Big spot ?

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play my pal 3 or 4 times a week at our rec center and it is usually very one sided,he may win 2 games in a 2 hr session. He likes 8 ball,BIH. He struggles to get out,terrible mechanics and lord knows what his thought process is. I have tried to help but he just does not get it. Today I was so frustrated I gave him the break,BIH after and BIH when I missed.The end result....I won every game,he would make just enough to make a run out pretty easy.He would find a way to scratch or hook himself about every game.I just needed to vent.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
He probably doesn't stand a chance at 8 ball. Get him to play 9 ball, and give him the 7.

He's shooting at the 8 from the start. He might challenge you a little then, if you don't hook him constantly. He only needs to make 2 balls.

However; if you still wear him out, he may give up on pool.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is he requesting the spot?

why not play him even..
doesn't sound like you need the help, but if he's not the one asking for it,
challenge yourself to stay on top of him and who knows,
maybe beating your friend up will help him learn something.

anyway, sounds like a fun game..have fun

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is he requesting the spot?

why not play him even..
doesn't sound like you need the help, but if he's not the one asking for it,
challenge yourself to stay on top of him and who knows,
maybe beating your friend up will help him learn something.

anyway, sounds like a fun game..have fun
Are you nucking futs?

'...today I was so frustrated...needed to vent'...sounds like fun? :slap:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you nucking futs?

'...today I was so frustrated...needed to vent'...sounds like fun? :slap:

shooting pool at a rec center with a pal sounds like fun to me..

chuck, sorry if you take my comment bad..I didn't mean anything by it, was just tryna pick you up pal.

bb, ouch!

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give him Hand Span on every shot.

He'll learn to pocket balls. Move direction. Not have to have to much or to little angle. Not need to worry about your safety play. even increase his chances of breaking open clusters.

HAND SPAN, that's a HUGE spot...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
tough patterns

You can help your shot making and give him a spot without being obvious by picking the toughest pattern to run the table instead of the easiest. If you want to work on banks, kicks or very hard cuts, a good time to try that too.

If he isn't offended by a spot you might try all legal shots but no straight in shots. You have to kick, bank, carom, or combo every shot. That is the spot I used to give people that had some clue but weren't really players. Made things interesting for me and all of the tough shot practice came in handy when I got in action.

Do whatever works for both of you.

Hu

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He probably doesn't stand a chance at 8 ball. Get him to play 9 ball, and give him the 7.

He's shooting at the 8 from the start. He might challenge you a little then, if you don't hook him constantly. He only needs to make 2 balls.

However; if you still wear him out, he may give up on pool.

In my experience beginners only ever want to play 8 ball anyways. I just play them as is, and if they accept advice, I'll happily give it. My bud won a couple of games the other day, and more importantly had his first 4 ball run ever. Constantly reminding them of their own progress always keeps them coming back for more.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a buddy with whom I play billiards. I play 3c and he plays caroms and while it is pretty close, he usually wins the sets to 10 pts.

Piont being...I am not sure pool games really offer a similar handicap that still makes the game engaging for both skill levels.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
You have to shoot in numerical order.

This is the spot I play with my mum :thumbup:

I find it hard to play someone where I always win, I start trying to miss and leave them shots and they usually know it or think they just can’t win and end up messing themselves up and I start feeling like a bully or something lol. I much prefer being the underdog.