Tascarella Mosconi Tribute

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Play with it. Don't let it sit in a case.

Seriously, if you don't use a cue regularly, the finish will get higher or lower over some rings, both butt and shafts, and the shafts will warp if not played with regularly. Also the shafts get a nice finish over time by being on your hands, as long as you have good habits.

Play the thing. Put it in the closet or a case, and it will warp and degrade.

All the best,
WW

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Play with it. Don't let it sit in a case.

Seriously, if you don't use a cue regularly, the finish will get higher or lower over some rings, both butt and shafts, and the shafts will warp if not played with regularly. Also the shafts get a nice finish over time by being on your hands, as long as you have good habits.

Play the thing. Put it in the closet or a case, and it will warp and degrade.

All the best,
WW

I hope you are not serious???
Jason

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I hope you are not serious???
Jason

Obviously, you must be young. I am serious. A cue needs use. If it sits in one place forever, finish and straightness goes wrong over time.

This advice, by the way, comes from Tim Scruggs, many times. And I took that advice.

All the best,
WW

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Obviously, you must be young. I am serious. A cue needs use. If it sits in one place forever, finish and straightness goes wrong over time.

This advice, by the way, comes from Tim Scruggs, many times. And I took that advice.

All the best,
WW

Yeah, 48, practically a newborn.

Thanks for the laugh, this may be one of the most incorrect things I've ever read on AZ.

Please, keep em coming:thumbup:
Jason

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Thanks for the laugh, this may be one of the most incorrect things I've ever read on AZ.

Maybe Ernie Gutierrez might convince you then, if I didn't. He says the same thing I did, that a cue should be taken out and played, not stored still. It's in a conversation with our own Jay Helfert, on a match between Shane and Max. If you don't want to listen too much, the conversation starts about 9:00 or so.

Somehow though, I don't even think advice from a master cuemaker will have any impact on your thinking.

All the best,
WW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UMQ8tKp4M

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Maybe Ernie Gutierrez might convince you then, if I didn't. He says the same thing I did, that a cue should be taken out and played, not stored still. It's in a conversation with our own Jay Helfert, on a match between Shane and Max. If you don't want to listen too much, the conversation starts about 9:00 or so.

Somehow though, I don't even think advice from a master cuemaker will have any impact on your thinking.

All the best,
WW

With your thought process every "closet find" balabushka, Szamboti, palmer, etc. Would be worthless and warped. Dennis Searing wouldnt hang his blanks for 10 + years turning them every year or 2, any cues that were advertised as unplayed would be worthless to collectors - the same people who dont play with these cues and put them in safes and cases never to be seen again till sale.

Explain your way out of this. I'm dropping the mic and walking TF off. Game, set, match!

Jason

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
With your thought process every "closet find" balabushka, Szamboti, palmer, etc. Would be worthless and warped. Dennis Searing wouldnt hang his blanks for 10 + years turning them every year or 2, any cues that were advertised as unplayed would be worthless to collectors - the same people who dont play with these cues and put them in safes and cases never to be seen again till sale.

Explain your way out of this. I'm dropping the mic and walking TF off. Game, set, match!

Jason

if those closet finds haven't been moved around and used, they will likely have issues. If a master cuemaker like Ernie can't convince you that cues are meant to be played, then nobody can. Stick to your opinion; it matters not if you're happy.

All the best,
WW

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
if those closet finds haven't been moved around and used, they will likely have issues. If a master cuemaker like Ernie can't convince you that cues are meant to be played, then nobody can. Stick to your opinion; it matters not if you're happy.

All the best,
WW

I dont know how else to say this, you are wrong and so are they.

Cues dont shrink or expand because they sit, if you and those cue makers dont know that, then you wont believe water is wet.

Cues ARE meant to be played, but sitting still doesnt cause cues to warp, shrink, expand, or have the finish degrade. You 3 have to be the most idiotic people on the planet, and since I dont believe either of those cue makers believes non play causes those things, that just leaves you as the most idiodic on the planet.
Jason

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree totally that cues are meant to be used but I'd like to see some sort of empirical evidence that getting them out and hitting balls is actually beneficial. If a cue is stored vertically in a good case in a good environment i just don't believe long-term storage will hurt them in any way. Its not like a car that WILL have problems if not exercised occasionally. BTW, if i was fortunate enough to own a Gina this would NEVER be an issue. It would not be a case-queen that's for sure.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was just joking about Framing it. My way of complimenting the beauty of it. As for using or not using it will not expire or self destruct if cared for and stored properly. My Doc Frye is from 1965... Have not used for for decades(I do not like it as a player). The current condition is excellent.

I had a leather jacket I did not wear....one day I wanted to wear it...was totally dried out and gone.
A car cannot sit...
I have shoes that the sole dry rotted and fell apart after so many years of sitting.

I'm at a stage of life where there is no reason not to use what I have. Have no reason to save anything.

I never bought anything and considered the resale value someday.

In general everything we buy is best enjoyed when used, Especially a cue..

Last edited:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look forward to more pics. What a fantastic cue!! Tasc's really live and breathe.

JohnDoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great looking cue. All of Pete's cues made in the Bushka tradition are truly beautiful. Anybody know whether this is one of his full splice or short splices cues? Is it even possible to tell the difference anymore?

Best,
Krishna

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Great looking cue. All of Pete's cues made in the Bushka tradition are truly beautiful. Anybody know whether this is one of his full splice or short splices cues? Is it even possible to tell the difference anymore?

Best,
Krishna

Short. No reason for them to full splice when they're putting ringwork between the prongs and the wrap.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

I can hear all the millions of cues locked in players closets moaning “I’m slowly warping “

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason is debating with someone who’s his peer in every respect about anything pool related.
Chronologically he is bordering on 50 but he has a lot to learn about cues and maintenance.
Folks, Will is absolutely correct. Assemble that cue and use a it or just bring it out of storage
and put it together. Let the the cues breathe and see daylight but using it is much better. You
seriously risk disappointment years later when you take the cue out storage and it’s not straight.