Pool Cue Extension

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Im sure Fred is talking about me, I use the balance rite and I have been using it for about 4 months and I like it. I am about 6'6 so I could use the extra length for arm swing. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust to the weight, but I leave it on 100% of the time

I wasn't talking about you James, but I'm glad someone chimed in. I tried the Schuler extension once and if there was a difference, it was so minute that it wouldn't take much time at to get used to. And I'm 5'7" and don't hold the cue near the end.

Freddie <~~~ looking to buy a Schuler extension still

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy, did you order the extension with different threads or did you modify them yourself? Definitely something I'm gonna try.

I did them my-self (I do have some skills and love to try new things as well without breaking the bank or trying to reinvent the wheel) but you can get a Cue maker (mechanic) to switch out the female Inserts for you... just make sure them have the inserts in stock. The inserts from Altas is very reasonable cost wise if you'd like to provide them to the maker. Then all he would need is his epoxy and a puller 'mechanism' (ie on an extra joint pin, jam lock a 'nut set' on to the female insert face at the back of the extension piece - heat tape to block the wood- an fire up the torch to the back end of the extruded 'locked on' joint pin...then unscrew 'pin group'-with locked on insert with vice ). Then re-tap the wood with 5/16 20 tap for the new insert 'lock in' threads from Atlas. (See their pdf for instructions... pretty simple). Epoxy, Clean up, wait 24-48 hrs to load.

Then you can then enjoy your new high dollar shafts with your custom cross platform Balance Rite extensions. A little time, a little investment goes along way with this tool. I now prefer shooting with a longer cue (like a lot of Pro's do) and this is a unique way to jump in and give it and honest look with breaking the bank.

Randy

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sure Fred is talking about me, I use the balance rite and I have been using it for about 4 months and I like it. I am about 6'6 so I could use the extra length for arm swing. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust to the weight, but I leave it on 100% of the time

Same here James... about 2-4 racks and it just 'Fits'. I'm only 5'7" but I also have a pretty long bridge like many taller players that enjoy using 'longer aim line' references (Cue or otherwise). Oh and the shots I can now reach at full table length is a least greater by 20-30% with going for the bridge. My new Predator Throne Cue (that I won here on AZ this month-soon to be released in Jan 2014) allows for quick butt weight adjustments with their P3 cartridge system. This was great for testing a range of cue weights while using this extension.

I find that the Balance Rite 2oz of weight added to the front of the joint just feels better and a gives more spontaneous feedback as to the hit because its kinda like 'pushing the weight of the Cue' to the CB in stead of 'pulling the weight' from the butt end . I have removed an once from the butt weight of my cues to equal out the total weight and it REALLY hits straighter especially noticeable with the new LD shafts (I'm using the Z2's and the New Mezz WX900 with the Ki-tech mediums...average 19-21.5 oz on multiple cues 6-8, with the extention on and they all play awesome... even my "less expensive" cues. The hit, cue sounds, etc remain the same between the cues using the same Shaft/tip configuration.

This is a great little tool imo that JUMPS many GAPS cue manufacture leave on the table in order to "fit in" their cues to some "normal range" for the masses.... This would also include things like Case design norms 'from the past', mass cue productions 'standard length' considerations etc. Times/technology has changed, Tastes and Shoot Styles have Changed, Aiming Techniques have changed just like shafts, tips, and the way cues are assembled. This concept is a good way to inexpensively test the waters for yourself.

Its fast and easy to adapt to ... I use it now 100% of the time.. its not just for tournament pros either.:thumbup:

Randy

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me there is something about forfeiting a match if you break your cue down ??? O.K. to remove a extention at the but , but removing your shaft , means you quit ??

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony Ryan Extender.....12" Oak.....get the optional carrying case......strap it to your cue case like a rifle scabbard.......IMO, the very best pool cue extender made..

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me there is something about forfeiting a match if you break your cue down ??? O.K. to remove a extention at the but , but removing your shaft , means you quit ??

Correct, these extensions are new to the market so the rules haven't been modified yet or may never be. You are allowed to break down a cue to change shafts, but that is it.

I just found one of these for $25 on ebay. I bought one from AzB a while back for $35 shipped and regrettably sold it.

pool-extension-12.jpg

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Tony Ryan Extender.....12" Oak.....get the optional carrying case......strap it to your cue case like a rifle scabbard.......IMO, the very best pool cue extender made..

Agree with this. I got one for Christmas and I love it. I have a 4x8 butterfly case and the extender fits easily down inside one of the slots for cue butts.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct, these extensions are new to the market so the rules haven't been modified yet or may never be. You are allowed to break down a cue to change shafts, but that is it.

I just found one of these for $25 on ebay. I bought one from AzB a while back for $35 shipped and regrettably sold it.

pool-extension-12.jpg

I've had one of these for some time now (black on black). Used it maybe 4 times (at home)- never in a match... also no real good place to store it in /onto my cases. One real big problem I have with mine is the 'jaws' don't open wide enough for a couple of my custom cues. I'm definitely NOT going to 'force it on' scratching the finish on my cues. So mine will probably find it way to ebay as well pretty soon.

Randy

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the cheap plastic vacuum cleaner like extension. It's light. I haven't tried the Balance Rite but I have used Longonie. Didn't like the feel, weight.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had one of these for some time now (black on black). Used it maybe 4 times (at home)- never in a match... also no real good place to store it in /onto my cases. One real big problem I have with mine is the 'jaws' don't open wide enough for a couple of my custom cues. I'm definitely NOT going to 'force it on' scratching the finish on my cues. So mine will probably find it way to ebay as well pretty soon.

Randy

I've used mine for one pocket for 3 straight hours. An almost 70" cue weighing around 27oz was awesome! lol

My arm was about dead afterwards though.