BCA Room Members

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Just wondering if the BCA, because of its supposid committment to its members is really giving the room owner the tools it needs to increase business, they recently raised their annual dues and membership dropped. To get more business exclusively for the room owner members, create a room owners association structured much like the BCA with its board and committes and develop a plan that would directly benefit all members by increasing participation, sharing ideas and developing competitions for all levels of players. Are the BCA room members truly seeing a difference in their business by giving the BCA their annual dues or would they be better off forming their own association. It doesn't seem that a BCA room owner member makes a difference in how the BCA board conducts business. What do you think?

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Island Drive said:
Just wondering if the BCA, because of its supposid committment to its members is really giving the room owner the tools it needs to increase business, they recently raised their annual dues and membership dropped. To get more business exclusively for the room owner members, create a room owners association structured much like the BCA with its board and committes and develop a plan that would directly benefit all members by increasing participation, sharing ideas and developing competitions for all levels of players. Are the BCA room members truly seeing a difference in their business by giving the BCA their annual dues or would they be better off forming their own association. It doesn't seem that a BCA room owner member makes a difference in how the BCA board conducts business. What do you think?

I think that you have brought up some good points. I opened a room in September 2004, and I have never been contacted by the BCA about anything.

I have sent multiple teams every year to the BCA Nationals and I have also contacted the BCA reference their Juniors Programs with no response.

I really do not think that the BCA is a viable organization any longer. In days past they were the governing body of pool, they sanctioned National tournaments and fully supported Pool and Billiard programs on a National Level.

Today, the BCA is a shell of it's former self, the decay in this organization became very obvious in 2003 with the formation of the American Cuesports Organization.

Now the BCA no longer has control of it's pool league.

Someone, please tell me what useful purpose this Organization serves?

In addition please tell me why anyone would want to maintain affiliation with this organization or membership other than to participate in the pool league that the BCA no longer owns?

I would like some insight, and would be grateful for a response.

Last edited:

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
*shakes head*

I dont think the "sport" of pool has any real direction by ANY organization. Not the BCA or APA or WPBA or IPT. They all have their own seperate goals but not really a unified goal for pool in general. This is why there is no progression out of run down pool rooms and sponsorship of our sport. The BCA has done SOME things that were in the right direction in the past in terms of taking polls of the industry etc. But they dont follow up on it or do it enough to determine trends in our business. Bar leagues make too much money on alcohol to make the billiard part of it very serious. They all set up the rules to sell more drinks, put more coins in the boxes, encourage sandbagging in league. Not really advancing someones play along the way. Better players are penalized. Have I gone far enough off the subject yet? What was I saying. Where am I? Im just confused now.....

Rambling at 5am after a 16 hr work day...................

*sigh*

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
If you are unhappy with the BCA program, the ACS is an excellent alternative, and very well organized.

http://www.americancuesports.org/default.htm

Room owners can sign up for proprietor membership (I think it $100 - much less than the $150-$1000 fees offered by the BCA) here are just some of the benefits offered:

Your ACS Proprietor Membership provides you with the following benefits:
- Nominating and voting privileges for one directorship to the ACS Board annually
- Private access to the “Proprietors Forum” on the ACS website, where billiard room members may share advice and opinions on all aspects of conducting their business
- Take advantage of exclusive discounts offered by our corporate partners such as 1-800- FLOWERS, Barnes & Noble, Circuit City, etc.
- Opportunity to host a McDermott All American Tour stop and/or to sanction your in- house league(s) with ACS
- Listing of your establishment and its promotions on the ACS website
- Opportunity for annual appointment to the ACS Proprietor Committee
- ACS cue pen
- ACS “Proprietor Member” certificate
- ACS member decals

Flip around the site, there are some very good people involved with the ACS, including Cecil Messer, John Lewis, and I believe Bob Jewett is on their Board of Directors. Dwaine Bowman of Leisure Time Billiards (Moline, Il) is currently the Proprietor Director. His number is 309-752-9559.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
If you are unhappy with the BCA program, the ACS is an excellent alternative, and very well organized.

http://www.americancuesports.org/default.htm

Room owners can sign up for proprietor membership (I think it $100 - much less than the $150-$1000 fees offered by the BCA) here are just some of the benefits offered:

Your ACS Proprietor Membership provides you with the following benefits:
- Nominating and voting privileges for one directorship to the ACS Board annually
- Private access to the “Proprietors Forum” on the ACS website, where billiard room members may share advice and opinions on all aspects of conducting their business
- Take advantage of exclusive discounts offered by our corporate partners such as 1-800- FLOWERS, Barnes & Noble, Circuit City, etc.
- Opportunity to host a McDermott All American Tour stop and/or to sanction your in- house league(s) with ACS
- Listing of your establishment and its promotions on the ACS website
- Opportunity for annual appointment to the ACS Proprietor Committee
- ACS cue pen
- ACS “Proprietor Member” certificate
- ACS member decals

Flip around the site, there are some very good people involved with the ACS, including Cecil Messer, John Lewis, and I believe Bob Jewett is on their Board of Directors. Dwaine Bowman of Leisure Time Billiards (Moline, Il) is currently the Proprietor Director. His number is 309-752-9559.

Thanks for the information Blackjack, and have a great night!!!!!

Craig

I've been in the pool room business for 17 years.

None of the organizations offer anything of value to a pool room.

That includes the ACS, BCA, APA,.......all of them.