Triangle and Triumph Tips

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me, or has Tweeten lost their ability to make tips at all? I know this sounds harsh, but I cut 4 off the same cue today before I got one to shape that wasn't mush.
I've sent back boxes of Triumph's and they sent me two boxes back for my inconvenience. Some of the tips are very soft to the touch and I can peel the pad off the tip with my fingers. Some of my customer still want inexpensive one piece tips, and Le-pro seems to be my only tip that's giving me any satisfaction currently. I use them if the customer doesn't specify, but some still want Triangle or Triumph. What are you using for house cues and folks that want the most inexpensive tip I have?:eek:

Update on Tweeten tips,
They have been doing some checking and called to tell me they found a couple issues. One was a change in their process that they were not aware of. They asked if I would be willing to help with some feedback, and I said yes, so they are sending me some tips for testing. So happy they actually looked into this issue and got back with me. Will let y'all know when I get the tips!

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Is it just me, or has Tweeten lost their ability to make tips at all? I know this sounds harsh, but I cut 4 off the same cue today before I got one to shape that wasn't mush.
I've sent back boxes of Triump's and they sent me two boxes back for my inconvenience. Some of the tips are very soft to the touch and I can peel the pad off the tip with my fingers. Some of my customer still want inexpensive one piece tips, and Le-pro seems to be my only tip that's giving me any satisfaction currently. I use them if the customer doesn't specify, but some still want Triangle or Triumph. What are you using for house cues and folks that want the most inexpensive tip I have?:eek:

My experience is similar. Opened a box of Lepros recently and every other one turns to a cotton ball at the end when trying to shape it. Never had this problem before with Lepros. Have a box of triangles and one in 4 is like this.

I can see why opinions about tips vary so much from person to person because there is no consistency any more in any of them.

I blame China

JC

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
My experience is similar. Opened a box of Lepros recently and every other one turns to a cotton ball at the end when trying to shape it. Never had this problem before with Lepros. Have a box of triangles and one in 4 is like this.

I can see why opinions about tips vary so much from person to person because there is no consistency any more in any of them.

I blame China

JC

Ditto, triangles seem to have a slightly higher success rate than lepro IMO. Triumphs have not been in my shop for years now due to exactly what has been described above about the tip coming off the pad. I still use elkmasters, but not too much. Have found the Ultra Skin Ivory to play almost exactly like a triangle, but with complete consistency in the tips, and in playability.
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've sent back boxes of Triump's and they sent me two boxes back for my inconvenience. Some of the tips are very soft to the touch and I can peel the pad off the tip with my fingers. Some of my customer still want inexpensive one piece tips, and Le-pro seems to be my only tip that's giving me any satisfaction currently. I use them if the customer doesn't specify, but some still want Triangle or Triumph. What are you using for house cues and folks that want the most inexpensive tip I have?:eek:

Like you, I sent Skip an email. Actually, I sent him 3 emails over the past 6 months. My 3rd was unfortunately very rude. That one was answered and I talked to Skip directly on the phone. He now knows the issues and is suppose to address and hopefully rectify them. I haven't recieved any yet but I have my fingers crossed. My 3rd email sent was at a very bad time. His father passed away. My condolences to Skip and his family. He has his hands full and I understand that completely. Hopefully, he'll get to the bottom of the problems. I did try to call you to tell you directly, the number listed for you on here is not correct.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Do you press them before installing? If not you might want to try it before giving up on them. Tweeten tips have always needed pressing before installing.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Do you press them before installing? If not you might want to try it before giving up on them. Tweeten tips have always needed pressing before installing.

I am sure you know this, but Pressing a triumph will not keep it on the pad. I liked the hit of those, but had to many failures.
Dave

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talked to the folks at Tweeten. They want me to snap pics of the stock numbers on the bottom of the box. Said they were not aware of any problems with their tips. Also said they just use a contact cement on the pads with the Triumph tips. FYI...

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Tips

Talked to the folks at Tweeten. They want me to snap pics of the stock numbers on the bottom of the box. Said they were not aware of any problems with their tips. Also said they just use a contact cement on the pads with the Triumph tips. FYI...

-

They are telling you BS.. they have to know that over half the tips in the box are useless..
They obviously don’t field test or do in house testing...

Rob.M

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am sure you know this, but Pressing a triumph will not keep it on the pad. I liked the hit of those, but had to many failures.
Dave

I have pressed tips that have a pad without them coming off.

Locotone07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris, would you share your pressing technique for Tweeten tips?

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks Chris. Yes, sadly I have. I have two different presses. When I started in 99, I used to put em on the garage floor and pop em three times with a hammer lol. Just to flatten the crown down a might. I've also tried wetting the side before trimming. Using a new carbon steel blade as well. Still end up slicing them off. I've been steering folks to Elkmaster, or Le-Pro rather than risk any of the tips from my new boxes. Putting the triangles on house cues for a local room and still cutting 3 out of five back off. Good news is I'll be out of them soon. Hopefully my guy at Tweeten is genuine and will be able to help. I'll surely let y'all know what he comes up with.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have pressed tips that have a pad without them coming off.

Yes, you're right. The pressing doesn't remove the pad, but I can do it with my thumb nail very easy. The pad on these new Triumphs looks like the same old red one, but it's grey\black when you trim it. Also the leather is so weak that the good news is you can at least tell before install. I hate that I can't depend on these anymore. I sure hope they are able fix this.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave

I liked em a lot too! Dicky got me to start trying them, God bless his soul! I still have a good many customers that want a one piece inexpensive tip. They also don't want to learn how to care for a layered tip. The one piece Ki-Tech tips that Renfro makes are awesome in my opinion, but some of my customers are reluctant to spend the extra cash.

Last edited:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is my opinion only. I have great respect for Tweeten and their contribution to our game/ industry. In order to keep tip prices relatively low Tweeten must use the entire hide to make tips. The belly area leather is of a different density than the rest of the cow/ steer hide. Tips made from belly leather will have more air and sponginess to them (which is a non-factor in most other uses/ applications where the leather is more highly processed). That is why the best Triangle tips are usually "sinkers" and the ones that are bound to fluff out are "floaters." There are also "half sinkers". Hehe. This is exactly why harness and bridal leather is made from specific stronger areas of the hide which does not include the belly (like the shoulders). Soaking and pressing might overcome the problems in at least some but not all of the spongy tips.

If it was possible Tweeten should consider offering an upgraded premium Triangle and LePro tip made from prime hide like the shoulders or butt. Increase the cost accordingly. Triangle Prime anyone? Lol.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my opinion only. I have great respect for Tweeten and their contribution to our game/ industry. In order to keep tip prices relatively low Tweeten must use the entire hide to make tips. The belly area leather is of a different density than the rest of the cow/ steer hide. Tips made from belly leather will have more air and sponginess to them (which is a non-factor in most other uses/ applications where the leather is more highly processed). That is why the best Triangle tips are usually "sinkers" and the ones that are bound to fluff out are "floaters." There are also "half sinkers". Hehe. This is exactly why harness and bridal leather is made from specific stronger areas of the hide which does not include the belly (like the shoulders). Soaking and pressing might overcome the problems in at least some but not all of the spongy tips.

If it was possible Tweeten should consider offering an upgraded premium Triangle and LePro tip made from prime hide like the shoulders or butt. Increase the cost accordingly. Triangle Prime anyone? Lol.

I agree totally. My conversation with Tweetens owner included that as well as, Why is he letting the rest of the world capitalize on the market that was his.

madman1nonly

Fine Handmade Cue Tips
Silver Member

If someone have some of the floaters I will buy them for a good price, someone ask me to make B/jump Tips out of them
Thanks

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update on Tweeten crisis!

Update on Tweeten tips,
They have been doing some checking and called to tell me they found a couple issues. One was a change in their process that they were not aware of. They asked if I would be willing to help with some feedback, and I said yes, so they are sending me some tips for testing. So happy they actually looked into this issue and got back with me. Will let y'all know when I get the tips!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update on Tweeten tips,

Nice. I've been testing them for 3 weeks now. Glag they're getting more people involved.