Long Straight In Draw Shot

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
It is possible you are delivering off course. You may try to shorten your backswing and use more of a short stroke technique. Don't jerk or quick stroke, a shorter pull, pause, deliver smooth and let the follow through complete naturally on its own.

A long bridge is fine, just pull back less. You could try a shorter bridge but you don't want to choke the stroke. It's not that difficult. Make sure your feet are consistent.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Diagnosing this problem on the internet is like me calling my doctor to tell him I have a pain in my leg.

See an instructor. I read in another thread that you visited with Nick Varner recently, about kicking systems, maybe another visit to him is in order.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Even if one's stroke is perfect & you are not seeing properly for pool you will not be consistent.

You can NOT set up properly nor stroke properly if your eyes or eye is leading you astray.

The first thing to check is your eyes.

If they are off then that is the first thing that needs to be fixed.

IMO, Gene Albrecht is the best thing for a pool player...

even if to just make sure that one does NOT have an issue in that area.

Once one knows that the eyes are seeing properly, one can address other issues properly IF they exists.

Just food for thought.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
What is Gene Albrecht going to do for me over the phone?

Mike,

Gene has a small serious of tests that will tell him what he needs to know & he will then have you do some things to show YOU what you may not have realized.

It was a complete revelation for me even though I have been playing quite well my whole life.

I now know the opposite of what had always thought.

If you don't want to hook up with him, that's fine.

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well phooey, I cant hardly make the straight-in draw shot now when the CB is only about 1 1/2 diamonds away. And its an even bigger struggle when its about 2 1/2 diamonds away.

I may as well just quit shooting this shot.

r/DCP

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Well phooey, I cant hardly make the straight-in draw shot now when the CB is only about 1 1/2 diamonds away. And its an even bigger struggle when its about 2 1/2 diamonds away.

I may as well just quit shooting this shot.

r/DCP

So Mike,

Do you think that it is stroke related or could it perhaps be that you are NOT seeing a straight line as straight but are instead seeing a crooked line as straight?

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Mike,

Do you think that it is stroke related or could it perhaps be that you are NOT seeing a straight line as straight but are instead seeing a crooked line as straight?

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

Both.

But if I had to favor one, i'd say i'm not hitting the CB exactly where I want to. You have to be almost perfect on this shot and if you miss your spot on the CB by about 1/4 tip you might very well miss this shot.

But, like Nick Varner told me the other day, this is a very difficult shot.

r/DCP

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Both.

But if I had to favor one, i'd say i'm not hitting the CB exactly where I want to. You have to be almost perfect on this shot and if you miss your spot on the CB by about 1/4 tip you might very well miss this shot.

But, like Nick Varner told me the other day, this is a very difficult shot.

r/DCP

Mike,

Your not hitting the CB where you want would be a result & not a cause of that result.

I was asking you what do you think is the CAUSE of the rather obvious result.

Have you asked someone to look at your stroke or have you videoed it. Did Nick Varner look at it?

Did he see anything wrong with it?

My point is that when some should not be misses started popping up on me, I went to looking for stroke flaws first & actually thought that I might have found one, but then the reality hit me that why then only for those few misses.

That's when Gene PMd me.

Just food for thought.

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats Gene's id on here?

And not sure what you mean about result and cause. When I have to hit the CB harder I lose accuracy and Nick told me my tip is moving around and therefore not hitting the CB where I am aiming. The result is a missed shot. The cause is my mechanics are off when I need to hit this shot. You almost need a perfect stroke on this shot. As Nick says, this shot provides a lot of good feedback on your stroke.

r/DCP

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Whats Gene's id on here?

And not sure what you mean about result and cause. When I have to hit the CB harder I lose accuracy and Nick told me my tip is moving around and therefore not hitting the CB where I am aiming. The result is a missed shot. The cause is my mechanics are off when I need to hit this shot. You almost need a perfect stroke on this shot. As Nick says, this shot provides a lot of good feedback on your stroke.

r/DCP

He goes by genomachino & has a thread in the aiming forum.

I don't quite see it that way. You need a very good near perfect stroke for nearly every shot of any length on a tight pocket table.

The thing about the straight shot is that one can see it wrong to either side. When there is a cut, we tend to see it from one side or the other. Some see it from the undercut side while others see it from the over cut side.

By that, I mean that we approach it from one of those sides.

With the long straight in, we do not have that 'advantage' & must see it from the dead head on perspective.

Anyway, I know my contact with Gene helped me & I was playing well, but had those odd misses that just should not be popping up & I noticed that they tended to be in one direction more than the other.

Good Luck with It & Best 2 Ya,
Rick

Last edited:

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am not instructor and im sure u could probly use some fundamental instruction but that is not my reason for responding.....i think u could benefit tremendously from a jim rempe or other type of target cue ball.....that way u can see where u are hitting and adjust.....this can also be done with a striped object ball.....u will soon see that if u hit below center with any cue speed at all it draws back....hope this helps if not disregard

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I was talking about this sort of thing with Tom Simpson recently. It gets a tad complex, as everyone here knows, because:

1. Many players are seeing/aiming at a different spot on the cb then they think they are

2. " " the ob

3. " " both targets

Any of 1, 2, or 3 will cause extra swerving in the stroke to "correct".

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Bumping.

A lot of good posts on here.

r/DCP

Here's another. :)

I read this thread this morning and saw sighting issues for you. Even if you're still struggling with sighting issues on straight shots, you can often feel/tell if you're "on" while practice stroking. If you feel "off" stand up and begin again.

This simple move will raise the shot making percentage significantly for most.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dcp, the long straight-in draw shot is a toughie

did you ever sort it out? if so, what helped you improve?

Nope, never figgered it out.

Admittedly the last year I haven't spent a lot of time at the table. Too many other things in retirement that have occupied my time. However, i'm pretty certain that one day the urge to play again will hit me and I will be back at it.

And I am certain this shot will once again plague me...….

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched over to my Predator cue and that seemed to help a little bit. I made four in a row to start with. Then things changed back to normal, then got a little better again.

Could the LD shaft with the Predator cue have a positive impact on this shot for me?

r/DCP