Wet the tips before trimming?

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
How many of you guys wet the tips before trimming the edge? I read somewhere on AZB that it makes it easier to trim. I've noticed that the Kamui Blacks can be a bit of a challenge to trim but I didn't want to mist them with water until I'm sure. I'm a little scared of delamination from the moisture. It's kind of an expensive science experiment. :smile:

hopscotch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wettings the tips

I wet the tips before cutting especially kamui tips it makes them so much easier to cut I've done a few hundred kamui's and never had a problem yet I saw it on youtube and it has worked great for me kamui does not wet them in there install video but tiger says to moisten it to get a better result in there video
Good Luck hope this was helpful

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I wet the tips before cutting especially kamui tips it makes them so much easier to cut I've done a few hundred kamui's and never had a problem yet I saw it on youtube and it has worked great for me kamui does not wet them in there install video but tiger says to moisten it to get a better result in there video
Good Luck hope this was helpful

Appreciate the quick response. Do you mist them with a spray bottle or just rub a little on the edge?

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All depends on the type of glue that was used to glue the layers together with. Talisman tips use a water soluble glue and if you get them wet they will delaminate. I would imagine there may be others.

Dick

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
Wet leather cuts much better than dry.I wet the sides before trimming with a razor blade.I don't think it stays wet long enough to cause the layers to delaminate.

Best Wishes,

Steve

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never heard of that method before. Seems odd to me, but what do I know? I can see that the dampened leather would probably cut easier, but I wonder if there's any amount of swelling due to the moisture, then shrinkage later as it dries. Then again, we're just talking a tiny bit of water, not dunking it in the bath tub.

Are you using a lathe with a tailstock? If so, put a concave live center in the tailstock and place it against the tip with a bit if pressure, then trim the tip. The live center assures that the tip cannot flex away from the cutter, so the tip is trimmed exactly straight with the ferrule. As you get close to the ferrule, start taking very small cuts. You almost won't have to clean things up with fine sandpaper, depending on the tip cuz some cut much nicer than others. Finally, a carbide cutter will go thru any tip like butter.

I don't mean to insult you. I don't know who you are, what your skill level is, what kind of machelinery you have, etc.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
When I install a Kamui black medium, I cut it with the lathe tool because it's so hard. I shape it with a utility knife blade and then throw it a way.

I just don't feel right putting water on it.

They are like a lump of coal. They sure do play well and they don't mushroom.

Kim

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
Never heard of that method before. Seems odd to me, but what do I know? I can see that the dampened leather would probably cut easier, but I wonder if there's any amount of swelling due to the moisture, then shrinkage later as it dries. Then again, we're just talking a tiny bit of water, not dunking it in the bath tub.

Are you using a lathe with a tailstock? If so, put a concave live center in the tailstock and place it against the tip with a bit if pressure, then trim the tip. The live center assures that the tip cannot flex away from the cutter, so the tip is trimmed exactly straight with the ferrule. As you get close to the ferrule, start taking very small cuts. You almost won't have to clean things up with fine sandpaper, depending on the tip cuz some cut much nicer than others. Finally, a carbide cutter will go thru any tip like butter.

I don't mean to insult you. I don't know who you are, what your skill level is, what kind of machelinery you have, etc.

No problem. I've been doing this for a while but I'm always trying to learn better methods. I'm a little obsessive compulsive about my work. I'm Using a Hightower Deluxe lathe. It does have a concave live center but I've never tried using it while trimming. I'll give it a shot. :cool:

Last edited:

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
When I install a Kamui black medium, I cut it with the lathe tool because it's so hard. I shape it with a utility knife blade and then throw it a way.

I just don't feel right putting water on it.

They are like a lump of coal. They sure do play well and they don't mushroom.

Kim

I always start with a fresh utility knife on the Kamuis but they are a bear to trim. The other issue I have is that the black dye they use gets on the ferrule if you're not careful. After trimming, I lightly hit the ferrule and tip with 800 grit but I always move from the ferrule to the tip to avoid the discoloration. :cool:

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
Wet leather cuts much better than dry.I wet the sides before trimming with a razor blade.I don't think it stays wet long enough to cause the layers to delaminate.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Thanks, Steve. Think I'll give it a try on my personal Schon. :cool:

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi There,
little bit of wet... not too much to soak the tip.
Your enemy = heat.
Do not generate too much heat otherwise you will delaminate.
Heat is BAD.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
No problem. I've been doing this for a while but I'm always trying to learn better methods. I'm a little obsessive compulsive about my work. I'm Using a Hightower Deluxe lathe. It does have a concave live center but I've never tried using it while trimming. I'll give it a shot. :cool:

You won't be able to trim the tip with it stuck in the concave center....

Chuck up on half of the ferrule and then trim it. I have the same setup as you.

Kim

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A machinist friend told me years ago, whenever you can use a live center, use it. They were invented to stabilize the material being machined in order to make a safer and more precise cut/pass/turn/whatever.

Of course, depending on the material, the machine, and the operation being performed, live centers might get in the way. Thankfully, there's plenty of room for the concave live center on my Porper Model B lathe.

There are all sorts of live centers out there. If the one supplied with your lathe doesn't give you enough room, I'd be willing to bet you could find one somewhere that does.

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I haven't done a whole lot of kamuis, but I've done 10-15 or so, and I just use a sharp new blue blade from irwin. Cuts like butter. I've never done a kamui hard, so I don't know how that will cut.

Joe

dunkelcustomcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dampen a paper towel and use that to wet the sides. Touch it on the side till it darkens and cut. Repeat process till it's trim.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best Wishes,

Steve

I do the same thing. Some tips don't seem to matter to me either way, because they cut well enough without to do a clean job without doing It, but It does seem to really help with some of the softer tips. I have a spray bottle with water in it. I just lightly spray a paper towel, or apply a couple of drops to It, and then use It to wet the edges while spinning My jaws by hand.. It doesn't seem to soak into the tip too far, yet makes trimming much easier. I've never had one delaminate from doing this either, but then It is something that should be done with caution. I could Imagine someone not knowing better, and over soaking the tip.

cueguy

Just a repair guy
Silver Member
Me too

Best Wishes,

Steve

Yep - same here.
I just use a little "Pappa's 409" (spit) and apply with fingers ;-)

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 60º live center in my tailstock with a brass piece on the end to put pressure on the tip while cutting the tip close to flush. The brass is turned down to about Ø12mm and has a matching 60º concave cone on the end to center on the tailstock. I wrap the shaft with a 1” strip of flat silicone rubber and chuck it real tight in my back jaw. That way I can wrap the ferrule with a rolling paper and don’t have to over tighten my front jaw to overcome the clamp pressure from the tailstock. I finish with a razor blade.

100+ Kamui black's, no water, no problems.