Best J/B any price

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
Whats the best J/b out there for any amount. I dont like carrying 3 sticks so it must be a j/b not just a breaker. So whats ur opinion?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BreakCue

ElCheapoDepo: players,j&j Mid-range: fury Do-re-mi: gilbert i'm sure there's more hi-end stuff but around ks.,ok.,mo. gilberts &shurtz rule

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In any range, I'd go for the x-breaker. I had the BK2 (SW), threw it away, the junk warped (yes warped!) after like 20 breaks. The Mezz Powerbreak is good, I have it for 4 years and still as straight as ever.
If you want a fancy cue, there's a version of the Stinger with inlays, but the x-breaker will break harder.
In the end, you can always go custom and get the specs you want the cue to be.

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Ok I have owned a lot of the top end jb cues and I just acquired a varney jb. Bar none the best jb I have ever owned. Type in varney and try to find a bad review about the performance of his cues.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lomax, is the best for the $$, perhaps best period.

he posts as SteveL here I believe, while I cant speak for him-I would bet that if you bought one from him and didnt like it he would refund your $$$ less shipping. Dont hold me to that but he is my friend and I know how he does biz, and WOW are they awesome.

i know I said he is my friend but that dosent mean I'm getting paid to endorse his cues, or get favors. His cues are that great, Shannon Daulton turned me on to him over a year ago. look him up here and tell him Fatboy said hi, you wont be disappointed.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
If you ever think you may want to use your j/b to play with then I would steer you to the Gilbert. His j/b's are the all-around master. In fact, in this cuemakers opinion...Andy's j/b's actually hit & play about as well as any cue you can buy. I know several quality players that use one as their primary playing cue. And his quality/fit/finish is absolutely top shelf.
Rick Howard's Mace is another top quality j/b that also serves well as a playing cue if needed...a very nice all around j/b.
My j/b's are designed more as specific tools for strictly breaking & jumping. I would never recommend trying to use my j/b as a playing cue.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
Well it looks like im gonna look into either a Lomax or a varney. Thanks for the input guys.

theres so many great cues out there its tough to choose.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Steve Lomax, is the best for the $$, perhaps best period.

he posts as SteveL here I believe, while I cant speak for him-I would bet that if you bought one from him and didnt like it he would refund your $$$ less shipping. Dont hold me to that but he is my friend and I know how he does biz, and WOW are they awesome.

i know I said he is my friend but that dosent mean I'm getting paid to endorse his cues, or get favors. His cues are that great, Shannon Daulton turned me on to him over a year ago. look him up here and tell him Fatboy said hi, you wont be disappointed.

Better than a Szamboti?

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I've had two varney's, one was the best jump/break I've ever owned. The other wasn't anything to write home about. Haven't tried the lomax. Right now I'm using a modified j/j, have about 90 dollars in it and think it is pretty good. For the money you can't beat a j&j.

The varney I liked was the death threat cue, was light and broke the balls like a cannon. Both varney's jumped pretty well, and actually like the longer jump handle.