Break cloth patch

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When i started playing back in 1980 I always broke off the head spot sticker. Now I use a break cloth. Thus thread makes me feel like buying some sopts and going back to my old routine. Anyone have any downsides to breaking from the soot for practicing at home?
Paul
You could just lay it anywhere on the cloth (without gluing it down), right?

pj
chgo

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break pad? Like there's an actual product that is too thick? I don't even use my outsville ones, just a 2" square piece of Simonis.

Speaking of the Outsville “Shark Skin Table Saver,” does anyone use these or have feedback on them? Not terribly expensive I know, but if it’s a definite buy/don’t buy I’d like to gather opinions before proceeding.

Any takers?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Speaking of the Outsville “Shark Skin Table Saver,” does anyone use these or have feedback on them? Not terribly expensive I know, but if it’s a definite buy/don’t buy I’d like to gather opinions before proceeding.

Any takers?

One came with my templates. It works fine. I never noticed any issues using an extra piece of simonis as a break pad either so maybe my style of break it just doesn’t matter but the outsville thing is real thin and shouldn’t cause any noticeable difference from raw table.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can alleviate the problem by playing straight pool the ultimate test
of your skill. Try it you will like it

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use a piece of the table cloth the mechanic will have left over. Just the rails
alone will leave you with more break cloth material than you will ever need

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One came with my templates. It works fine. I never noticed any issues using an extra piece of simonis as a break pad either so maybe my style of break it just doesn’t matter but the outsville thing is real thin and shouldn’t cause any noticeable difference from raw table.

Thank you sir.

If I’da knowd, I’da got them table boys to cut me off a square. Oh well. What’s a guy to do? Seriously, thanks for the input. My pool-playing son insists on jump shots. He’ll take any jump he can, so I figure it can’t hurt to pony up for those Outsville pads if it preserves the cloth even a little bit.

Plus thanks for the tip from the poster(s?) who recommended switching break ends.

/cheers

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've have used a break cloth on my home table for 25 years. It really extends the life of the cloth and does not detract from breaking at all.

I originally used a small piece of newspaper but now only use a patch of Simonis.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never used one, although my table mechanic leaves me a couple every time I recover. Don’t see the need and recovering every 2-3 years is an acceptable investment to play pool normally.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I have a bar box in the house, all i could fit. I like 14.1 but it's downright criminal to play it on a 7 footer.

Play 9.1 on a bar table. It’s super fun. You also still get the same “late rack” practice as in regular 14.1. Although the types of break shots you use are a lil different. I almost always go behind the pack with the 9.1 style.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Pretty simple, if you own a table do you have separate small patch of cloth you put the CB on when you break?

Finally about to get the table recovered and it crossed my mind. It's gonna get marks anyway. But I do break from the same spot most of the time.

I do for a while but it doesn't stop the tracks down the table. In fact I think it may make them worse. Eventually, I stop using one.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty simple, if you own a table do you have separate small patch of cloth you put the CB on when you break?

Finally about to get the table recovered and it crossed my mind. It's gonna get marks anyway. But I do break from the same spot most of the time.

I use a piece of Simonis 860.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I never have used one on any of my tables, however if there’s one on a table I always use it out of respect for who wants it.

Best
Fatboy

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Break cloths are too thick. They compress, and cause the cue ball to hop. This will create more burn marks on the cue ball's path to the rack.

Use a dollar bill instead. Paper money is made of cloth, so it's durable. It is thinner than table cloth, so it compresses less. When jumping, this will give better feedback, as using table cloth will make jumping much easier, giving you a false sense of accomplishment.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
As others here have mentioned I think break pads are useless. When I first replaced my cloth I used a small piece of paper, it works great. The problem is that it only protects the spot where the cue ball sits, it does nothing for the lines and hop marks you inevitably get as the cue ball travels towards the rack. Since I usually play 8 ball it took awhile to develop the common 9 ball lines from the rail to the rack but I still have them as well as as many, many lines/marks traveling from between the 3 middle diamonds to the center of the rack. I also have 2 very worn marks around the outside 2 head rail diamonds which I think is from the corner balls and lines going down the rail grooves to every pocket. Im about to recover my table again, this time I am going with Tournament Blue instead of green which I think will help cut down on cloth wear. At any point it is much cheaper for us to recover our tables every so often rather than feeding quarters into a table or paying by the hour.

PS those worried about a break cloth might want to consider a racking cloth too because you will also create a lot of wear where you fill the rack before sliding it up to the dot.

Shorty34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put the cue ball on a playing card...problem solved...quick, simple, easy and effective solution...

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break cloths are too thick. They compress, and cause the cue ball to hop. This will create more burn marks on the cue ball's path to the rack.

Use a dollar bill instead. Paper money is made of cloth, so it's durable. It is thinner than table cloth, so it compresses less. When jumping, this will give better feedback, as using table cloth will make jumping much easier, giving you a false sense of accomplishment.

Yes ! And for high rollers , use a hundred dollar bill !

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any takers?

I have some. If I’m required to use a pad, this is a vastly better option than the giant mattress a spare cut of cloth provides. If you’re into the the break, I can’t imagine using anything under your cueball.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've have used a break cloth on my home table for 25 years. It really extends the life of the cloth and does not detract from breaking at all.

I originally used a small piece of newspaper but now only use a patch of Simonis.

With respect, you either don’t break very hard, or don’t really know too much about the break. You’re way better off using the newspaper.

Really anyone that prioritizes the look of the table (which takes years to accumulate enough break marks to be an issue) over the proper play just indicates that they are a different type of “player”. No offense but it most assuredly affects the break. You just don’t notice.

KMRUNOUT