Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good grief! This does not make any sense to me. BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICINE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Baumann

Blood pressure medicine?
In this case it was in toothpaste.

There were several cases where athletes made mistakes in taking wrong medicine or dietary supplement.
But since the big doping scandals in cycling, football etc. doping is like a red rag in Europe.To that effect there are heavy penalties for all doping delicts.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, well I’m shocked anyone in the entire pool world was drug tested.

Second, I follow Olympic weightlifting and other strength sports, and almost every single time someone tests positive for doping, they claim it is some rx med or some harmless otc supplement. They fight it, request a hearing, and a B sample test.

They all end up losing their appeals and get banned for a year or so.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Baumann

Blood pressure medicine?
In this case it was in toothpaste.

There were several cases where athletes made mistakes in taking wrong medicine or dietary supplement.
But since the big doping scandals in cycling, football etc. doping is like a red rag in Europe.To that effect there are heavy penalties for all doping delicts.

This is ridiculous. It's like me testing positive for heroin because I had a muffin for breakfast with poppy seeds on it. Sheesh!

Attachments

• Almond_Poppy_Seed_Muffins06.jpg
    Almond_Poppy_Seed_Muffins06.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 512

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good grief! This does not make any sense to me. BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICINE!

If the medicine was on a banned substance list then it doesnt matter - he is tested positive by WADA and thats it. Now what kind of banned substance and circumstances - thats another story, that will determine the penalty. In case of unintentional doping the penalty by WADA is 2 years of competition ban. Now this penalty can be lowered by WADA under certain circumstances. Based upon past examples the lowest penalty Mario can expect is 6-12 months competition ban.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the medicine was on a banned substance list then it doesnt matter - he is tested positive by WADA and thats it. Now what kind of banned substance and circumstances - thats another story, that will determine the penalty. In case of unintentional doping the penalty by WADA is 2 years of competition ban. Now this penalty can be lowered by WADA under certain circumstances. Based upon past examples the lowest penalty Mario can expect 6-12 months competition ban.

That is outrageously wrong on so many levels.

How stupid are those blue-blooded European doping committee members. Stupid is as stupid does. :angry::mad::angry::mad:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Caffeine is on the banned list. But only above extremely high amounts. You’d have to drink something like 20 cups before a test for a positive.

Hang around a sport that is regularly tested and you will see tons of people fail. And they all claim they were not cheating.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you seen Mario He's physique? He's a little chunky kind of guy, big build. I don't think he's taking enhancing drugs like Lance Armstrong. I think he has a medical condition like a lot people do who are carrying extra weight. Poor guy has high blood pressure, like I do.

I wish he had written his statement better. Also, I wish he did not withdraw. Let the record speak for itself.

I agree it’s likely an unfortunate and innocent misunderstanding. But I assume restricted PEDs aren’t only about building muscle. I assume they also cover things that could enhance your focus, heart rate and reaction to adrenaline. That kind of stuff could improve pool performance in high pressure situations. It is the responsibility of the athlete to know the list and scrutinize what they allow in their body. It is truly sad, though, to see a mistake have this level of consequence for such a respected player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is outrageously wrong on so many levels.

How stupid are those blue-blooded European doping committee members. Stupid is as stupid does. :angry::mad::angry::mad:

It has nothing to do with blue-blooded Europeans, WADA is World Anti-Doping Agency ;)
https://www.wada-ama.org/
If you treat pool as a sport there are certain things you have to do right and taking the right medication if needed is one of them. And Mario's fault was his negligence to check that he was ok to take such medication, that it adhered to anti-doping rules (which it didnt aparently). And IF that medication was THE only one for his health condition then it was his obligation to obtain a medical exemption from WADA. As harsh as it may sound it is the only way to do things right in SPORT...

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
It has nothing to do with blue-blooded Europeans, WADA is World Anti-Doping Agency ;)
If you treat pool as a sport there are certain things you have to do right and taking the right medication if needed is one of them. And Mario's fault was his negligence to check that he was ok to take such medication, that it adhered to anti-doping rules (which it didnt aparently). And IF that medication was THE only one for his health condition then it was his obligation to obtain a medical exemption from WADA. As harsh as it may sound it is the only way to do things right in SPORT...

I agree with this. I spoke to Mario on multiple occasions in recent years and thought he was genuinely nice. It's unfortunate that this happened. As a competitive athlete for close to a decade, I was always advised to consult with specialized medical professionals to make sure in days leading to a drug test, I'd not consume anything that would remotely trigger any false positive.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Strange these blue-blooded European-used entities have never tested on U.S. soil. Hmm.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep
Too many cases of unintentional bans due to certain medications sportspersons take. My favorite tennis player Maria Sharapova was banned for substance that was not banned pre-2016 and was added to list in early 2016 so she was banned. Onus is on sportspersons to check medication they are taking is not on the list. Too late to say after positive that you didn't know
In legal speak, it is a technicality but it is still a ban. Mario will come back as many banned sportspersons have :)

nike-tech-knit-04.jpg

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question about American players is interesting. Most tournaments aren’t WADA affiliated. I wonder if the World Pool Series is required to test through some WPA affiliation.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is outrageous. The blood pressure I am taking is on the list. It does not alter my thinking, my vision, my hand-and-eye coordination, or enhance my performance whatsoever. That list is nuts, absolute hogwash. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Attachments

• 44.JPG
    44.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 403

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a bit of superficial knowledge on my side, but I think someone told me that former snooker pro Neal Foulds had a massive drop in his performance after Beta blockers were forbidden.
He took them against his extreme nervousness and after they became banned he could not play as freely as he used to do.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is outrageous. The blood pressure I am taking is on the list. It does not alter my thinking, my vision, my hand-and-eye coordination, or enhance my performance whatsoever. That list is nuts, absolute hogwash. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

The current theory on beta blockers is that they can reduce anxiety. Musicians have used them to ease stage fright. For Billiards it is only prohibited during competition. It’s permitted outside of that.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a bit of superficial knowledge on my side, but I think someone told me that former snooker pro Neal Foulds had a massive drop in his performance after Beta blockers were forbidden.
He took them against his extreme nervousness and after they became banned he could not play as freely as he used to do.

So what happens if someone who needs blood pressure medicine does not take it and then drops dead from a stroke or a heart attack on a field of tournament blue?

This is crazy! We're talking about blood pressure medicine. Some people must take it to stay alive.

Shooting pool is not Tour de France or a sport which requires heavy physical action. Walking around the table and shooting pool on blood pressure medicine should not be raising eyebrows by anyone.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current theory on beta blockers is that they can reduce anxiety. Musicians have used them to ease stage fright. For Billiards it is only prohibited during competition. It’s permitted outside of that.

I take mine once a day. If I skip a day, I guess I can just die, according to the WADA, if I want to compete professionally.

It's ridiculous.

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
So what happens if someone who needs blood pressure medicine does not take it and then drops dead from a stroke or a heart attack on a field of tournament blue?

This is crazy! We're talking about blood pressure medicine. Some people must take it to stay alive.

Shooting pool is not Tour de France or a sport which requires heavy physical action. Walking around the table and shooting pool on blood pressure medicine should not be raising eyebrows by anyone.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/what-we-do/science-medical/therapeutic-use-exemptions