1973 US Open Championships- PICTURE- help ID???

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need help with this picture. It's from 1973 Billiard Congress of America's
8th Annual US Open Championships. It was held 8/7/73 in the Grand Ballroom on the Chicago Sheraton.
Can anyone ID the players???
Thanks for the help!
1973OnePocketChamp.jpg

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

table3.jpg

table4.jpg

table5.jpg

table6.jpg

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The guy shooting left handed looks like Dallas West. Dallas was a right hander but check out the bridge - whoever he is, it looks like he is shooting opposite hand.

Jay probably knows all of them.

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy in the front table is Mizerak. Young guy there. He won the tourney beating Wimpy in the finals, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: maybe not Miz. Terrible bridge hand.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
The guy shooting left handed looks like Dallas West. Dallas was a right hander but check out the bridge - whoever he is, it looks like he is shooting opposite hand.

Jay probably knows all of them.

If it's not DALLAS it's his twin:)

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
White shoes looks like Willie Munson, guy down shooting is probably Dallas West, blonde haired guy looks like Bruce Christiansen I also think bald guy is Shorty,

poolhalljnkie

House cue conversionist
Silver Member
I was 10 days from turning 2 years old & 32 years before I even started playing pool, but over the past 6 years have really developed a love for the game and it's history, so I would like to thank you for posting the pictures....AWESOME :thumbup:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need help with this picture. It's from 1973 Billiard Congress of America's
8th Annual US Open Championships. It was held 8/7/73 in the Grand Ballroom on the Chicago Sheraton.
Can anyone ID the players???
Thanks for the help!
1973OnePocketChamp.jpg

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

table3.jpg

table4.jpg

table5.jpg

table6.jpg

I dont know whos who,but this is an awesom picture,show more if u have them please,thank you CAT!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Dallas West, Joe Balsis, Earl Herring (or Wille Munson)

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the guy sitting with cue playing Shorty might be a guy named Clarence Fry far back left looks like Cue Ball Kelly bent over the table. Player sitting back there is probably Rempe but also looks like Mataya and a couple of people to his left {our right } I see Larry Lisciotti in the shadows.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TKS for the update. Looks like Willie got on a serious bulking program.

yep that is WIllie and he was not always as heavy as now.
Don't let the bridge of Dallas West fool ya either. he was rumored to have run 100 balls with the wrong hand back in Rockford!

Each time I see or hear of Willie I think back on the old World Series of Tavern Pool. He was playing Richie Florence and made the wildest damned jump shot on his last ball only to have the cues ball reverse, hit the 8 ball solidly and scratch in the side. It was heartbreaking!

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the guy sitting with cue playing Shorty might be a guy named Clarence Fry far back left looks like Cue Ball Kelly bent over the table. Player sitting back there is probably Rempe but also looks like Mataya and a couple of people to his left {our right } I see Larry Lisciotti in the shadows.

Too cool, thanks.