Silver Member

Attachments

• blb17857_25485829488_o.jpg
    blb17857_25485829488_o.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,543

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great looking room. Are those GC1 bases with GC5 tops or did they paint the bases of the GC5 white?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! That’s a neat concept. Early morning coffee shop and pool room. I haven’t seen that combo tried before. Looks promising!

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to Marie's quite a few times when I lived in Chicago. One of the big problems was no parking. It would be very interesting to know if the new owners negotiated with the private lot next door for parking privileges or not.

One of the biggest scams in Chicago's recent history was the leasing of all the parking spots in the city to a privately owned company. It was so bad for the city that when Rahm became mayor he did extensive work on rescinding the contract. He lost is his attempt. It was put through when Mayor Daley was running the city, Mayor Daley made damned sure it was a locked down deal. When Mr. Daley left city hall guess who he went to work for, the company that controls all the parking. What a scam and sweet deal for him that was...

As a result the costs of parking in Chicago have skyrocketed, who would have seen that coming? The tickets for not pumping in the coin have gone up also, guess the city wants there pound of flesh as well.
This is also an issue for Chris's because they lost the rights to park in the private lot next to the fire station on Milwaukee Ave.
I wish the new owners of Marie's all the luck in the world!

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Memories

Wow, first went there with Tommy Spencer for a friday night tourn. Wendel Wier, Tommy Karrobasas(sorry Tommy) rocketman great old place. Miss those great old days Dick Weaver,north shore billards.Mike Gamboni Al Oror ?ALLYOOP Freddy of course.after hrs at the King & I.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rico...Fixed that for you! :thumbup: Yeah, those were the days. I cut my pool teeth at Marie's Golden Cue too, starting in 1971. That was before Chris Crisman opened Chris's Billiards a few years later. Chris would come into Marie's all the time, and was good friends with Ted. Dallas West also played in those tournaments.

Surge is owned by my friend Waheeb, who has owned and operated Pressure Billiards for many years now. He went through the whole process of meeting with people who live in the neighborhood, the aldermen, and other close by business owners, so that everyone knew exactly what he planned to do, BEFORE making the decision to buy Marie's...smart guy! It is really great to see the old room resurrected with a new life and purpose! I'll be in there right after the DCC, when I come to Chicago for a few days of teaching.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Wow, first went there with Tommy Spencer for a friday night tourn. Wendel Wier, Tommy Karabotsis(sorry Tommy) rocketman great old place. Miss those great old days Dick Weaver,north shore billards.Mike Gamboni Al Oror ?ALLYOOP Freddy of course.after hrs at the King & I.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great looking room. Are those GC1 bases with GC5 tops or did they paint the bases of the GC5 white?

xian, you were close = they are GC2 bases with GC5 tops.

Rico...Fixed that for you! :thumbup: Yeah, those were
the days. I cut my pool teeth at Marie's Golden Cue too, starting in 1971. That was before Chris Crisman opened Chris's Billiards a few years later. Chris would come into Marie's all the time, and was good friends with Ted. Dallas West also played in those tournaments.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Yeah, I played at Marie's way back in the day also... Yo Scott - not quite right re. Chris's...very few people know that the poolroom Chris's Billiards was originally Bob's Billiards, owned by Bob Ries - Bob originally put together the space, tables etc..but just 2 years later Bob decided to get out of the poolroom business and sold it to Chris, who renamed it Chris's Billiards.

And for a bit of personal trivia....Chris's is still my homeroom (as you know Scott) and I'm the only player left there that's been playing there since the 1st week that Chris took over - and I also played there when it was Bob's Billiards...Bob, by the way was a 3cushion player, which is the reason that Chris's has always had several 3cushion tables throughout it's history.

- Ghost

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this room. We deseparately need one here in D.C. area like that. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW WE NEED 1 IN CENTRAL IL WITH BIG TABLES & COFFEE TOO.! COME ON DOWN STATE. GOURGOUS PLACE!:thumbup: RADAR LOVE!

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Wow, first went there with Tommy Spencer for a friday night tourn. Wendel Wier, Tommy Karrobasas(sorry Tommy) rocketman great old place. Miss those great old days Dick Weaver,north shore billards.Mike Gamboni Al Oror ?ALLYOOP Freddy of course.after hrs at the King & I.

Tom "Karabatsos"..lol

Good chance you and I crossed paths before. I used to hang around from time to time with Dickie back then.:smile:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love it
i hope this room is a big success
I have never seen such a nice room

Are the tables GC1 with GC5 topor is this standard CG5

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you may be interested in knowing that my good friend and respectful :eek: One Pocket student, the notorious, curmudgeonly, and frequently banned from azbilliards :p Patrick Johnson, was heavily involved in the development and creation of Surge Billiards.

- Ghost

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
Thanks for posting, Ideologist! I didn't know about Surge, but I have to go to Roger's Park soon, so I can take a little detour and check out this new room. Looks great.