Fraudulent Representation of Szamboti Cue

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The seller of a cue is using my name, Ray Martin, to sell what he says is a Szamboti cue on eBay. He is asking $13,000 for it and he says Gus made it for me. This is false information. Gus never made that cue for me. He is posting it as a one of a kind. I notified eBay and they said they were going to look into it. So all of you potential buyers who go to eBay, beware.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
The seller of a cue is using my name, Ray Martin, to sell what he says is a Szamboti cue on eBay. He is asking $13,000 for it and he says Gus made it for me. This is false information. Gus never made that cue for me. He is posting it as a one of a kind. I notified eBay and they said they were going to look into it. So all of you potential buyers who go to eBay, beware.

Thanks Ray. Hope you're doing well. Eric and Steve both would want to say hello.

Here is the link ( I believe ):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ON...From-mid-1970-s-Rare-collectors-/153139470652

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand you take issue with your name's use, if untrue...but I dont think it really influenced the auction's value.

If he had pics of you and it and a signed affadavit, definitely increased value, but just the allegation? Talk is cheap.

I'd report it too, in your shoes.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

If it takes a scammer to get you to post...I’m glad he did it.
.....hope you are well sir.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would pay an extra thousand for your name Ray
in fact Igreatly treasure a copy of ,the greatest book on pool ever written,"99 critical shots"

it has more value because you signed it

If you ever decide to sell your personal cues,contact me, I am old enough to remember when
You were the gereatest straight pool player I had ever seen.

Best wishes to you with your private lessons,I wish I could get to your part of the country
I would love to take lessons from you,several people tell me how much they improved since taking lessons

They tell me you made it simple,practical and therefore easy to learn.I have always had trouble reading complicated instructional books ,that is why I like your book so much

If you like playing some high dollar one pocket please don't call me,I don't need those kind of lessons

dean campbell

My invitation to you to stay with us if you get to Dallas is still open

I am trying to get a table so I could enttain you

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well thanks for your input, did not anyone spending a lot of money thinking they were getting a one of a kind cue that was made for me.
Ray

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'd think for that money he'd at least post a pic of the forearm.

So we have ghostball and ghost ball in the same thread? Confusing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I remember when you won your first World title, you were something like 33 or 34 years old and I thought, WOW, you play good for an old guy! I think it was one of Fred Whalen's big events out in L.A. I was maybe 23 or 24 and thought pool players were over the hill after age 30 :). Meanwhile fast forward twenty years and you were still winning 9-Ball tournaments playing against kids like Earl, Sigel, Varner, Rempe and Hopkins. Not bad for a "Straight Pool" player!

Love ya kid! :love2:

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the early 60's in N.J. I was about 16 or so.
If I would carry the pool cue cases Ernie Lager,Butch Wright and Youngblood would take me with them to North Jersey.
I remember Ray and Ernie playing straight pool.
I dont know if they played even or not.
I do know Ernie rarely won.
It's all a bit foggy now.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I remember when you won your first World title, you were something like 33 or 34 years old and I thought, WOW, you play good for an old guy! I think it was one of Fred Whalen's big events out in L.A. I was maybe 23 or 24 and thought pool players were over the hill after age 30 :). Meanwhile fast forward twenty years and you were still winning 9-Ball tournaments playing against kids like Earl, Sigel, Varner, Rempe and Hopkins. Not bad a for a "Straight Pool" player!

Love ya kid! :love2:

At Grady's All-Around in Tampa in 1983, Ray came out of the left side to play David Howard in the finals. It was a true double-elimination so Ray had to win 2 races to 11 to David's 1. Ray would've been in his late 40s by 83 and David was probably 30 or so. Before the match, David said to Harley Bryant ( a very tough under-the-radar player and great gambler from Jacksonville ), "I'm playing some old man." in the finals. From what I've heard, Harley knew exactly who Ray was. David did not. I can only imagine what Harley was thinking when David said that to him.

At the time, David Howard was one of the absolutely most-feared, strongest 9ball players on earth. Many felt he had the best break of anyone at the time. Ray was pretty much unknown in the south. Those who did know of him viewed him as a former straight pool world champion. Of course, those who knew Ray ( or at least a lot about him ), knew he played ALL GAMES and played them pretty much lights out. Now, yeah, Ray was in his late 40s. David was in his prime and was capable was steamrolling ANYONE at any given time. So the smart money was on David, big time.

Bottom line? Ray Martin 11-2 first set, Ray Martin 11-2 second set. Game. Set. Match. Championship. As they say in tennis. David Howard never knew what hit him. And somewhere out in the crowd, and even though I'm sure he lost some money betting on David, Harely had to have at least a small smile on his face.

"I'm playing some old man..."

Yeah... how'd that work out for ya, David? :grin:

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the early 60's in N.J. I was about 16 or so.
If I would carry the pool cue cases Ernie Lager,Butch Wright and Youngblood would take me with them to North Jersey.
I remember Ray and Ernie playing straight pool.
I dont know if they played even or not.
I do know Ernie rarely won.
It's all a bit foggy now.

Black Youngblood?

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At Grady's All-Around in Tampa in 1983, Ray came out of the left side to play David Howard in the finals. It was a true double-elimination so Ray had to win 2 races to 11 to David's 1. Ray would've been in his late 40s by 83 and David was probably 30 or so. Before the match, David said to Harley Bryant ( a very tough under-the-radar player and great gambler from Jacksonville ), "I'm playing some old man." in the finals. From what I've heard, Harley knew exactly who Ray was. David did not. I can only imagine what Harley was thinking when David said that to him.

At the time, David Howard was one of the absolutely most-feared, strongest 9ball players on earth. Many felt he had the best break of anyone at the time. Ray was pretty much unknown in the south. Those who did know of him viewed him as a former straight pool world champion. Of course, those who knew Ray ( or at least a lot about him ), knew he played ALL GAMES and played them pretty much lights out. Now, yeah, Ray was in his late 40s. David was in his prime and was capable was steamrolling ANYONE at any given time. So the smart money was on David, big time.

Bottom line? Ray Martin 11-2 first set, Ray Martin 11-2 second set. Game. Set. Match. Championship. As they say in tennis. David Howard never knew what hit him. And somewhere out in the crowd, and even though I'm sure he lost some money betting on David, Harely had to have at least a small smile on his face.

"I'm playing some old man..."

Yeah... how'd that work out for ya, David? :grin:

Now that was a great "Location" story...because I'm sure you had to be there to appreciate what happened that day. Thanks for telling it

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Now that was a great "Location" story...because I'm sure you had to be there to appreciate what happened that day. Thanks for telling it

You're most welcome and thanks, Tony. Ray was amazing. That tourney was the first time I'd seen him play. He also ( if I recall correctly ) finished top three in the 14.1. I'm not sure if he played in the 1 hole or not. There certainly is a reason they call him "Cool Cat".

And, yeah, actually I had the best seat in the house for the 9ball finals. I was the referee. :D

Last edited:

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to thank all you guy's for all the memories. I do believe I finished 2nd in the 14.1
to Jim Rempe maybe 6th one pocket.
Ray