The One Ball Drill

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Feedback on this drill please. You make a ball of the spot and play position for the same location. Shoot until you miss and count the points. Each ball pocketed counts as one point.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love doing this, or something similar to this drill.

I try to leave the cb for a similar angled shot each time, starting with the angle I prefer, which is typically around a halfball shot or slightly thinner or thicker. It's more about cb control for me than simply pocketing ball. I like the point idea though. I've done that with straight in draw shots, where the ob is on the footspot and the cb is about a foot away lined up to shoot the shot straight into one of the nearest corner pockets. Shoot and draw the cb back, then place another ball on the spot and keep doing this until the cb is so out of line that you're no longer able to pocket ball without the cb touching a rail. My best score is 24, or 20 something.

I like what you're doing here, but I shoot the shot until I hit it 15 times in a row, each time getting the cb to where I have a similar shot angle again. Then I'll move the ob to another spot and do it from there.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've done that with straight in draw shots, where the ob is on the footspot and the cb is about a foot away lined up to shoot the shot straight into one of the nearest corner pockets.
Or OB on center spot and shoot into a side pocket - good players struggle to get past 10 shots or so, even if both draw and follow are allowed.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Or OB on center spot and shoot into a side pocket - good players struggle to get past 10 shots or so, even if both draw and follow are allowed.

pj
chgo

It's a good drill. Never tried the center spot to side pocket, but it should be a little easier.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's a good drill. Never tried the center spot to side pocket, but it should be a little easier.
I'm sure it is - even easier if you're allowed to use either side pocket for each shot. I like to challenge players with it because it looks so easy - it's an education in how position errors can accumulate and get out of hand.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you want to work on your stun shots, you could allow all six pockets. Or maybe require all six.:grin-devilish: That would help with drop-pocket tables.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love doing this, or something similar to this drill.

I try to leave the cb for a similar angled shot each time, starting with the angle I prefer, which is typically around a halfball shot or slightly thinner or thicker. It's more about cb control for me than simply pocketing ball. I like the point idea though. I've done that with straight in draw shots, where the ob is on the footspot and the cb is about a foot away lined up to shoot the shot straight into one of the nearest corner pockets. Shoot and draw the cb back, then place another ball on the spot and keep doing this until the cb is so out of line that you're no longer able to pocket ball without the cb touching a rail. My best score is 24, or 20 something.

I like what you're doing here, but I shoot the shot until I hit it 15 times in a row, each time getting the cb to where I have a similar shot angle again. Then I'll move the ob to another spot and do it from there.

Thank you for the feedback BC21. I picked up some good information from your YouTube Channel.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will try the six pocket drill idea. Thank you Bob.
Related to which is a variation of snooker we called "wild pink".

Usually you have to make a 1-point red before you can play a higher-value color. In the variation, you can play the pink (6) at any time but if you miss it your opponent gets 6. The pink returns to the equivalent of the foot spot.

If a good player is involved, this game is a gross filage. You can keep stunning into nearly straight position for your next shot, and if you get straight in and have an accurate draw stroke, you might get a few hundred points before someone finally sprays you with a hose.

PT109 might have a related story.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the feedback BC21. I picked up some good information from your YouTube Channel.

You're welcome! And thanks for watching my YouTube channel.

I also really like Bob's stun shot practice suggestion using all six pockets. I'll have to try that.