straight rail

Gongmyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Caudron used to have a website where you could ask him questions. I asked about the cloth for the small games in tournaments. He replied that it was Simonis 300.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Hi there yes the Europeans use the fast cloth
It calls for the upmost of finesse when playing this or any small game because the ball can get away very easily

Just as a poster here has said who lives in France they use the fast cloth, not slow nappy stuff like most believe it needs here in the us

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I know they put the corner lines in to stop people from crotching the balls and scoring endlessly

But I wonder how many people today could really crotch there was to 400 or more consecutively

Really, to have the stroke to keep them there then the mental and physical fortitude to repeat it so many times

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
straight rail training

pg, 377 of xaviers pdf, im having trouble getting the position for the 3rd shot

the hit and speed to get the balls there is quite difficult from the second shot/position

Attachments

• fffffff.jpg
    fffffff.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
pg, 377 of xaviers pdf, im having trouble getting the position for the 3rd shot

the hit and speed to get the balls there is quite difficult from the second shot/position
There is very little wiggle room in the shot. You have to play the hit on the red to move spot to the right place and if that is not the right fullness to bring red off the rail only as far as indicated, it is difficult to adjust. Can you take ball in hand and find the place you need to be? If you can play half-masses, there is a lot more wiggle room.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
There is very little wiggle room in the shot. You have to play the hit on the red to move spot to the right place and if that is not the right fullness to bring red off the rail only as far as indicated, it is difficult to adjust. Can you take ball in hand and find the place you need to be? If you can play half-masses, there is a lot more wiggle room.

I've played it many times today

I had no success with the position in the second image

When I did have success was when I brought the cue ball down more level to the red, little to no angle and some reverse English,
Even then it's tough,

Need a super fine little hit one the red to just bounce it off the rail, to have a full enough hit on the white
And the few times that I did it successful,
I didn't have the perfect position to continue, always too far ahead of the white with my qball

ITS HARD!!!

Also I don't have a decent cue atm
It's like a 40 inch player's cue with about a 12.5mm pool type taper and a funky screwed up Elk master tip

So can't do much any fancy cueing right now

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
this thread has over 11,000 views

think of how much we could learn, if people actually posted

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i been trying to do all these and im stuck on the 3rd one

i figured if i can make it 5 times in a row ill move on

the third one i cant replicate at all
I think the shot is not hard to adjust. Bank ball 2 (first object ball) to ball 3 and adjust draw/follow to send the cue ball to the pair. If the balls are placed wrong, the shot can be a lot harder.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Could be my positioning, last night I made it 3 times straight multiple times but never 5

Seems the speed of the hit is critical in this, also correct position as you brought up
That ball set I was playing with also was about at the limit of dirtiness I like to play with , so that also played a factor as well I'm thinking

Clean balls are essential to any Carom game, seems 3-4max hrs of play is when they're dirty to where effect doesn't much take on them

Last edited: