One guy uses the magic rack - Everyone else the wooden rack

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the TD was referring to BCAPL Nationals, he was exactly correct. Since it's introduction, the Magic Ball Rack has been accepted equipment at BCAPL Nationals and most CSI events, and a player may not be denied use of it. The only conditions are that its use MUST be announced before the match starts and the opponent must also be allowed to use it.

Buddy

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Maybe I just get too twisted about nothing.. I'd like your opinions...

I went to a handicapped 9 ball tournament this weekend, fairly small, only about 23 people. All matches in the tournament were played on 7 foot Diamonds, with the wooden rack, except for one guy, (A fairly decent player) who actually brought a magic rack with him to the tournament.

It came down to he and I playing for the hot seat, and right before we play, he mentions that he brought a magic rack, and I immediately say, "Absolutely not, unless I am forced to play with it. I believe the magic rack equalizes play between nonequal players.."

He asks that we allow the tournament director to decide, and of course the director rules that based on "what they do at national tournaments", that he is allowed to use the magic rack, but must allow me to use it if I wish..

I ended up having little to no interest in the match after that, and two-stroked everything, and ended up losing. I tried a bit harder in the loser's bracket, because I was actually looking forward to the double dip attempt, but ended up coming up short in the match for 2nd/3rd, losing hill-hill.

Looking back, the best thing I could have done was to try to beat the guy in the winner's bracket, and let my stick talk for me. I guess it was just really irritating, because I think the guy can't beat me without the magic rack, as he would need to really hit the rack on the break and accept a more random outcome off the break.

Should I have just outright refused to play with the magic rack, as he is the only guy who brought one, and then just accepted the forfeit necessity as a means of concientious objection?

What do you think of the tournament director's decision?

All in all, I feel that I hve exhibited a lot of self control not to post this same post on Facebook, as a ton of people on my friend's list will know who the guy is. I didn't want it to sound like sour grapes, though, and I am looking forward to getting back in stroke enough to where this sort of tactic won't even matter...

Short Bus Russ

To be blunt, this post makes you sound very immature: you didn't get what you wanted so you gave up. Aren't you supposed to "show some heart" and "outrun the nuts*"?

As for the TD's decision, it doesn't matter. No matter how right you think you are, you will never get every decision your way. Are you going to quit every time the TD makes a decision you don't like?

*I have no clue if I used that phrase correctly.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
And if I remember right he had to spot you the first break too

Yup, that's right. 6-0. And I beat two players a rank above him 6-0 and 6-3..

I already said I intentionally two stroked everything, and looked the player right in the eye after every missed shot. It was much more about the principal of the matter to me.

By the by... You can back him in any non-magic rack game you want. Big table... Small table..

Hell... snooker table, even.... :grin: I consider myself a well-rounded player, yah know?

I'll even give him a ball in One Pocket, never having even seen him play a game. He certainly likes to practice banks on the small table. Same difference, right.

You want to be reallll careful about insinuating that he is a better player. The owner of the pool hall where we play had mentioned trying to get us matched up in the past. Me butchering a couple of AAAs in tournaments put an end to that.

Short Bus Russ

14.1 Forever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I just get too twisted about nothing.. I'd like your opinions...

I went to a handicapped 9 ball tournament this weekend, fairly small, only about 23 people. All matches in the tournament were played on 7 foot Diamonds, with the wooden rack, except for one guy, (A fairly decent player) who actually brought a magic rack with him to the tournament.

It came down to he and I playing for the hot seat, and right before we play, he mentions that he brought a magic rack, and I immediately say, "Absolutely not, unless I am forced to play with it. I believe the magic rack equalizes play between nonequal players.."

He asks that we allow the tournament director to decide, and of course the director rules that based on "what they do at national tournaments", that he is allowed to use the magic rack, but must allow me to use it if I wish..

I ended up having little to no interest in the match after that, and two-stroked everything, and ended up losing. I tried a bit harder in the loser's bracket, because I was actually looking forward to the double dip attempt, but ended up coming up short in the match for 2nd/3rd, losing hill-hill.

Looking back, the best thing I could have done was to try to beat the guy in the winner's bracket, and let my stick talk for me. I guess it was just really irritating, because I think the guy can't beat me without the magic rack, as he would need to really hit the rack on the break and accept a more random outcome off the break.

Should I have just outright refused to play with the magic rack, as he is the only guy who brought one, and then just accepted the forfeit necessity as a means of concientious objection?

What do you think of the tournament director's decision?

All in all, I feel that I hve exhibited a lot of self control not to post this same post on Facebook, as a ton of people on my friend's list will know who the guy is. I didn't want it to sound like sour grapes, though, and I am looking forward to getting back in stroke enough to where this sort of tactic won't even matter...

Short Bus Russ

Even a small shark in the water can make you forget how to swim!

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
you'r a f*ckin idiot to not want to use something that equalizes the match

Not if you feel you are already the better player.

Just because I have a lower rank than he doesn't mean he's better.

MUCH better players than him refuse to give me any spot while gambling.

Just sayin'.

Thanks,

Russ

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I don't get it at all. The magic rack makes sure all the balls are tight and lets you make the corner ball nearly every time. As a good player with the first break, you should love this! If the guy is pattern racking and running the set out, then I get that you are mad, but if you had your turn at the table you could have done the same to him.

How many times have you been playing a guy, getting a run going and then suddenly get the slug rack because the balls slid apart or the guy is a mechanic and managed to sneak it by you? It's a lot rarer with the magic rack, which is why I love it. Do anybody even use the big power 9 ball break anymore, even with the triangle? If that was the only difference between you, well....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the TD was referring to BCAPL Nationals, he was exactly correct. Since it's introduction, the Magic Ball Rack has been accepted equipment at BCAPL Nationals and most CSI events, and a player may not be denied use of it. The only conditions are that its use MUST be announced before the match starts and the opponent must also be allowed to use it.

Buddy

But in those tournaments the Magic Rack is provided by the tournament, and is standard equipment. That is totally different than someone bringing their own rack, not like any of the others in the place to use. As you can see, all 9 and 10 ball events the Magic Rack is mandatory. As in "provided by the tournament or room". Can't compare this to that. If you note the wording, NO OTHER TEMPLATE OR RACK IS AUTHORIZED, which is exaclty what this guy did, he brough it his own different rack. The CSI guys won't let you use a Delta 13 or one of the other template racks. So of course they will not deny use of the rack that the tournament states they want you to use.

Let's say you have a race where the track gives you Miatas. You don't like that and bring in a 600hp Viper because the Miatas are too slow for you, they probably won't let you.

1. All 8-Ball events: You may use either the rack provided with the table or a genuine Magic Ball Rack® brand template. No other triangle or template is authorized. You may not deny your opponent the use of a Magic Ball Rack. If a Magic Ball Rack is used, it must be the 8-Ball version for 8-Ball events and the 9-Ball/10-Ball version for 9-Ball and 10-Ball events. If a Magic Ball Rack is used, it is not required to be used for every game.
2. All 9-Ball and 10-Ball events: The Magic Ball Rack is mandatory. Magic Ball Racks will be provided by the Tournament Desk.

Last edited:

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
Man, you're livin' in total denial. You got your ass kicked, leave it alone already.

Not if you feel you are already the better player.

Just because I have a lower rank than he doesn't mean he's better.

MUCH better players than him refuse to give me any spot while gambling.

Just sayin'.

Thanks,

Russ

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
2. All 9-Ball and 10-Ball events: The Magic Ball Rack is mandatory. Magic Ball Racks will be provided by the Tournament Desk.

This I wouldn't particularly like, but I understand the intention is to speed up the event. (Not to make the field even...)

This was not the case though. I feel that in this particular case, it got a guy through a field he would not normally have won against.

Short Bus Russ

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you care since the magic rack makes it fair for everybody?

The magic rack doesn't really make it fair for everyone. If you normally can out break an opponent the magic rack takes that advantage away. Even a crappy 9 ball player like me can make the wing ball most of the time with a magic rack. That being said Russ should have been able to beat him if they are both the caliber I'm guessing they are and he got the first break. He let it get to him and didn't recover. Hopefully he can get past it because after this I'm guessing the guy shows up with a magic rack everytime they play.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think this thread is for or against the MR, it's rather discussion on if one player said no to using a certain rack that was not in the room or standard equipment for the tournament or tour, can someone tell the player he can't protest the use of said rack. While we all can agree that you get a good rack all the time with the MR, Short Bus for whatever reasoning decided that he would rather play this player not using it. Seems a lot of posters are saying "why not use the MR, it makes a better rack", that is not the point Short Bus was trying to make.

What if you were playing somene that can run out 5-6 racks if they make 1-2-3 balls off the break, and you could pick what rack they used, would you pick the MR because it was technically the better rack, or the rack that at least gave you a chance at the table?

OK, while I'm against the TD deciding that the guy had to allow MR use even though it was not standard equpment and both players did not agree, for myself, I like to use it. Especially when I'm playing with players that don't now how to set a good rack for you or for them.

In 9 ball you see the 9 shoot out to the corner or just end up with 4 balls moving and a big pile around the 9, or something bad.

I'd rather both of us got a good break, especially me LOL

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

I already said I intentionally two stroked everything, and looked the player right in the eye after every missed shot. It was much more about the principal of the matter to me.
A better way to drive home your point would be to beat him.
By the by... You can back him in any non-magic rack game you want. Big table... Small table..
Why exactly can't you beat him with the magic rack?
Hell... snooker table, even.... :grin: I consider myself a well-rounded player, yah know?

I'll even give him a ball in One Pocket, never having even seen him play a game. He certainly likes to practice banks on the small table. Same difference, right.
So, you are better than him in every other aspect of the game, than breaking with the magic rack? I'm not trying to insult you (really!) but I'm trying to understand how you can be a favourite in every game other than rotation pool with a magic rack? If your runout game is as good as his, then you should be able to run out as many racks as him, pocketing the corner ball with the MR. Are you some kind of rack mechanic with the triangle, or are you relying on him to come up dry on his break? Or is your control of the one ball not as good as his? I honestly don't get how fairly equal players can be sepearated that much by a tight rack, that is in fact equal for them both. How can the magic rack translate into such a large advantage, unless the guy is some sort of Corey Deuel/Donnie Mills like super soft breaking, pattern playing savant? In that case you should admit defeat.
You want to be reallll careful about insinuating that he is a better player. The owner of the pool hall where we play had mentioned trying to get us matched up in the past. Me butchering a couple of AAAs in tournaments put an end to that.

Short Bus Russ

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
FWIW, we flat-out asked Michaela this question at Mosconi. she prefers the MagicRack.

Well, if the referee prefers seeing a wing ball go in every time, well then let's lobby for it in the U.S. Open this year. :grin:

Short Bus Russ

lencho1785

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Short Bus Russ

Ok I like that I already talk to Marcus and he's down to play I'll be at mhb tomorrow night so we can talk about what game and how much you guys want to play for