Jason Shaw, classless?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignore the luck bit...I think we know what he's really getting at...he wants it to be a male model walk-off...Zoolander style next time round ;-)

The funniest part about such statements is if it was just a luck for Europe to hold the cup so many years then team USA did nothing special finally winning it being just a bit more lucky this year ;)

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
While I'm sure that some of what we see is Shaw's actual emotions, I wouldn't be surprised if Matchroom told them to act like that as well.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think Karl Boyes is the model for the Mosconi Cup bad guy....
...he plays it well and with a bit of taste....

Karl knows where the line is.......I like him

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Shaw was complaining about SVB racks in a RYO 9-ball tournament. He made SVB re-rack and still didn't like it. SVB broke and ran that rack. The next rack Shaw inspected the rack and when SVB was getting down to break, Shaw swept the balls and unscrewed his cue. Don't remember the score at the time, but believe the incident is on youtube.

Shane also had a similar incident at a tournament overseas in Asia against Ronnie Alcano. In this tournament the 10-ball had to be called. SVB had straight in 10-ball. The ball was about a foot from the pocket and he didn't call it. Ronnie called him on it and the ref called a foul. SVB just unscrewed his cue and forfeited the match.

Everyone has their moments. I don't care for Shaw, but believe he was just playing a role. He was the first European player to congratulate Sky for the MVP. And I really hope Bergman torches him again in Feb.
I was right there when it happened,and shaw was a baby,knew shane was shooting holes in him,and was looking for a way out. Shane did nothing wrong and i was sitting right there.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funniest part about such statements is if it was just a luck for Europe to hold the cup so many years then team USA did nothing special finally winning it being just a bit more lucky this year ;)

Indeed :)

Europe had a good run, but as others have pointed out, the better you play the luckier you get...the US outplayed us this year and deserved to win, it was a great cup and a great finish, which is good for the sport too! Also, although I wanted my team to win, I couldn't help but feel SVB deserved a win finally (I know he's had one in the past, but it felt like he really earned it this time round)!

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed :)

Europe had a good run, but as others have pointed out, the better you play the luckier you get...the US outplayed us this year and deserved to win, it was a great cup and a great finish, which is good for the sport too! Also, although I wanted my team to win, I couldn't help but feel SVB deserved a win finally (I know he's had one in the past, but it felt like he really earned it this time round)!
Luck comes to prepared... No doubts team USA deserved the win so as SVB to close the battle and Skyler to get the MVP. And yes this year's MC was one of the best I've seen in spite of the fact my team was defeated.

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
The way the players celebrate creates the energy that then feeds the live audience which then feeds the TV/Internet audience. If you want boring pool, watch the WPA world championship in Qatar. If you want exciting pool, watch the Mosconi Cup.

Exactly... Boring means naptime. May as well watch a cooking show. Look at the whole reasoning Nascar Racing was popular...Because people wanted to see wrecks. Now that Dale Senior died. Nascar puts in all of these rules to keep drivers from crashing. Now they have whinny brat drivers too. But no more audience. Want boring?? Turn on a cooking show.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been my experience that the only people who enjoy watching douchebags act like douchebags, are other douchebags.

YMMV. :thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Which cooking shows are you watching?
They have come a long way since cooking with Julia.

Ya mean like this?

74E8789C-5C81-4005-8437-883B33EB8F67.jpeg

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
So, it's Jayson who's the object of hatred de jour. Before it was Boyes, Strickland, whomever. Look, there are lots of "classless" people in pool, it's one of the things I like the least about the game, but it is what it is. Do I have to list the numerous indiscretions perpetrated by other players, such as cheating etc? Those acts are truely classless.

For instance I remember Appleton getting a lot of flak for his jumping on the table etc in the world championship, I remember not being a big fan of it myself. But you know, he won me over with his tireless work for the benefit of the game. He's a great guy, who for instance helps out people with special needs playing pool. I regret having ever said anything about that display of emotions back then. I don't know Jayson, but I won't judge him on this kind of behaviour alone.

First and foremost people who jump and shout in pool make themselves look a bit stupid, but IMO that is not even close to being the problem with pool. The problem is with other people: Cheaters, Liars, Scam artists....Pool has been f-ed over so many times by crooked promoters that we have come to expect it. Then there are people who dump and fix matches etc. I'd take 1 million Jaysons over those guys. Personally I don't scream and shout much, it's not my personality. If someone does it against me, I wouldn't be thrilled, either. But I can only control my own actions, and there are much, much bigger fish to fry in the pool world.

Last edited:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Calling him classless is a bit much. He was playing a part, and I certainly understand that given the energy of the crowd. Personally, I enjoyed it. I don't think he did it with malice. Of course I also enjoyed Skyler making him eat it, but that was all in good fun too

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Calling him classless is a bit much. He was playing a part, and I certainly understand that given the energy of the crowd. Personally, I enjoyed it. I don't think he did it with malice. Of course I also enjoyed Skyler making him eat it, but that was all in good fun too

I think the moment when Jayson gave a wry smile when Skylar played the crowd showed that it was all good. Just part of the occasion. There was no ill-feeling in the handshake.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I have said it before....and we ask why the Pros don't come on AZ or abandon once they test the waters. Threads like this. Jayson is emotional guy and he likes to pump up the crowd. This is good for the game. Is it everyone's taste...well obviously not. Did he step over the line. That's a subjective call based on personal bias and perspective. Classless? Overstated, not accurate, inflammatory, bordering on malicious.

Hell it was good TV. Last year with the Eagle head was funny. Notice how team USA went straight to the table top when they won. Where did they learn that move?

This year was a great Mosconi cup. Lets not tarnish it with threads like this. I remember another fiery lefty growing up. John McEnroe. Now he's royalty.

Attachments

• 8237145-large.jpg
    8237145-large.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 189

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did stop watching Shaw after world 14.1 where he played against Earl. That alone told me his personality. trying to get edge within rules. Just bending them so much it is unsportmanship act IMO. I lost all respect to him and it would take a lot to get it back. It seems he is going another way...

Also. This year I was rooting for USA and SVB against Shaw. I was so happy after SVB whitewashed him! :D

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have said it before....and we ask why the Pros don't come on AZ or abandon once they test the waters. Threads like this. Jayson is emotional guy and he likes to pump up the crowd. This is good for the game. Is it everyone's taste...well obviously not. Did he step over the line. That's a subjective call based on personal bias and perspective. Classless? Overstated, not accurate, inflammatory, bordering on malicious.

Hell it was good TV. Last year with the Eagle head was funny. Notice how team USA went straight to the table top when they won. Where did they learn that move?

This year was a great Mosconi cup. Lets not tarnish it with threads like this. I remember another fiery lefty growing up. John McEnroe. Now he's royalty.

Tap, tap, tap. Well said!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how many have seen this guy play other than in the MC? He's been known to show-his-ass more than a few times. I think he has one of THE worst attitudes i've seen in pool in a while, up there with that other a-hole Dechaine. As for McEnroe? He's still a spoiled Long Island douche. Royalty? Gimme a break.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crying like a baby

shaw shows no respect to his opponents , the game , the fans ,the tournaments ...everything .
i didnt wanna see guys crying like babys in the 14.1 world championchip semis .
if i were the tournament director , ive banned him from this event .
same with photografing shanes racking and call him a cheater !!!
stopping teens from acting like that is job from a tournament director .

Last edited:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed it a lot! Even though the crowd was pulling against USA a lot of times, it was fun to watch. I only wish I was there. I loved the singing in the audience between racking.

Jayson is a cool cat as far as I'm concerned. A lot of males don't like him because he is not afraid to show his strength and bravado. Some men feel threatened when another man shows too much. It's the male dog syndrome. Some males always want to be the alpha dog. :wink:

It's called being an asshole.:wink: