Silver Member

Attachments

• fake huebler.jpg
    fake huebler.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 924

Wheeljack

You Know It!
Silver Member
A good friend of mine had a cue exactly like this back in 95-96. I can't say if he bought it new or not, but it was the exact same style. I do not thik this is a fake.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Unless there is a better picture of the shaft insert, it looks like a generic import sneaky Pete, than a Huebler that I've come across. Hate to see someone get ripped off.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My Huebler sneaky has the same clear stick on label only it is a darker stain and it is harder to see . Bought it late 80's at Bowling and Billiards , Ross Ave. in Dallas .

Two of the points line up , the other two don't , never thought about it until i started reading the forums . It has the nylon insert that Huebler used . Maybe he had a helper the day mine was made :grin:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

I have never seen a Heubler Sneaky Pete with a Bumper like, in fact I have never seen a Heubler cue with a bumper like that. I was a dealer for Paul from 2002 until he closed down for good, I use to sell a large number of his Sneaky Pete cues in fact Paul use to sign them for me. Paul always used a Brown Bumper that was a Push in style and also secured with an allen head screw.

The butt decal on the cue looks right though so maybe they did use some like the bumper on the cue pictured in the ebay thread. To tell for certain it would be necessary to have the bumper removed so that the weight bolt can be seen. Heubler cues had a steel collar insert that reinforced the bottom of the butt of the cue from the inside, these inserts had center hole drilled through them and the cues weight bolt held them in place. Paul machined all these parts including the weight bolts and the bumpers in his shop.

Here are some photo's of the Butt insert, weight bolt, Bumper screw, and the bumper.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Is the cue a counter fit cue, I can't say for certain unless I can get a photo of the bottom of the cue with the bumper removed. It is possible that for some reason the bumper on the eBay cue was replaced for some reason, and I think that is the most likely answer to this question, I mean why would anyone want to counter fit a Heubler sneaky pete?

JIMO

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I have never seen a Heubler Sneaky Pete with a Bumper like, in fact I have never seen a Heubler cue with a bumper like that. I was a dealer for Paul from 2002 until he closed down for good, I use to sell a large number of his Sneaky Pete cues in fact Paul use to sign them for me. Paul always used a Brown Bumper that was a Push in style and also secured with an allen head screw.

The butt decal on the cue looks right though so maybe they did use some like the bumper on the cue pictured in the ebay thread. To tell for certain it would be necessary to have the bumper removed so that the weight bolt can be seen. Heubler cues had a steel collar insert that reinforced the bottom of the butt of the cue from the inside, these inserts had center hole drilled through them and the cues weight bolt held them in place. Paul machined all these parts including the weight bolts and the bumpers in his shop.

Here are some photo's of the Butt insert, weight bolt, Bumper screw, and the bumper.

View attachment 172984

View attachment 172985

Is the cue a counter fit cue, I can't say for certain unless I can get a photo of the bottom of the cue with the bumper removed. It is possible that for some reason the bumper on the eBay cue was replaced for some reason, and I think that is the most likely answer to this question, I mean why would anyone want to counter fit a Heubler sneaky pete?

JIMO
I agree. Nothing against Huebler, Paul and his crew made a good cue, but it's just not the kind of thing that someone would counterfeit. It would be like counterfeiting nickels, more trouble than it's worth.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Nothing against Huebler, Paul and his crew made a good cue, but it's just not the kind of thing that someone would counterfeit. It would be like counterfeiting nickels, more trouble than it's worth.

+1
Good observation.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 172984

View attachment 172985

JIMO

Mine is like that , the set screw i think is the star type not allen type , it holds the black bumper but the weight bolt is like the one in your picture , it is from about 89 .The bumper has a smaller push in cap that you can remove to access the set screw .

Rivhardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Huebler sneaky that looks just like this one including the bumper and name. I bought in about 1990. Nice cue.

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huebler

Cant see if the nylon insert is in the shaft. I have had a few of the sneakys, but none with a joint collar, none that didnt have the brown bumper, and none that werent the engraved logo in the butt.

That being said, the logo is the sticker type that is finished over, like the H series from the 90's. I have a H-B that has that same logo on it. So I would assume it to have been built in the 90's.

Like others have said, it would not be cost effective to counterfeit a full splice Huebler sneaky, for what they go for in this soft market. Bumper could have been changed along the say sometime, that is common.

My Huebler Sneaky is not only one of the best hitting Hueblers I have ever had, it is one of the best hitting cues I have ever used.

At the end of the day, I would assume the cue to be real.

Joe
<---- has some Hueblers, but is always looking for more.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Thanks for everyone's input, I'll put it in my notes that its from the 90's Huebler, and it has a sticker logo, instead of engraved. As manwon confirmed, it doesn't have a Huebler bumper.

These are some known characteristics of Hueblers,

The small dome 5/16x18 pin, engraved logo, nylon insert, logo variation.

Attachments

• 516X18V.huebler.png
    516X18V.huebler.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 942
  • huebler3.logo.png
    huebler3.logo.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 891
  • huebler2.logo.png
    huebler2.logo.png
    30 KB · Views: 864
  • huebler.logo.png
    huebler.logo.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 865

poolcrazy

Huebler Collector
Silver Member
Early Huebler Hustler cues

Thats the real deal
Its one of the Cue by Huebler cues, Paul at that time didnt use the same weight bolt in his Hustler cues. When he went to the new logo and the nnew bumper the Logo read Huebler made in USA thats when the bumper was inset inside the cue butt. There are alot of those cues out there but most arnt known because after a short toime the logo rubbed off thats why he went to the Huebler made in USA logo. And fot the record. Dont ever let Paul hear you call his Hustler a Sneeky Pete
I lost about 5 minutes of my behind when I did it the first and only time.
He will Tell you fast he dosent build a Sneeky Pete he builds a Hustler
If you look at the Blue book of cues it shows the Hustler with that bumper
also known as a AS-H1

Last edited:

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
It is real

To qualify myself, I sold Paul's cues in my room for most of the 1980's. Paul did not use a nylon insert on his Hustlers of the 1980's. All of his other cues had them. His Hustlers used a brass insert.

IMO his Hustlers are still one of the best hitting cues around. I still own one of those gems and use it for my traveling cue.

He did use a brown bumper on his line except for the Hustler that had a round black bumper (1980's) and when he sold his shop the bumper that you see in the picture became the norm. Too bad the people that bought his shop couldn't produce the quality that Paul himself put out and thankfully Paul took the business back and produced a limited amount of cues for years after until he retired.

The one pictured may be one of the cues built during that time or after he took control. It is absolutely a Huebler brand cue tho. :)