Silver Cue Billiards in Woburn MA RIP

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys,

We lost another good room. To bad, I wish Marc the very best.

Silver Cue Rest in Peace...

Pete

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete -WTF!!!! This room has been open since 1964 or 65- when did this happen!
Details please. This was a true classic pool room.....seedy- dark- but great equipment and players...this is the room I hung out in when I was 15 and my dad had to sign a permission slip for me to go into. Saw all the greats come through there. This is really sad! This is the room that my book was based on.....

Bob

Last edited:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Details please. This was a true classic pool room.....seedy- dark- but great equipment and players...this is the room I hung out in when I was 15 and my dad had to sign a permission slip for me to go into. Saw all the greats come through there. This is really sad! This is the room that my book was based on.....

Bob
I thought it had closed years ago and then Marc reopened it. Evidently he wasn't able to keep it going.
That is sad. I've only been serious about pool for about 10 years got into it more after my youngest went off to college. I counted how many rooms that had gone out in MA that I had been to one day and it was something like a dozen in just 10 years or so.
Mr Billiards - Framingham
Breakers - Woburn
Cuetime - Pembroke
Airport Billiards - Hopedale?
Mickey's - Holbrook
Renaissance - Quincy
Your own place - Haverhill
Now Silver Cue - Woburn
Chalkie's - Westborough?
The Room at Fireflies BBQ - Marlborough

That is just off the top of my head and I don't have near the exposure you have to the rooms around here. Truly sad, I guess the fast twitch game generation is bored with pool or just too lazy to expend the effort it takes to learn the game.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think this guy spend humungos money on this place. He was planning it for something like 5 years....

I think there are way more rooms than that list that closed. For the heck of it I'll try to get a list together.....

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob

I really don't have much for details. I went to play on Monday last week, no problem, then I went on Friday to meet Doctor Death for our weekly "Kick My Ass" practice session. When i got there Ed, Arny, and Steve (a couple of other guys that play there on Fridays) were outside. They said that the place was closed and heard that the power was out from Wednesday.

In any case, i feel really bad for Marc, He worked really hard to keep that room going but the times are tough.

Pete

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh that sucks. I only went once to play Dave Egdahl but I really liked it. Was just too far for me to travel to often.

1hit1der

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I only heard about not being able to pay the electric bill, something like $8k. That's second hand info though. Boston Billiards by Fenway closed in January. Jillians by Fenway though just put on Simonis on most of their tables (still red though), but obviously doesn't offer the 'players hall' atmosphere.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I only heard about not being able to pay the electric bill, something like $8k. That's second hand info though. Boston Billiards by Fenway closed in January. Jillians by Fenway though just put on Simonis on most of their tables (still red though), but obviously doesn't offer the 'players hall' atmosphere.

Oye...that's tough. I remember that feeling well. Just thinking back to those days makes my stomach turn. I remember Mass Elect out back of my place with the bolt cutters...... Poor Marc will be at rock bottom for awhile. It takes a long time to be able to pick your head up. He tried hard.

Be interested to know if and when anyone gets any info on who is trying to handle a sale. I would be interested in maybe talking to them (don't tell my wife :eek:!) Woburn is my home town and I play over at the Towanda Club.

Bob

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete...That is sad news indeed! Marc was a very gracious host, whenever I did lessons at Silver Cue (couple dozen times), and had recently asked me to work with him, the next time I was in Boston. Bummer...:(

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I really don't have much for details. I went to play on Monday last week, no problem, then I went on Friday to meet Doctor Death for our weekly "Kick My Ass" practice session. When i got there Ed, Arny, and Steve (a couple of other guys that play there on Fridays) were outside. They said that the place was closed and heard that the power was out from Wednesday.

In any case, i feel really bad for Marc, He worked really hard to keep that room going but the times are tough.

Pete

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I thought it had closed years ago and then Marc reopened it. Evidently he wasn't able to keep it going.
That is sad. I've only been serious about pool for about 10 years got into it more after my youngest went off to college. I counted how many rooms that had gone out in MA that I had been to one day and it was something like a dozen in just 10 years or so.
Mr Billiards - Framingham
Breakers - Woburn
Cuetime - Pembroke
Airport Billiards - Hopedale?
Mickey's - Holbrook
Renaissance - Quincy
Your own place - Haverhill
Now Silver Cue - Woburn
Chalkie's - Westborough?

That is just off the top of my head and I don't have near the exposure you have to the rooms around here. Truly sad, I guess the fast twitch game generation is bored with pool or just too lazy to expend the effort it takes to learn the game.

How could I forget Brighton Billiards...

tlos123

Registered
silver cue

First time I played pool was there. I saw some really short guy with a hat and a cigar who would jump up on the table and never seemed to miss. Later after playing for a while I learned It was shorty. The pool world keeps shrimking and losing legends and rooms. It makes me worried about our sport................

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
and Good Times in Somerville.

Of course... did you realize they wanted to reopen Good Times in Brockton, but they were blocked because it was thought they'd bring a "bad element" into Brockton. Be serious, how much worse could the "element" get in Brockton. I think it more likely they were blocked by the Westgate Bowl.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it was thought they'd bring a "bad element" into Brockton.

!!!!ROTFLMAO!!!! Silly, silly politicians....

So I have an identity card that I have carried in my wallet for years. It is from 1985- it was a reunion we had of all the people that literally grew up and hung out at The Silver Cue in the 60's early 70's. It was held at the Woburn Country Club. I almost got in BIG trouble with one of the guys kid sister, who I had not seen in years, but turned out quite amazing...but that is another story. I always got a kick out of this one:

The holder of this card is entitled to:
1. Hold the record for being kicked out of Hampton Beach motels.
2. Say they grew up with celebrities the likes of Twanga, Slacka, Hacka, Yunky, Doo Dad, Twig, Gumba, Head, Bucci, Soupy, Turtle, Frosty, Butch, Bemish, Hamey,Whizza, Cat, Amos, Pop, coke Bottles, Beef, Woody and Z

Now there were some first class nicknames. Sad, but there a 9 of those guys that are dead that I know of. There are probably more.

Bob

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course... did you realize they wanted to reopen Good Times in Brockton, but they were blocked because it was thought they'd bring a "bad element" into Brockton. Be serious, how much worse could the "element" get in Brockton. I think it more likely they were blocked by the Westgate Bowl.

LOFL...that is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.
My apologies to anyone from Brockton who reads this but, that place is about as down and out as anywhere you can go.
I doubt Westgate has that kind of pull but you never know.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at World Class yesterday and heard (I know, hear-say) that Silver Cue is listed on Craigs list. Maybe someone with some cash to throw around can buy it...

Pete