The eyes have it!

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
So I'm watching TAR Podcast #19 and looking at Mike D and thinking about how the distance between his eyes seems less than normal. Dennis H. seemed to have the same trait. I wondered if that was a characteristic of really good players, so I went picture hunting. This is what I found.

Face Reading (personology) and Eye Distance
Written by M.Farouk Radwan, MSc.

When talking about the distance between the eyes in face reading I am actually referring to the horizontal distance between the tips of your eyes.

To check whether the distance is big or small you'll need to observe whether the distance between the two eyes is enough for a third eye to fit in . Try to imagine whether your friend can be an alien or not :) If the space is big enough for a third eye to fit then it's considered big and if not then it's considered small.

Someone with a small eye distance: That person has a very powerful ability to concentrate. When he concentrates, he becomes very focused , hates to be disturbed and may easily become stressed as a result. That person has a deep interest in details. If you are telling him a story, then make sure that you include small details that other people may have no concern for. That's the beauty of face reading ! it teaches you how to deal with each person based on his specific personality

That person may also have low tolerance especially if he was emotionally sensitive. People with small eye distance may find it very hard to tolerate temperature changes, traffic jams and external influences. This low tolerance acts as a multiplier to external stressful influences which in turn results in making them angry more often.

Someone with a large eye distance: This person may have trouble concentrating for long periods of time. He is relaxed by nature and doesn't care much about small details. He only focuses on the big picture and this might make him a good manager.

Small eye distance players:

Attachments

• 1Mike Dechaine.jpg
    1Mike Dechaine.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 653
  • 1dennis hatch.jpg
    1dennis hatch.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 633
  • 1ShaneVanBoening.jpg
    1ShaneVanBoening.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 647
  • 1Dennis_Orcollo.jpg
    1Dennis_Orcollo.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 638
  • 1earl_strickland.jpg
    1earl_strickland.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 637

Wags

Silver Member
More Small eye distance players:

Here are some more:

Attachments

• 1darren-appleton-us-10-ball-bar1.jpg
    1darren-appleton-us-10-ball-bar1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 627
  • 1Efren_Reyes_Bio.jpg
    1Efren_Reyes_Bio.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 617
  • 1archer-1.jpg
    1archer-1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 633
  • 1steve-moore-fl1.jpg
    1steve-moore-fl1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 630
  • 1WillieMosconi.jpg
    1WillieMosconi.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 620

Wags

Silver Member
Large Distance Picture

Someone with a large eye distance: This person may have trouble concentrating for long periods of time. He is relaxed by nature and doesn't care much about small details. He only focuses on the big picture and this might make him a good manager.

TAR- Justin

Attachments

• 1Justin-TAR.jpg
    1Justin-TAR.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 693

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A high average of people have exactly enough room in between their eyes for one more eye, like the picture below. Learned this in art class.

attachment.php

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Those that have 2 1/4" distance between their pupils less visual problems than those who have more than 2 1/4" distance between their pupils.

Those with more than 2 1/4" distance between their pupils have to learn PERFECT AIM. :D

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you are looking at is the distance between the epicanthic folds, not the eyes themselves. Changes in this distance can make the eyes look closer or farther apart.

These mid-line facial characteristic can vary to an extent in normal people but can be associated with certain specific disorders that can include mid-line facial defects.

At first I thought this was a joke....but it looks like the OP is serious.

Perhaps some investigation into the Nazi archives and/or phrenology would be of some service in this endeavor. :D

Just teasing. ;)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those that have 2 1/4" distance between their pupils less visual problems than those who have more than 2 1/4" distance between their pupils.

Those with more than 2 1/4" distance between their pupils have to learn PERFECT AIM. :D
I'm sure Gene, if he were here, would submit that "Perfect Aim" can be used by anyone, not just people with a pupil separation distance greater than 2 1/4". Also, a person with a larger pupil separation distance can use a non-square (angled) head alignment to effectively create a smaller separation (although, this approach isn't ideal, as described and illustrated in my July '11 BD article dealing with visual alignment).

FYI, here's a pertinent quote from my August '11 BD article dealing with sighting:
... Diagram 1c shows a sighting approach where you align the inside eye (i.e., the eye on the cut side of the shot) with the inside edge of the CB so you can more clearly visualize the ball-hit fraction (i.e., amount of ball "overlap") required for the desired angle of cut. This is the approach suggested by Gene Albrecht on his “Perfect Aim” DVD. He makes the argument that the inside eye is probably more instrumental in visualizing the amount of ball overlap, so this type of alignment might help some people. For most adults, the eye separation (pupil-to-pupil) distance is just a little larger than the diameter of the CB; so with this approach the cue will always be fairly close to being centered between the eyes. However, because of this pupil-to-pupil distance, there will typically be a slight head shift to the left for cuts to the right, relative to a centered alignment over the cue, and a slight head shift to the right for cuts to the left. ...​

My vision center and sighting resource pages have much more info on these topics, which I think are very interesting and important.

Regards,
Dave

Wags

Silver Member
Not sure myself...

...At first I thought this was a joke....but it looks like the OP is serious....

I don't know if I'm serious or not. Just an interesting observation.

All I know is that from now on if anyone wants to play me, I'll be looking at their stroke and the eye distance. :grin:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I don't know if I'm serious or not. Just an interesting observation.

All I know is that from now on if anyone wants to play me, I'll be looking at their stroke and the eye distance. :grin:

Be darn careful of those with shifty eyes, I mean shifting eyes.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This person has wide set eyes and uses no aiming systems.

Attachments

• pics 397.jpg
    pics 397.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 389

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen a definite tendency......

A friend of mine that plays pretty good. Beau Runnigan, has a very close eye span. When I was showing him Perfect Aim I found that he only had to move very slightly to make the right eye dominant and then the left eye dominant.

It hardly made a difference to him but it did ever so slightly.

Not just Beau but I had noticed this with other players that had their eyes closer together.

We still need to have the dominant eye in the most dominant position to see the shot the most correctly but I believe these players have a small advantage because their eyes almost naturally work like one. And I say almost. It's still very important for them to know where their sweet spot is when they really want to zero in a shot.

Giving a rediculous amount of lessons over the past few years gives me a huge advantage in seeing things that are almost obvious such as this.

But once a player, regardless of their eye width, learns where their sweet spot is and how to keep it there on every shot, there is no advantage for anyone.

we all have 2 hands, 2 eyes, a bunch of fingers. Once the eye thing is taken care of you can envision the shot just as good as anyone. Once you see it right many good things happen. That's why so many players get so excited once they learn how to really see the shot the best.

It is exciting.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was dead serious because he knows........

JoeyA, now that is too funny. :D

Once you really understand how Perfect Aim works it's easy to understand why this could be an advantage.

At the same time though it is kind of funny....:thumbup:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
those that have 2 1/4" distance between their pupils less visual problems than those who have more than 2 1/4" distance between their pupils.

Those with more than 2 1/4" distance between their pupils have to learn perfect aim. :d

lmao joeya !!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
A friend of mine that plays pretty good. Beau Runnigan, has a very close eye span. When I was showing him Perfect Aim I found that he only had to move very slightly to make the right eye dominant and then the left eye dominant.

It hardly made a difference to him but it did ever so slightly.

Not just Beau but I had noticed this with other players that had their eyes closer together.

We still need to have the dominant eye in the most dominant position to see the shot the most correctly but I believe these players have a small advantage because their eyes almost naturally work like one. And I say almost. It's still very important for them to know where their sweet spot is when they really want to zero in a shot.

Giving a rediculous amount of lessons over the past few years gives me a huge advantage in seeing things that are almost obvious such as this.

But once a player, regardless of their eye width, learns where their sweet spot is and how to keep it there on every shot, there is no advantage for anyone.

we all have 2 hands, 2 eyes, a bunch of fingers. Once the eye thing is taken care of you can envision the shot just as good as anyone. Once you see it right many good things happen. That's why so many players get so excited once they learn how to really see the shot the best.

It is exciting.

Like so often-very well choosen words Geno :)
Keep up with your good work!
lg from overseas,

Ingo