tips on dealing with haters?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how you guys deal with this.

My speed: semi-pro on a good day if I get a lucky roll here and there. Won lots of tiny tourneys.. No issues at tourneys but they take too long so stopped doing them.

Mostly play at this pool bar, mostly bar and league players. All ages, sexes, etc. Mostly hipsters, millennials and radical feminists. One barbox, winner gets to keep the table. Bca rules. Always a really long line to play but everyone waits and everyone wants to run the table.

There have been many nights where I run the table from opening to closing. If I lose, people literally celebrate and make a scene. ( A lot of railbirds at this bar ). I'm not talking about action we play for nothing.

I try to shake everyone's hand, no ego, I smile after each game, basically I try to be as cool as possible with everyone. Some are really respectful, lots of compliments. But. Some regulars straight up hate me. Mostly girls who play center ball and shoot at everything. People who barely know me or don't know me at all would come up to me and say really disturbing disrespectful things. Many regulars don't shake my hand after. Usually female players but men too. These are people who waited an hour and a half to play, took 1 shot and got off the table. Then waited another hour to play and I broke and ran out on them. ( it's always a race to 1 winner breaks ). I've had people flip me off, refuse to shake my hand etc. I've seen it all. The worst is when they don't say much but I can feel the hate. It's definitely real, not in my head. I used to care to figure out why they hate me but try not to even think about it.

Is this normal and is there anything I can do to convert haters into regular people?

Or do I just ignore this? I tried everything. I used to give up the table to the biggest haters but that didn't solve anything. Tried kissing their ass, that didn't work either. Tried talking it out, that didn't work either. I refuse to lose on purpose to make someone feel great. Any tips? People generally like me outside of the pool scene. Also some of the regulars who are really cool with me are turning on me because a lot of haters talk a lot of trash behind my back, who knows what rumors they are spreading... Fyi I have a big heart and those in my life who know me well love me.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off "hate" and "haters" are terms much too widely used today. It usually isn't really about hate, it's jealousy in your case more than anything else. Lots of people who play pool but are NOT PLAYERS think they should always get a shot at the table no matter how good the opponent is. Players accept that there are people who play better than they do and that sometimes the rolls go the other guy's way. People who play pool don't get that. An example: Many years ago now I played in a bar table tournament qualifier with a mix of people from the bar where the qualifier was played and players from the local pool room. One of the bar's regulars was lamenting about how he couldn't understand why he couldn't win. One of the player's wives was talking to him and told him: "Look, you're playing with people who live pool 24 hours a day. My husband dreams about it in his sleep. If they aren't playing they're thinking about playing ALL THE TIME. You play two or three times a week. It's hard for you to compete with someone like that." The guy still didn't get it. People like that never do unless they start to put in the time and dedication that makes a player.
Try not to take it too personal.

itsjay764

Registered
Train your mind to be stronger than your emotions. Having self control will get you further than constantly reacting to everything that's trying to test your patience. Center yourself and remain calm in difficult or challenging situations.

~SWIM

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how you guys deal with this.

My speed: semi-pro on a good day if I get a lucky roll here and there. Won lots of tiny tourneys.. No issues at tourneys but they take too long so stopped doing them.

Mostly play at this pool bar, mostly bar and league players. All ages, sexes, etc. Mostly hipsters, millennials and radical feminists. One barbox, winner gets to keep the table. Bca rules. Always a really long line to play but everyone waits and everyone wants to run the table.

There have been many nights where I run the table from opening to closing. If I lose, people literally celebrate and make a scene. ( A lot of railbirds at this bar ). I'm not talking about action we play for nothing.

I try to shake everyone's hand, no ego, I smile after each game, basically I try to be as cool as possible with everyone. Some are really respectful, lots of compliments. But. Some regulars straight up hate me. Mostly girls who play center ball and shoot at everything. People who barely know me or don't know me at all would come up to me and say really disturbing disrespectful things. Many regulars don't shake my hand after. Usually female players but men too. These are people who waited an hour and a half to play, took 1 shot and got off the table. Then waited another hour to play and I broke and ran out on them. ( it's always a race to 1 winner breaks ). I've had people flip me off, refuse to shake my hand etc. I've seen it all. The worst is when they don't say much but I can feel the hate. It's definitely real, not in my head. I used to care to figure out why they hate me but try not to even think about it.

Is this normal and is there anything I can do to convert haters into regular people?

Or do I just ignore this? I tried everything. I used to give up the table to the biggest haters but that didn't solve anything. Tried kissing their ass, that didn't work either. Tried talking it out, that didn't work either. I refuse to lose on purpose to make someone feel great. Any tips? People generally like me outside of the pool scene. Also some of the regulars who are really cool with me are turning on me because a lot of haters talk a lot of trash behind my back, who knows what rumors they are spreading... Fyi I have a big heart and those in my life who know me well love me.
Sounds like, if you're really serious about improving your game, you need to find a place to play that has more competition on your level. If you want to continue to play at this joint, and you want to be accepted by the other players, which I think it must or you would not be starting this thread, you need to ease up and let some of the regulars and particularly the women win once in a while. Perhaps play off-handed, play you have to bank the 8-ball, or something/anything that just makes it more competitive for your opponents when playing you. I just have a hard time figuring what kind of pleasure you get from dominating these other players in a bar pool / social setting such as this?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You might want to consider finding another venue. Dominating the table, open to close, can't be fun for anybody, even you.

This.

If you beat everybody there, what's the point? Don't you want to be challenged?

Waiting 1 hour or more to play to play someone who they can't possibly beat, I can actually understand why they're pissed off. These people are out to have fun with their friends and maybe play a game of pool (for amateurs, that game can take maybe 15 minutes if they don't know what they're doing). When you run the table on them in a little over a minute, that isn't a fun time for them. The hate and the bad language goes with the territory, being a bar and all. I'm not defending that behaviour, but it is what it is.

This I why I don't play in bars against "civilians". Who cares if they think I'm the greatest player that ever lived? It's entirely pointless, even more so than armwrestling an 8 year old.

I knew a guy who actually got banned from several bars for doing what you're doing, and understandably so. The bar owner doesn't want pissed off, disappointed customers. Why even have a pool table when some "pool nerd" (which is what one of them called him, lol) occupies it for the whole time? The purpose of having the table is to entertain the customers, and as it is, they're not entertained (apart from you). If they're not entertained, they might leave, that costs the bar money. The alternative is to throw the table out and put in more regular tables or a karaoke machine. That is what is probably going to happen if you keep this up.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deal with it or find a room with better players. No one likes a lamb slayer.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just give the name and location of the bar and you'll probably have a guy who played just below champion speed 25 years ago in there tonight, trying to make his daily $20 for cigarettes and McDonald's.

Everyone will hate him, and he won't care, and you'll be off the hook.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any tips?

Well, clearly you know how much people don't like this.

They would like to play pool and you're taking over the table all night.

If you're so peaceful why can't you find another place to play and...well.......who knows.....maybe play people your own strength once in a while?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sorry, but it’s a dick move to dominate the only table just because you can (among bangers, no less). Limit yourself to a few wins in a row and then give up the table and get in line with everybody else. Might even make some friends.

pj
chgo

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've done this a few times and realized that I was just doing it for ego. I wasnt really having fun doing it. Stop playing on in 7' tables completely. That will help you in many ways.

Or, call some crazy high risk shots to get people excited, and stop playing to keep the table.

Here's an example. I was in Flordia on vacation, and ended up playing a few games in a crowded club with my wife and her cousin and friends. I called this 4-bank carom off of the 4, and made it. That was a lot of fun. My partner missed an easy shot on the 14 and we lost, but it didn't matter. The fun was the wild shot.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 926
Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
One barbox does not a pool bar make.

And really no place for a semi-pro to be honing their skill.

YMMV

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's business not personal, if you aren't making money in there and it's that hostile there's not much upside for being there regularly. I get a lot of haters but 95% of it is in tourneys and they don't approve of my tactical slow play. It gets old winning all the time unless you are 21/22 years old. If you aren't getting beat you aren't playing the right players and that goes with pool or any game/sport.

Jimmy C-Note

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You describe yourself as a good guy and probably are but it sounds like you are way beyond the capabilities of most, if not all the people you are playing at this bar.They know it and they know you know it.That is going to bring haters out of the woodwork.Having said that, I do not understand your attraction to this situation. Good competition is what keeps me interested in the game. Good luck with your dilemma.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Sounds like Ed needs to quit playing with his sisters kids 🤣

Can’t change them Ed...move on to actual competition not robbing the blind for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro