Comments wanted about Mr.Richard Black's Joints

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello I would like to hear some different opinion's about Mr.Richard Blacks Cues. (playability) I'm Having a custom Made- should it be Ivory-Flat Faced,or piloted Ivory? Or should I ask for Radial pin, Flat faced with Ivory? Wasn't Richard Famous for His Stainless Steel joints. Or should I get a cue from His massive collection- (then customized) Any one have any blue Lapus in a richard black. Thanks in advance for any and ALL opinions. mark

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hit or playability

You need to hit some with each joint configuration to find out what you prefer in a cues hit. Ivory joint hits nothing like a s/s joint. If you go ivory go flat faced. His s/s cues are piloted. Tell him how you prefer a cue to hit and he can assist you somewhat with your selection. His cues in s/s have a very unique hit unlike any other s/s I have shot with. Firm hit with exc. feedback but unique. Probably his specialized tips. Good luck

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Hotrod makes a good point that you should have a personal preference based upon comparison.

My experience with Richard Black's work, ironically, just puts faith in Black himself. I have a piloted 5/16X14 ivory joint cue that is fantastic hitting. I recently traded a phenolic FF joint cue with radial pin that hit almost the same...for me, I would let Mr. Black engineer the hit he recommends. I never played with a Richard Black cue that did not play very well. (That totals only about 6 cues though).

Opinions vary, but I believe Richard Black to be a master. I personally would have no fears at all in giving him total freedom to craft the best hit according to his assessment.

tlos123

Registered
I had a flat faced Richard Black Hoppe about ten years ago and never played with another cue that felt the same way. It had great feel and response. Really miss that one.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Well you asked so here goes. I have three RB's all S/S joints one from 1980 81, and 82. The 80 is 59" and plays great, the other two play like S&*%. Also the inlays look like a child did them-the worst work I have seen period. Obviously this was a long time ago but have seen some from probably ten years ago that weren't earth shattering either. I hope you don't have any of these issues, good luck.
[edit] It COULD have been the tips on the other two but I think I switched shafts from cue to cue and the 80 still played good.

Last edited: