How to shoot this shot

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
And the survey says: Either pocket can work, so there is no "correct" answer. Its whatever feels better at the time, on that particular table.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are confusing me. I called the pocket based on how it is pictured on the first post from my point of view here sitting on a chair in front of the computer and not as I would view it if I was actually at the table getting down on the shot. It's a backcut.

Anybody that banks this ball must not have much confidence in their pocketing or is from Kentucky.

Yep, that's what you view on the screen, but when describing the shot, don't you think that a standard reference of the table should be used? Top Right pocket is always Top Right as you are viewing it form the breaking position. That way table orientation does not matter.

I'm just saying that because in commentating people would say Top Left when they mean how THEY view it, where the shop may be Bottom Left or Top Right from the player shooting it. And then you have 30 seconds of them explaining what they mean by that hehe. Having the same standard of describing things prevents that.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, that's what you view on the screen, but when describing the shot, don't you think that a standard reference of the table should be used? Top Right pocket is always Top Right as you are viewing it form the breaking position. That way table orientation does not matter.

I'm just saying that because in commentating people would say Top Left when they mean how THEY view it, where the shop may be Bottom Left or Top Right from the player shooting it. And then you have 30 seconds of them explaining what they mean by that hehe. Having the same standard of describing things prevents that.

Actually, describing it as it is seen in the OPs image prevents the confusion that just happened.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
From this angle, the back-cut all the way. Just a small amount more angle, and I'd go with the other corner. Everyone who's saying the back-cut is harder to see, look at the rotated diagram in post #20. It's a pretty mild angle, and at medium-slow speed you can get away with hitting the rail near the pocket. It's the other cut that's tough for me to judge.

-Andrew

danomano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this really depends on the table. If it's a tight pocket table then there is no question its a top left corner short. If its a loose pocket table though, i think the bottom left is better. If its set up exactly right, there is no scratch with a center ball hit on the bottom left corner, or if you are like some who like to play that shot with low, it should stay clear of the side scratch.

no 100% right answer here though - some folks see back cuts easier than open side cuts (assuming you are a righty - reverse for lefties).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slam it as hard as you can and holler, "OVER THERE!" Then aim your stick real quick toward a pocket it may be going towards and try to act cool. If it goes you can strut around like Tom Cruise and put a few quarters in the juke box. If you miss it, you can just slam your stick around and blame it on your tip.

:)

Aloha.

bklynjava

I use PK...UFIGUREITOUT
Silver Member
Here are 4 options I prefer 1 and 2...:thumbup:

pool_shots.jpg

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot fathom a bank shot being a good choice here. Unless the player was really familiar with the table/rails, I can't see the bank being better than 3 out of 5. I'd bet most people would be lucky to make 1 out of 5 if they were shot on separate occasions. Tables don't bank on natural angles. At that distance, the OB is going to be rolling unless you really slam it so the bank angle is going to change. If you can't cut to either of the corner pockets and make that shot more often than you would a bank, you should either be entering the DCC Bank Tournament next year or, more likely, need to practice your bank shots. The right cut to the upper corner pocket is a half ball hit with the angle into the pocket making it about as big as it is going to get.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either corner pocket, mostly personal preference.

My question is what program did you use to post that image? I stopped using the wei when it had a virus attached.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I must be crazy because I favor the bottom left corner pocket. I set it up on my table and the angle is actually alot shallower on a real table than what it looks like on the above diagram.

Do you mean you want to bank it instead of cut it? I think by top they are referring to the top pockets as the farthest away from shooter as he stands behind cue ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My pms is back and I is this guys fault!

So, breaking the balls-from behind the headstring makes the area behind the rack the 'top' of the table?! :slap:

If so, Then yes: the foot rail is the top of the table. :fall:

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
My pms is back and I is this guys fault!

So, breaking the balls-from behind the headstring makes the area behind the rack the 'top' of the table?! :slap:

If so, Then yes: the foot rail is the top of the table. :fall:

Just miss the shot then they won't bother nagging you for calling whichever pocket the wrong name haha!

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am probably 60/40 as to which pocket I'd put that nugget to bed. 60% to top L) pictured pocket, 40% to the back cut to lower L} pocket. I actually prefer to cut that ball down the rail, but a desire to play it correctly drives me to the 60% option uhh, 20% more of the time.

And I am developing a pet peeve: people who refuse to address the pockets as the appear in the picture. Why would one call the 2 pockets at the far left of the picture 'top right' or 'top left'? They are both on the left side of the picture and appear to be at the foot end of the table. Pms stop.

This is what I thought when I read the first couple of responses. The second picture posted helps tremendously in this regard.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is crazy! I had this EXACT shot on the 8 on Monday night in my 8 ball league. We were hill - hill, and I decided to cross cut it into the bottom left corner. I cut it a little sharp, but it rattled in off the long rail. Next time I'm going to the larger pocket.

... Personally, from now on, I'm shooting at the largest target if I'm not worried about shape on the next ball.

fireball

strictly because of my eye issue, i'd cut that shot to the left (backwards; bottom left in pic). If the shot were mirrored, I'd cut it the more natural way.

IrishToad

Registered
Slam it as hard as you can and holler, "OVER THERE!" Then aim your stick real quick toward a pocket it may be going towards and try to act cool. If it goes you can strut around like Tom Cruise and put a few quarters in the juke box. If you miss it, you can just slam your stick around and blame it on your tip.

:)

Aloha.

I laughed way to hard at this.