First 15-0 match win in league!

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played in this modified BCA-rules league for over 20 years, which is over 40 seasons, and at 18 matches a season, more than 720 matches in total. (Some seasons I played two or three different nights, with another 18 matches each night over the season, which I leave out of this total since I don't have an accurate memory of those. That might be another 100 more.)

This has never happened with any of my teams before now. My teams are competitive in the division and sometimes there's a creampuff team of inexperienced players we handle easily at 12-3 or even 13-2. I remember one 14-1 win over a team like that, but just once.

But this was the current first place undefeated team (early season at 6-0, but with wins against two of the other top teams playing at their houses). They were first place last season until late. We have a recent history of playing them close to even. Our typical match scores with them in recent seasons are 8-7 or 9-6 going either way.

I record any time a game is given away with a late foul or scratch, and they gave us no games like that. I guess it was a kind of perfect storm and a very rare combination of factors, and as the goose-egg kept going, maybe there was extra pressure on their players. We played well but not out of our minds, and mostly just executed obvious safes and didn't screw up on our outs.

Our score line is by texting, and the scorekeeper called to verify this score was correct. He found it hard to believe, also. I guess it's just one of those very unlikely things that may happen for no particular reason, if given enough of a sample size. Once in 720 tries is 0.138%. Has it ever happened to you?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A skunk is more liable to happen at the professional level....
...so as far as I’m concerned....fantastic shooting.
:bow-down:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Congratulations. That feeling never gets old, so keep going after it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Enjoy such things when they happen!

That is likely to be a one in a thousand happening, literally. Maybe even longer odds. Some nights magic is in the air. I played eight or ten hours one night, no losses, no scratches even. I rolled like a freight train that night. No good reason.

Another time I realized I had given the other player far far too much of a spot before we hit the first ball. No way I should have won. I not only won, I demolished my opponent. The rest of the hall quit playing their games with time running to come play railbird. Another time that all I could say, magic was in the air! I think the pool gods look down sometimes and say, "Wouldn't it be funny if ..."

These things happen so seldom I still remember both well. Savor your victory!

Hu

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We tried to catch the lightning back to back, with more reason to think we could get it.

Our match was with the last place (no match wins) team last night, on a big pocket 8-footer coin-op, and they were missing a full roster (and their best two players) so they forfeited a game each set (x 3) out of the 15.

We 'only' got a 13-2 win (10-2, for the actual games played). However, they won neither of those two, since two of our players made the 8 in the wrong pocket via a miss and a double bank over.

That is exactly how the most likely skunk matches don't end up that way-- schnitt happens on our end.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Still nice!

We tried to catch the lightning back to back, with more reason to think we could get it.

Our match was with the last place (no match wins) team last night, on a big pocket 8-footer coin-op, and they were missing a full roster (and their best two players) so they forfeited a game each set (x 3) out of the 15.

We 'only' got a 13-2 win (10-2, for the actual games played). However, they won neither of those two, since two of our players made the 8 in the wrong pocket via a miss and a double bank over.

That is exactly how the most likely skunk matches don't end up that way-- schnitt happens on our end.

Y'all may have lost two but the other team didn't win any. I say go for a threepeat!

Hu