Mezz United joint Pin???

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember the measurement right now, but I have to bore out quite a bit of material from the regular brass inserts before I ream. I think Viking wants $12 for the inserts, that's not gonna happen...

Just did one for a Viking quick release. o.d. on the barrel was .260. o.d. on the threaded part was .310. I used a G drill and a .308x18 tap. Very good fit. Next time I might try a 6.6mm drill bit.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just did one for a Viking quick release. o.d. on the barrel was .260. o.d. on the threaded part was .310. I used a G drill and a .308x18 tap. Very good fit. Next time I might try a 6.6mm drill bit.

:thumbup:

Just run a 17/64 drill in and then just run a 5/16-18 GH-3 tap in to clean it out.

Easy.....
This is to fit a Viking.

jollysailor

Registered
What size you bore it to?

Hello Michael,

Based on the measurements on my calipers, the ID was bored to .27" and the pilot was turned down to .483". I am not sure if these are the ideal measurements to work to, what I did was to measure the minor diameter of the United Pin and the ID of the groove on the joint collar and worked to the stated measurements on the brass insert. So far it fits alright! =)

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Michael,

Based on the measurements on my calipers, the ID was bored to .27" and the pilot was turned down to .483". I am not sure if these are the ideal measurements to work to, what I did was to measure the minor diameter of the United Pin and the ID of the groove on the joint collar and worked to the stated measurements on the brass insert. So far it fits alright! =)

Hi JS
If it doesn't have a sloppy wiggle when you screw it together, then you did well. If it's sloppy then I would try a 6.6mm, G or lastly 17/64 in that order. Better fit is a better product. For Mezz, I still do the F drill but I'm fortunate to have multiple taps for the 5/16x14.

jollysailor

Registered
Hi JS
If it doesn't have a sloppy wiggle when you screw it together, then you did well. If it's sloppy then I would try a 6.6mm, G or lastly 17/64 in that order. Better fit is a better product. For Mezz, I still do the F drill but I'm fortunate to have multiple taps for the 5/16x14.

Michael,

Thank you for the valuable piece of advice. I will take note for the future. Tested the fitting earlier, it was good! :) All thanks to the sharing and support here. =)

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just had some brass inserts come in but the united pins could not even go into the inserts which were 5/16-14. Probably due to the difference in the minor diameter. If the brass inserts come with a slightly bigger minor diameter, they may probably fit.

If that is the case, the 5/16-14 insert can be reamed and chased again with a tap and should work.