Bender, Howard or Blue Grass?

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently playing with a Josey and want to change it up. Before I started playing again I used a South West. I’ve hit a couple DPK/Omegas which I like. Hit a modern Bender it’s stiffer than the DPKs I’ve hit but nice. Had a couple of Blue Grass cues they’ve come and gone. Never even seen a Howard in person. What direction would you go in?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a R. Howard that I've used for about 8 years now. I sold my Andy Gilbert, Josey, Schon, a few McD D series, and a few Meucci Originals since, knowing I'm keeping the Rick Howard. It's 1 of 3 cues I'm keeping after going thru about 25 cues in the last 10 or 12 years.
It plays less stiff than the Gilbert, Schon, and Josey, but a little firmer than McD's and my non-steel jointed Pechauer.
Someone on here had a R. Howard sneaky not long ago and I'm kicking myself in the ass for not getting it.
If you can find one get it, but it won't be mine.
(I have no experience with a Bender or Bluegrass)

Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Currently playing with a Josey and want to change it up. Before I started playing again I used a South West. I’ve hit a couple DPK/Omegas which I like. Hit a modern Bender it’s stiffer than the DPKs I’ve hit but nice. Had a couple of Blue Grass cues they’ve come and gone. Never even seen a Howard in person. What direction would you go in?

" You picked 3 of THE VERY BEST ….
" All top quality builds....
Everything these guys do are SUPERB PLAYING CUES....
I have had all 3-
Can't really pick for you
Depends on how much you want to spend :smile:

ffr3247r

Registered
Currently playing with a R Howard Sneaky with southwest style rings.

I have been using a Frey and although the Frey plays great I’m finding myself always picking up the Howard.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Well I have a Joey Bautista, Josey, and a Bluegrass in the case. I play with the bluegrass 90% of the time. I like all three of those cues, but the bluegrass is my current favorite. That is subject to change at any time because all 3 are really close in the good hitting cue category.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
You really can't go wrong. Having said that, I have to put Bender at the top of that list. I love his work and the playability of his cues, especially the new ones.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
i've got a couple of BLUEGRASS cues that play more like SW cues than some SW cues

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is wrong with the Cue you play with NOW?

That’s a good question and it does concern me.
Here’s some back story. First this is my second go around playing pool after a near decade of not playing. When I was playing before I got to the point that the A players were taking notice and I was improving. My player at the time was a South West. I then suffered an injury to my grip hand. My game went in the toilet. I sold the South West tried another cue I never meshed with and walked away from the game. More do to lifestyle changes than actually giving up.
Now that I’m playing again and have the disease bad, I’m playing what I believe is near the same level I was at before(if not better) and improving. I’ve been using a Josey Sneaky and while I like it I feel it requires too much effort to move the cue ball. If that makes any sense. This is why I’d like to try something else. Something a little stiffer and what I feel may move the ball better. My concern is that I’m playing well with the Josey but I feel it’s in my best interest to try something else.
A Bender is what I’m really leaning towards.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
That’s a good question and it does concern me.
Here’s some back story. First this is my second go around playing pool after a near decade of not playing. When I was playing before I got to the point that the A players were taking notice and I was improving. My player at the time was a South West. I then suffered an injury to my grip hand. My game went in the toilet. I sold the South West tried another cue I never meshed with and walked away from the game. More do to lifestyle changes than actually giving up.
Now that I’m playing again and have the disease bad, I’m playing what I believe is near the same level I was at before(if not better) and improving. I’ve been using a Josey Sneaky and while I like it I feel it requires too much effort to move the cue ball. If that makes any sense. This is why I’d like to try something else. Something a little stiffer and what I feel may move the ball better. My concern is that I’m playing well with the Josey but I feel it’s in my best interest to try something else.
A Bender is what I’m really leaning towards.

Well if you think a Bender is the Holy Grail of Cue, go for your personal Holy Grail. IMHO Tiger Wood could really shoot a good score on 18 holes of Golf with a Set of CRAP CLUBS & DRIVER from Big 5 Sporting Goods. Because it is Tiger skills, not his clubs that win tournments.

Tiger is a work-a-holic on his Golf Game, he is 110% committed to be great.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you think a Bender is the Holy Grail of Cue, go for your personal Holy Grail. IMHO Tiger Wood could really shoot a good score on 18 holes of Golf with a Set of CRAP CLUBS & DRIVER from Big 5 Sporting Goods. Because it is Tiger skills, not his clubs that win tournments.

Tiger is a work-a-holic on his Golf Game, he is 110% committed to be great.

You are correct about Tiger Woods and doing well with any set of clubs but I'm sure he prefers a certain set. Also there's a lot to it's the Indian not the arrow.
Right now I'm thinking about switching cues to something I think I'd like better. Although I do admit I have a certain reluctance. What I'm using right now is working. Maybe I should hold off for a bit. This thread is about bouncing off ideas and different perspectives to think about. My end goal is to be a very good player and I'm headed there.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Change is not alway GREAT, it is just the same problem sometimes with a NEW TOOL. BTW if you have not figured it out BOCKO, it 's the Indian, not the ARROW.:grin:

All I have figured out over the years is you like to make asinine posts, I assume because no one listens to you anywhere else..

DEACON

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bluegrass

Bluegrass, great hit, consistent, great workmanship, In my opinion, hits superior to Bender, more feel. Love the Micarta ferrules