How to repair?

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mechanics, How would you repair the damage on this gc1 rail? The best way I can describe the damage is someone taking a hammer and nail set and making a punch mark. Thank you in advance for the replies. Charles

Attachments

• 0BADCAAC-5D24-4B46-9377-DF6F0622F703.jpeg
    0BADCAAC-5D24-4B46-9377-DF6F0622F703.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 304
  • 5238D70B-01AB-4992-A09F-AE8442C9A348.jpeg
    5238D70B-01AB-4992-A09F-AE8442C9A348.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 283
  • 46A5E7FA-B935-45FD-A475-695613A75F61.jpeg
    46A5E7FA-B935-45FD-A475-695613A75F61.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 298

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
Tough one....

I'm not sure you can repair that formica damage as is . I have heard of people polishing out scratches , but those dents look deep , and the formica looks cracked around the dents. You can have the Formica changed , I'm thinking by a cabinet maker. He might know . But there are some real good table mechanics on here . Leave it here , be patient. I'm restoring a GC1 and I had a few dents , but not anything as bad as those. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure you can repair that formica damage as is . I have heard of people polishing out scratches , but those dents look deep , and the formica looks cracked around the dents. You can have the Formica changed , I'm thinking by a cabinet maker. He might know . But there are some real good table mechanics on here . Leave it here , be patient. I'm restoring a GC1 and I had a few dents , but not anything as bad as those. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the reply. It is just one mark with pictures from different angles. I was thinking the same thing about having the Formica changed.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing will make it disappear.

That said, any repairs ought not be distracting to sighting/sightlines; but the following are possibilities. :smile:

Somebody really good could tempate-rout out to beyond the bend edges, and insert a similar pattern inlay from scrap formica. But it will never be perfect & is quite tricky.

More practical/more easily accomplished: template rout or drill in a different color, like it was a "knot". Light colors might be distracting.

Template rout out a lozenge and install an ivorine inlay or bronze medallion engraved: "Custom design for Chart 22, Sept 27, 2019" :thumbup:

smt

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
The best way I can describe the damage is someone taking a hammer and nail set and making a punch mark.

I stand corrected
NOT a “Ball Drop”.
One of deepest holes I have seen.

You could fill it in with colored epoxy.
But it will always show.
Live with it.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
That’s a “Ball Drop”.
One of deepest I have seen.

You could fill it in with colored epoxy.
But it will always show.
Live with it.

No, it is not a ball drop at all. Not sure how you think a ball could do that. It is actually from the screw on the bottom of the bumper of a house cue.... Some jerk got mad and damaged it permanently.

Trent from Toledo

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The replacement Formica sounds like the way to go. I think Jerimy Chambers has a near perfect match for that old GC Formica, so it might just be a good time to replace all the Formica rail caps, and while the table is down for repairs you could have those rails recalibrated if need be. Just a thought, I hate down time so I’m always thinking about getting the most out of a situation like this.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clear two-part epoxy fill, then buff out smooth? Just a thought. It would still be visible but less likely to grow, or impede your bridge hand?