My thoughts on how Shane can improve.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

There have been a couple of good responses here. I wish there was a "like" button and a "do not like so much" button.

The only valuable but maybe not very insightful advice I feel I could give to Shane, which I am sure he already knows is "don't miss next time"

press the green button to the left and you will see what you are looking for.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP just expressed a few thoughts on SVB's situation just for the sake of discussion between fans of the game. Right or wrong they might be, he never implied he has the answers to SVB's game nor that SVB should read his post and take his advice. Why the lots of you try to ridicule him is beyond me. If we have to reach Shane's level of the game to gain the right to discuss matches and tournaments then these forums should be deserted.

The funny part is, odds are that those on here blasting anyone stating what any pro could do to improve himself are the same ones sitting in front of the tv watching football, basketball, or baseball and yelling about every single play and referee call. :rolleyes:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
This is silly. Unless you have competed at, or at the very least have coached someone who competed at this level, it is close to impossible to know what a competitor needs or how to go about aquiring that something. Of course you'd need to know him personally as well.

Shane did not collapse in the final, like for instance Mika once famously did in the finals of the US open. He got some bad rolls against him and made a couple of mistakes. I'm sure he'll learn from them and make the necessary adjustments. Meanwhile he's won so many trophies, I'm sure he'll need to expand his trophy case soon. It's not like he's some charity case in dire need of advice and direction to his life.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree Johnnyt

There is nobody on this site that can or should be tweeking Shanes game. The man is in the top 5 in the world. Are top 1, 2, 3, and 4 on here, if so...who are they? This place is getting to be the biggest pool joke of all. Johnnyt

You never know what happens.

Many times these tournaments are decided at the motel rooms and the traveling problems.

Many players like Shane plays pretty good without enough sleep but it takes it's toll.

Also might even be coming down with a cold or virus.

Can't tweek those.

And sometimes you just flat out just don't feel good.

Good call JohnnyT

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. Shane lost because he hooked himself, quite ridiculously. The pool gods simply do not forgive that level of poor shot, and nor should they.

Shane makes poor errors. That is why he lost.

Shane is one of the baddest players on the planet. I don't know why 60 minutes has not done a piece on this guy. He is an inspiration to anybody that wants to work hard and excel at their sport.

Anybody that plays a lot of nine ball knows that you don't always win. Shane has won a lot and will continue to win in my opinion. The naysayers and nit pickers should just shelve it.

Shane is a champion and nothing is wrong with him. In fact I wish TAR was still around to do a race to 100 between Ko and Shane.

Shane has taken on the best in the world in action and tournaments and his record speaks for itself. He can't win every tournament.

No one can. Ko is a great player himself and I want to congratulate him on winning the world nine ball tournament.

If a man is judged by the quality of his adversaries then I would say we've got action.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
This is the absolute dumbest thing I've read on here. Who the hell are any of us to give Shane advice? When you can beat him, then talk.

I don't know that I particularly agree with the OP's post but I think your belief and statement is much dumber. To think that you have nothing to offer if you can't beat someone or that there is literally nothing someone can offer you if they can't beat you is beyond dumb and is a statement that could only come from someone that hasn't really given that statement and belief any thought. If what you say were true there wouldn't be coaches in any sport or any need for them because coaches are almost always vastly inferior players because they have less physical skill (but of course they almost always have much superior knowledge). Here is what I had to say on the subject recently in another thread:

"One of the biggest factors that separates how good people are in most sports including pool is physical skill, which often overcomes superior knowledge. To think that the best performer has all the knowledge or even the most knowledge of any one person is dumb and easily disproved if you just stop and think about it for all of two seconds. To be a professional level player at almost any sport including pool you just have to have a good knowledge coupled with exceptional physical skill.

Tiger Woods doesn't laugh at his coaches who taught and still teach him, yet none were ever near as good as he was. Not even remotely close, but they know a lot more. Tiger just has superior physical skills that far outweigh their knowledge advantage. There are few if any professional football players who are more knowledgeable about the game than their coaches, but chances are the coach was never anywhere close to as good on the field as anyone on his team due to his lack of physical skills. Examples could literally be endless."

I assure you that Shane and every other pro still have things they could learn from people who couldn't come close to beating them on the table. Pros don't possess all the world's pool knowledge (and sometimes they are remarkably un-knowledgeable considering their skill level). In fact, the people that tend to possess the most knowledge about any particular sport are almost never the most elite performers in that sport, and very often they even suck, badly. Many of them are coaches, but many are just fans.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm much too self absorbed to be anyone's nut hugger, but I will give proper credit when credit is due, and Shane does indeed deserve much. So does Ko. Congrats to both for a job well done.

That said, if I wanted to spout off some unsolicited advice it would not be related to Shanes game, it would be related to his role as an ambassador of the sport/ game.

No doubt he has earned the respect of the industry with his record, his integrity, and his work ethic, so now it's time to use his super powers to change professional pool for the better. Thats what I would do.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
The funny part is, odds are that those on here blasting anyone stating what any pro could do to improve himself are the same ones sitting in front of the tv watching football, basketball, or baseball and yelling about every single play and referee call. :rolleyes:

I agree...also about the same odds that those on here stating what any pro could do to improve himself are the same ones sitting in front of the tv watching football, basketball, or baseball and yelling about every single play and referee call.

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. Shane lost because he hooked himself, quite ridiculously. The pool gods simply do not forgive that level of poor shot, and nor should they.

Shane makes poor errors. That is why he lost.

yea, it wasn't the 12 lucky roles that Ko got in the match… it wasn't the fact that he had less errors than Ko, It wasn't the fact that he shot a higher acustat score, it was the 1 bad shot that shane made in a race to 13.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
yea, it wasn't the 12 lucky roles that Ko got in the match… it wasn't the fact that he had less errors than Ko, It wasn't the fact that he shot a higher acustat score, it was the 1 bad shot that shane made in a race to 13.

I think if Shane could play one shot over...it would be the 6 to the 7 at 9-8 ahead.
..I sensed a little hubris there...he played to park it on a dime when he could've played
it to the middle of the table.

I had a modest bet on Shane....and that's when I felt the wheels fall off.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree...also about the same odds that those on here stating what any pro could do to improve himself are the same ones sitting in front of the tv watching football, basketball, or baseball and yelling about every single play and referee call.

THAT WAS A STRIKE!! WTF UMP?!?!?!?!:eek:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Except every single professional pool player NEEDS to win (or at least cash high enough).

On a scale of 1-10 the "need" to win in pool comes in at about a 3. For one, you can still cash if you dont win the tournament or even if you go 2 and out, or whatever, there are still money games to be had or whatever. And besides, in pool you have another tournament coming up again soon enough to redeem yourself. A player will have many chances to capture the 9ball world championship title alone. Pressure in pool can be tough to deal with because you have so much time to think but in reality the "need" to win in pool is a very minor pressure compared to other sports. But that dont mean a player cant blow the need to win out of proportion and create thevpressure himself.

What about the fighter who every win means major life improvement and a loss means big financial loss in the future, a major setback in your career, or possibly even getting cut? But you still have to fight like you want it and try to relieve that pressure of needing it. You have to accept that many things are going to be out of your control but you are going to go in and do your best and whatever happens happens and your still going to be ok.

In mma you get one shot.
https://youtu.be/6Un9HLDCTCs

Bottom line is when you want it you are always playing to win... when you need it there will be times when you are playing not to lose. There is a world of difference between the two.

Last edited: