View Single Post
Old
  (#29)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStick View Post
... how does equipment variability come into play, e. g. bucket vs. tight pockets, 7 vs 9 ft tables, etc?
Here's a quote from the BU Exam Instructions document:

A 9 table is recommended because the exams and rating system were designed for a regulation-size table. To receive a Doctorate diploma, both exams must be taken on a 9 (or larger) table; however, a smaller table size (e.g., 7 or 8) is allowed for a Bachelors or Masters diploma.

We also collect table and pocket information (pocket point-to-point size and shelf depth) with the diploma application form, and publish this information with the scores on the official page that lists people's results. This will provide useful context along with the scores.

For this AZB thread, I thought people would just share their score, but they can also list the table info if they want to (for example, if they are proud of the fact they got a great score on a 10' table with 4" pockets!).
I forgot to mention that there is a factor in the score related to table size. If you take Exam I on a table smaller than 9', you're not allowed to take the Doctorate version of Exam II even if you score high enough on Exam I. In fact, this happened to me during my run at the exams (as summarized in the Exam I overview video). I got a 74 on Exam I, which falls in the Doctorate range (70-100), but since I took the Exam on an 8' table, I wasn't allowed to take the Doctorate version of Exam II. I had to take the Masters version instead, which has few points available. If I had taken the Doctorate version, I'm sure I could have earned more points than I did with the Masters version (even though the difficulty level is tougher with the Doctorate version), so doing the exams on a smaller table can limit your total score some.

Thanks again for the good question,
Dave