CTE in NFL

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mods: delete, please...

Deleted My Thread...it was a stupid and insensitive one.

Owning up to my error in judgement.

Last edited:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha! Maybe I should put this in the Funny Pic thread:

Well, I got a quick chuckle because it is CTE comparable...
Some of these other guys must have got their sense of humor from a train wreck. Waaaaay too serious...

We all know it's a serious situation in the NFL but geez....lighten up guys.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Center to edge aiming systems. I don’t feel like clicking links but I’m guessing CTE is also some kind of brain injury situation.

Oh gosh, thanks for that! Yep, it's the concussion damage syndrome in sports - even scarier than reading a Hal Houle aiming post.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, traumatic brain injury is serious. And not funny at all.

But I think you guys are taking my post too seriously. It was really just the term CTE that made me chuckle, NOT the part about concussion. Apologies to people who think I was making light of it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I moved a lot as a kid. In around 1961 I was living in a small town in Texas where football was a big deal. I was in the 5th/6th grade and they had tackle football. Helmets had no facemask. I remember a couple kids knocked out cold on the ground. Uniforms were white with red sleeves. Red was from wiping bloody nose on the sleeve.

We were just kids and didn't know any better. Today they would probably arrest the coach.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh gosh, thanks for that! Yep, it's the concussion damage syndrome in sports - even scarier than reading a Hal Houle aiming post.

that was awful.
If I was a newbie reading that I would take up bowling.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I moved a lot as a kid. In around 1961 I was living in a small town in Texas where football was a big deal. I was in the 5th/6th grade and they had tackle football. Helmets had no facemask. I remember a couple kids knocked out cold on the ground. Uniforms were white with red sleeves. Red was from wiping bloody nose on the sleeve.

We were just kids and didn't know any better. Today they would probably arrest the coach.

Yeah but it made tough kids.
They probably grew up with out wearing make up and knowing which bath room to use.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
CTE. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. NOT funny stuff, especially when a lifelong friend comes down with it. I should say, suspected to have come down with it. There is no cure, and the only way to really diagnose is if the patient is dead.

Do some net research...very sobering.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

But I think you guys are taking my post too seriously. It was really just the term CTE that made me chuckle, NOT the part about concussion. Apologies to people who think I was making light of it.

Your post was not ambiguous. It referred clearly and specifically to CTE as it relates to the NFL, and that's both a sad and serious situation.

Your inclusion of the picture of Luke Kuechly, who had to retire this week because of concerns relating to CTE, was in unusually poor taste, and could hardly be interpreted as anything but either trivializing or misunderstanding this sad condition that ended the career of a premier football player in his prime at the age of 28. Perhaps you should read up on it.

Let's hope CTE doesn't happen to anyone in our sport, anyone on our forum, or anyone in our lives. CTE, in the context you used it, should not bring a chuckle to anyone --- ever!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Your post was not ambiguous. It referred clearly and specifically to CTE as it relates to the NFL, and that's both a sad and serious situation.

Your inclusion of the picture of Luke Kuechly, who had to retire this week because of concerns relating to CTE, was in unusually poor taste, and could hardly be interpreted as anything but either trivializing or misunderstanding this sad condition that ended the career of a premier football player in his prime at the age of 28. Perhaps you should read up on it.

Let's hope CTE doesn't happen to anyone in our sport, anyone on our forum, or anyone in our lives. CTE, in the context you used it, should not bring a chuckle to anyone --- ever!

Yes, let's hope not. My friend lives on the east coast, I on the west. Buddies since childhood. One of those guys you didn't see for years, and the conversation would pick up where it left off. He had a good life...was a fighter pilot for Uncle, then "drove bus" for American air until the mandatory retirement age of 60. Football in high school and college, but his problem is thought to have been brought on by a motorcycle accident when he was with the airline...T boned by a drunk running a red.
Weeks in the hospital, almost didn't make it. Based in Dallas then, he was lucky...was taken to the same hospital that JFK was taken to. A top flight trauma center there.

We still have frequent phone conversations...of a sort. Pains me to hear him struggle for words. But I still call, will continue to do so as long as possible. He's my "like a brother" buddy..

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Not mad at you. You didn't know. Not really. It's just that there is nothing funny about the CTE condition...

So...Now you know.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stu and everyone else-

I am very sorry. I seriously did not mean anything by it.

I made a mistake and feel terrible.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu and everyone else-

I am very sorry. I seriously did not mean anything by it.

I made a mistake and feel terrible.

Your apology is accepted in full, but you can turn it all into a positive by learning, and motivating others to learn, more about this awful ailment.

Pwd72S, very sad to learn of your friend's woes and wish him the best going forward.

Last edited: