video

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
But the last one of the "leave them on opposite sides" group at the start that he called the best was actually the worst because it left an easy bank that would automatically leave the cue ball on the end real for a return safe.

It is good to know safes, but this video is not the one to learn them from.

Agree, the last safety looked like a super easy bank into the side pocket. But still, that shot is harder for the opponent than what he would leave after an attempt at a very thin cut or bank that he was not comfortable with. Those attempts and misses almost always rattle and leave BIJ. I say; if you don't walk up and think to one's self; "I've got this shot", any doubt at all....it's best to play safe.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I put this in the comment section on YouTube...

IMG_3833.JPG

If you teach a beginner to play safe...he may never find out how many shots he can make.
Accuracy should be stressed.....not conservative shots.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I put this in the comment section on YouTube...

If you teach a beginner to play safe...he may never find out how many shots he can make.
Accuracy should be stressed.....not conservative shots.

Probably a true statement in as far as it goes, but it's kinda fun to see the opponent get up out of the chair with the look on his face that once again he's got NO SHOT! And if he isn't skilled at getting a safety from a safety, he loses. Pool is not about going for broke, it's about winning each game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Probably a true statement in as far as it goes, but it's kinda fun to see the opponent get up out of the chair with the look on his face that once again he's got NO SHOT! And if he isn't skilled at getting a safety from a safety, he loses. Pool is not about going for broke, it's about winning each game.

So many safeties I see aren't winning shots...they're just delaying the loss.
...if you can't trap him, go for it.

Those losing safeties...I call them..."Don't take my watch now, take it later."

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/xzb4YonBgqY

The first minute or two is just fine and then the wheels fall off. I made a comment that I thought it was the worst instructional video of all time and now I am getting some flak for that.

So what say you?

Is he actually teaching the correct shot to play in those situations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not the worst instructional, but he's not doing the intemediate players the good that he thinks. Players looking to improve will lose more games than winning with much of his approach. We get where he's going, but I think his overall message might be misguided.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
So many safeties I see aren't winning shots...they're just delaying the loss.
...if you can't trap him, go for it.

Those losing safeties...I call them..."Don't take my watch now, take it later."

Mind you now I'm not playing the pros (all the time), but I love to see my opponent attempt to bank the ball frozen on the end rail and the CB almost frozen on the opposite end rail. I'll let him shoot that shot every day. Even the pro I do play weekly has trouble making that shot. Just opinion coming from a B player, take it for what's it's worth.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mind you now I'm not playing the pros (all the time), but I love to see my opponent attempt to bank the ball frozen on the end rail and the CB almost frozen on the opposite end rail. I'll let him shoot that shot every day. Even the pro I do play weekly has trouble making that shot. Just opinion coming from a B player, take it for what's it's worth.

I call those 'center center'....I got no complaint about playing those....
...it's a winning safety.

It's the weak safeties that I think are losing shots.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I call those 'center center'....I got no complaint about playing those....
...it's a winning safety.

It's the weak safeties that I think are losing shots.

It's true that the side rail T safeties are not that effective especially on a 7' table, unless I can get the CB about the 1st diamond and the OB on the 3rd. Then it's a certain double kiss for the bank to the cross side or he's got to go for the corner.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
The first few safeties are fine, if you're playing a weak player. I would probably fire at the bank if I'm winning in the set but if I'm down or it's close, I might leave them a bank.

The kicking shots are kind of silly, you'd have much more control just hitting the ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the best not the worst, but the links in the thread were fun to watch again. I remember seeing those videos a while ago and they are funny now as then. Reminds me of PoolKillers instructional for amateur players if you guys remember that work of art LOL

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Reminds me of PoolKillers instructional for amateur players if you guys remember that work of art LOL
I have nearly perfected his RAM shot. I just need to find one or two more pool halls that will still let me in.:frown:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
It's not the worst instructional, but he's not doing the intemediate players the good that he thinks. Players looking to improve will lose more games than winning with much of his approach. We get where he's going, but I think his overall message might be misguided.

Just depends on what level the player is and who they're playing. Anything B speed or below, you'll probably win more games than lose by playing safe in this situation. The odds a lower skilled player making a bank under pressure are probably 50/50 at best. But the worst is to bank into a corner pocket and leave them a hanger...

Playing a strong player, I'm gonna be aggressive and bank it myself because their odds are better than 50/50 to bank the ball.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The concept that anyone that bad at making the shot would ever practice those ridiculous safeties is why I gave it The warning I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sums it up just right. If the player doesn't have a decent chance to make the ball, what makes them think they can play one of these safeties well enough to control BOTH balls?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
This sums it up just right. If the player doesn't have a decent chance to make the ball, what makes them think they can play one of these safeties well enough to control BOTH balls?

The margin of error is much smaller to bank a ball in. If I can bank a ball anywhere on the foot rail vs into a 4.5" hole, I'll have better chance at the rail. Against a weaker or even player, I've won many games that I shouldn't have like this.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The margin of error is much smaller to bank a ball in. If I can bank a ball anywhere on the foot rail vs into a 4.5" hole, I'll have better chance at the rail. Against a weaker or even player, I've won many games that I shouldn't have like this.

Wayne Gretzsky said "You miss 100% of the shots you don't go for."

When you play a safety, two things can happen, usually....
...you can get the safety, or you can sell it out.

When you go for the bank, three things can happen, usually...
...you can make it, you can sell it out, or you can get a safety...
...I like the 2 to 1 in my favor....so I often go for it.

Sometimes when you go for a shot, you find you're better at it than you thought...
...if you never go for them, you'll never know.