a soccer or boxing match
Table being easier than yo momma
Jayson acting like king rooster after every game win
Too many jump shots again, and crapped in balls, but at least this time it went USA's way. Every other Cup the Europeans got the best of the jumping and missed balls finding another hole.

Grandslam

Registered
Classless????

It seems to be implied from above posts that to generate interest in the sport of pool you have to put on some type of show like wrestling to draw the fans. The belief that one has to perform to the least common denominator of behavior and be a loud classless ass to enhance his sport is ridiculous. I suggest looking at GOLF and the type of behavior you see on TV as the example of how to act. The success of the PGA cannot be questioned. Look at their prize money and what our pool pros play for its night and day. Our pool pros would be thrilled to play for what the golfers compete for. Maybe you don't have to build your game around classless assholes, we do in pool and how is that working out.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
The fact that we're talking about it means nothing but good for the Mosconi Cup. Anything short of an all out fist fight, in fact, is probably encouraged. It raises the emotions of the fans, which is probably good for the event and future attendance.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to be implied from above posts that to generate interest in the sport of pool you have to put on some type of show like wrestling to draw the fans. The belief that one has to perform to the least common denominator of behavior and be a loud classless ass to enhance his sport is ridiculous. I suggest looking at GOLF and the type of behavior you see on TV as the example of how to act. The success of the PGA cannot be questioned. Look at their prize money and what our pool pros play for its night and day. Our pool pros would be thrilled to play for what the golfers compete for. Maybe you don't have to build your game around classless assholes, we do in pool and how is that working out.

That’s the thing. This event is modeled after the Ryder Cup of golf.

https://youtu.be/eJEYHu_HZJk

Meanwhile the rest of pool from World Cup of Pool, World Pool Series, World Pool Masters, US Open, Derby City, etc. aren’t designed to be this kind of spectacle just like other golf events aren’t designed to be this kind of spectacle.

What makes the Mosconi Cup special is that it is different, especially with the unique way it generates pressure on the players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact that we're talking about it means nothing but good for the Mosconi Cup. Anything short of an all out fist fight, in fact, is probably encouraged. It raises the emotions of the fans, which is probably good for the event and future attendance.

Matchroom know what they're doing. Just look at what they do for darts, a game that's little more than a glorified spit-ball shooting contest.

If the people complaining want to feel like they're at church, then they should go to church.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
The only reason golf is so successful is the number of people who play it. If you're not bit by the golf bug, golf is just slightly more exciting to watch than grass growing.

Please don't take pool there. I watch the Mosconi Cup in part because of the Euro crowd. I hope next years match the Americans get more rowdy.

Imo, the sport could use the color and needs more of it. I've said it before, Mic the players, encourage them to be vocal, think shots out loud, talk sh!t. Don't take it to golf etiquette, pool players aren't like golfers in the least.

Respect is respect, when the player is down, shut up. Other than that, let it go.

As for Shaw, he had to eat that big talk sh!t sandwich and that was great. That kind of stuff shouldn't be fabricated, but let players be themselves.

Strickland is fun to watch for me because of how colorful he is. The Fats/Mosconi match was fun because the players were vocal and talked.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Didn’t SVB rake the balls and rage quit some bar table event over some petty BS when playing Deuel? I think most pool players have their moments. I try not to hold it against them.

That I cannot say for sure, but I definitely wouldn't bet against it lol...

Everything in life is a product of its environment, the only difference in anything is to what extreme. Pool players in general are notorious crybabies and move artists. That doesn't necessarily mean in a malicious way, or trying to underhand someone monetarily but if its a person like Shaw or Earl (just to use two names that come up frequently) its all part of what their environment has molded them into. Earl was on top of the world several times, when you reach that point you feel no one has the right to beat you. Shaw is a great player and could have the same mindset, which in the long run never turns out well. Whether its an issue with racking, breaking, throwing tantrums, quitting mid set, stiffing someone, dumping, sandbagging handicaps, sharking...etc it all happens and more often than not you always see the same repeat offenders popping up on the billiard mobile patrol.

Its not just with pool but anything that involves competition. I know less about sports than deano does about posting pics of cues in those mile long ramblings, not throwing him under the bus just stating that's his move. I do however fancy myself a tiny bit knowledgeable in MMA. That being said i'm sure everyone remembers Ronda Rousey's plummet into the abyss after she said Holly didn't have the right to beat her. Well, after she got that ass beat a few times she changed her tune. Jon Jones, repeat offender on the eye pokes. Colby Covington, loud mouth arrogant a$$hole. The Diaz brothers, smoked two joints then smoked two more. Brock Lesnar, not only lame AF but failed more drug tests than hes passed. That doesnt mean theyre bad folks, they just happen to make headlines more than anyone. Its not going to change, ever, as long as society puts drama, misery and discontent on the forefront it will thrive. The media is the biggest for profit group of hate mongers on the planet, do people tune in to see a virtually extinct rhino giving birth to a baby in an attempt to save its species, no they fast forward to race related crimes, disasters and the political outhouse that America has become because that's what draws in ratings. AZB is a media outlet for pool, this thread and myself are prime examples of what make this statement 100% fact. I saw the Jason Shaw classless headline and tuned right in.

$H - gotta get one long post in before the year is over :grin:

racetoday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw reminds me of Conor McGregor. Flamboyant and cocky.

Which is okay, I've always though you want a broad and distinct variety of personalities in any given sport to give fans a feel for the players. Good for the sport. You need the bad guys just as much as you need your hero's.

Is Shaw classless is a matter of interpretation.

racetoday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn’t SVB rake the balls and rage quit some bar table event over some petty BS when playing Deuel? I think most pool players have their moments. I try not to hold it against them.

Agreed. Everybody deserves a hall pass every now and then.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Everybody deserves a hall pass every now and then.

I try to be my best as much as I can but it’d be tough if me at my worst was immortalized on the Internet for all to judge.

Denis The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Jason is a great talent. Always exciting to watch!! he brings a lot to the sport and he was cheering on his team. In Europe this is normal.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re Jayson Shaw waving his arms and getting the crowd involved prior to shooting the 9 ball - he upped the ante this year by doing all that several times with two balls left and at least once with three balls left - with a long pause before shooting the 7 ball. Would have loved to see him choke and fail to finish - but have to give him credit for winning all those games - that takes supreme confidence.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s the mosconi cup man.. it’s just different. He did the same thing to skyler and when skyler came back to win it he shook his hand like a man. I’m cool with him

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s the mosconi cup man.. it’s just different. He did the same thing to skyler and when skyler came back to win it he shook his hand like a man. I’m cool with him

Shaw had a smirk saying “I deserve that,” when Skylar showboated before his final 9-ball. I look at it this way. If it wasn’t for Shaw’s prior showboating that wouldn’t have been as delicious.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's just another a55hat with a stroke.

I will ignore him, as I always have until he either quits pool or quits being an a55hat.....which ever comes first. Don't matter to me.

The pool world in general would never miss him.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re Jayson Shaw waving his arms and getting the crowd involved prior to shooting the 9 ball - he upped the ante this year by doing all that several times with two balls left and at least once with three balls left - with a long pause before shooting the 7 ball. Would have loved to see him choke and fail to finish - but have to give him credit for winning all those games - that takes supreme confidence.
Someone had to take Earl's place as the bad boy of pro pool, since Earl is no longer that relevant. Although I don't like Shaw, he has a long ways to go before he approaches Earl's level of disrespect that he consistently has shown towards most of his opponents for most of his career, particularly when things are not going his way.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

This is an exact scenario of what happend once at the DCC. Jeanette Lee was playing someone giving up a decent spot and the fella was shooting his case 7 ball dead straight into the corner, maybe slightly above the side pocket. He gets pumped and either hyped his crew up or maybe even took a bathroom break...long story short he dogged that like I did not betting the draw on Fury vs Wilder or Canelo vs GGG 1. Everything’s funny until you look like a dummy :thumbup:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone had to take Earl's place as the bad boy of pro pool, since Earl is no longer that relevant. Although I don't like Shaw, he has a long ways to go before he approaches Earl's level of disrespect that he consistently has shown towards most of his opponents for most of his career, particularly when things are not going his way.

IMO, it's a bad move to compare Shaw to the Pearl.