How Will It Hit?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Midnight Rider has arrived. Now the question to be answered is "how will it hit?"

I received the cue today and everything worked out almost exactly as planned.

The cue was built to match my Meucci Pro shaft and it fits the cue perfectly. The additional solid-maple shaft was built to the specs I asked for and it looks to be of very nice quality.

I haven't weighed the cue yet, but it is approximately 19.5 ounces and I was shooting to keep it under 20.

It is fully-spliced and not cored and the dimensions of the butt are very close to dimensions of my Pancerny Titlist that I use as my playing cue. This cue is .828 at the butt joint, 1.03 at the top of the wrap, 1.22 at the bottom of the wrap, and 1.26 at the very end of the butt cap.

The pin is black G-10 and there is no metal in the cue, nor a weight bolt. The balance point is almost identical to what my Titlist is...somewhere around the 18-19 inch point. I haven't measured it yet, but I've balanced both cues on my finger. That is approximately 3 inches above the top of my wrap.

I will post some pictures from my phone, but they aren't the best quality. It is sundown here and the lighting isn't the best and my phone camera isn't the greatest.

It looks like you got a great player there. I like such cues... simply pure players. I also like your choice of woods for this cue. The only thing I would suggest for the future such projects to have a little bit more meat in the middle of the jointed cue. So for me it is better to have at least 0,840 at the joint and thinner at the butt if needed than the other way around but in your case you wanted your Meucci shaft fitting the butt...
The only thing I don't understand why so many thought it would be a baseball bat with this combo of woods if they are not cored especially when it does not have any additional weight...only woods and the goal was to be under 20oz. I quess many exaggerate the average dried weight of gaboon ebony or confuse the weight of the wood with its hardness and stiffness. I am not an experienced cuemaker just the opposite I only started to build the cues and just learning. Those three cues are already completed all have pretty heavy exotics in them. It may be I was just crazy trying to build my player using combination of two woods I love. I have a full spliced player with ABW for the forearm and Pau Rosa for the butt and in addition it is extra length cue. The length of the butt is 31.3" ABW weighs 1/3 more than gaboon ebony and Pau Rosa is heavier too. Supposedly I do have a great baseball bat here but I just love the hit of my uncored hardwoods:thumbup:. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463154
I wish you to enjoy your real player.:smile:

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had several people send me private messages asking about this cue, so I figured I'd bump the thread to let more people see the work Schmelke does.

If you are looking for a custom cue that won't break your bank account, you may want to look into what you can get from Schmelke.

You can get a custom cue for less than you will pay for a lot of production cues.