Pool Maxims...

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
When playing a Beautiful Woman,never run the table.;)

No Anthony.

Do run the table & then say, 'Well you've seen what I do well. Do you want me to rack so you can break or would you rather show me what you can do well?'

Best,
Rick

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
One I made (though probably someone has said something similar, in dfiferent words).
The right shot is the right shot, even if you miss it.
(and conversely: The wrong shot is the wrong shot even if you make it).
Basically, play the percentages and don't think just because you missed the shot,
it was the wrong shot to take. Don't be that guy who misses and immediately stands up and says
"I shoulda shot this other thing instead". Sometimes the right shot is not the easiest one
to make, or the right shot is just one option out of several missable shots.

This seems to be particularly true in One Pocket. :smile:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
One I made (though probably someone has said something similar, in dfiferent words).

The right shot is the right shot, even if you miss it.

(and conversely: The wrong shot is the wrong shot even if you make it).

Basically, play the percentages and don't think just because you missed the shot,
it was the wrong shot to take. Don't be that guy who misses and immediately stands up and says
"I shoulda shot this other thing instead". Sometimes the right shot is not the easiest one
to make, or the right shot is just one option out of several missable shots.

Well said. The late Irving Crane used to put it as simply as this:

The percentages don't always work

In other words, a shot well conceived and well executed may still produce an undesired result.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one from my hometown that sounded dumb but was really profound.

Hard to hit, but easy to make.

It was said when you didnt have a clear path to the ball, but if you could find a way to hit it, more than likely you were going to make the ball.

I say it often either to myself or out loud when I am playing one pocket as most shots the cue ball is hooked behind the pack or a ball.

It allows me just to focus on making a good hit, verses trying to make a ball.

Ken

Limpkinw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where you look is where you are going to go. (from car/cycke racing but applies to pool as well, keep your eye on the aiming point.)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One that I heard Bob Dickerson make to Christie Dickerson. Bob was an excellent teacher for Christie and she was like a human sponge trying to learn everything Bob was showing her....I tried to listen as Bob was the strongest player in our hometown.

"There are several shots, but only one right one".

I often hear commentators and even league captains say, "Well that will work", I cringe a little because I remember what Bob said. His point was not lost on me. That causes me to look at possible options on most shots.

Ken

Last edited:

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
Here are my favorite two and who I heard it from first:

'If you take care of the simple ones, the hard ones take care of themselves.' - Steve Mizerak

'If you already have position, don't play for it.' - Buddy Hall

Just as an aside, Grady had two Maxims that when used together would guarantee that you would never miss a shot. The first was 'never undercut a ball'. I will keep the last nugget of wisdom for myself.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Here are my favorite two and who I heard it from first:

'If you take care of the simple ones, the hard ones take care of themselves.' - Steve Mizerak

'If you already have position, don't play for it.' - Buddy Hall

Just as an aside, Grady had two Maxims that when used together would guarantee that you would never miss a shot. The first was 'never undercut a ball'. I will keep the last nugget of wisdom for myself.

Never overcut a ball?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One that I say to myself as well:

"Don't try to get perfect shape when good shape will do."

How many times do we draw a ball too far or come too far trying to get perfect shape. Most good players are good shot makers and really dont need perfect shape when good shape makes the ball makeable.

Another one I say: (Damn I didnt know I had so many).

"I have to take my medicine"

Because I am not a great player, just a good player, I often have the choice where I think I can make a difficult shot, but if I try to make the shot and get very good shape, I probably wont make the shot, (ie a shot off angle where I have to apply a lot of english or draw) So I have to "take my medicine" and make the ball, and shoot the next shot with less than ideal position.

Ken

dorabelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you dorabelle. Do you have nothing to contribute?
Something like: "Beautiful women are a distraction." :smile:

If someone is sharking you don't get worked up. It means they are scared and you're in the drivers seat. It's a good sign.