What to eat before a long tournament

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will be in a tournament possibly lasting up to 14 hours. Any thoughts on what to eat before the Tournament? Carbs the night before? Protein the morning of? Power bars during?

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fruitcake. It doesn't take up much room and packs a lot of calories in each bite. Mentioned in the movie Iron Will.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I always try to make sure that I have some sort of breakfast and a hand full of some kind of breakfast bars. If I can get food there then that's a plus, but if not I'll take nuts and a sandwich and leave them in the car (unless they might freeze or melt), and a bottle of water that I can refil. If it's a day long event that starts in the morning I think breakfast is pretty important, and Advil, make sure you take a bottle of Advil

justaguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
like most of the others mentioned, i try to make sure i have a (light) meal before i go, bring a handful of breakfast/protein/energy bars in my case/pockets. then i make sure to try to drink plenty of water and not go more than a couple of hours without another light meal or snack. never want to be too full, and never want to be too hungry, kinda piece as i go and stay in the middle.

i am susceptible to getting shaky if i dont eat (not diabetic though) so i try to be careful, especially as the day goes on and the stakes/stress go up.

Will be in a tournament possibly lasting up to 14 hours. Any thoughts on what to eat before the Tournament? Carbs the night before? Protein the morning of? Power bars during?

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't over think it. If the place has good toilets in the bathroom, eat a big breakfast and pack a few nutribars in your bag for lunch.

If dropping a deuce can't be done at the hall, eat a small breakfast and load up 1/2 way through the tournament. Pool players piss all over the toilets. Use caution.

Whatever you do, bring your own toilet paper in your bag.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
I will say from experience from long distance running years ago what you eat today will fuel you tomorrow...The day before eat complex carbs like spaghetti....Day of eat protein from meats and chicken no starches like potatos and avoid too much sugary stuff the day of...Most protein bars have very low protein in them unless you get one with 15 plus grams of protein I would try not to eat too many...Rely on real foods to fuel you...The so called power drinks like Red Bull are good...Just find one you like a few weeks out so it agrees with you...
Day of spaghetti is too heavy and remember do NOT eat turkey as it will make you sluggish and tired the day of....
Good luck on your tournament and do not turn your eye away from your equipment or it will be gone...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
doesnt really matter, you just dont want to change from your normal routine.

Your normal routine should be approx 40/30/30% ratio of carbs/ fats/ proteins and fruits/ vegetables in their natural form.

I like to keep energy bars on hand for tournament days, eaten with lots of water.

I have also had great success with energy gels, taken about 15min prior to later-day matches.

Maryjane and jaegermeister.

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what to eat

pasta, pasta salad
big bag of your favorite jerky to nibble on through out the tourny

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Pasta the night before, bananas throughout the day, just when hungry. The potassium really helps, especially as you and your muscles get tired.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
doesnt really matter, you just dont want to change from your normal routine.

Your normal routine should be approx 40/30/30% ratio of carbs/ fats/ proteins and fruits/ vegetables in their natural form.

I like to keep energy bars on hand for tournament days, eaten with lots of water.

I have also had great success with energy gels, taken about 15min prior to later-day matches.

Maryjane and jaegermeister.

^^^this^^^. He plays in long tournaments and rides in centuries, he knows his stuff. I used to be a distance runner and a cyclist and this is pretty much what I did. Stay away from artificial sugars. If you get sluggish, have a banana or an apple. RED BULL IS BADDDDD.

Ben

Edit: I prefer Jameson's to Jager

Last edited:

guelphdad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing about water, drink even if you don't think you are thirsty. Performance is affected at 10% dehydration but our body only tells us we are thirsty when we are 25% dehydrated.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Water is just as important as food. Make sure you're drinking water throughout the day. Even if you're not thirsty. If you wait until you're thirsty, it's too late.

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chicken tenders

Start by eating chicken tenders. And keep eating them until you lose. Most likely you will win. If you eat chicken tenders and still lose a match find the nearest Chili's and get the chili con queso and a margaritta. Usually at this point i have already given up.... :D

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm thinking pasta the night before, a small steak and 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast two hours before, protein bars during, and water throughout the day.

danomano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually have a lot of trouble playing good pool after eating steak, again unless that is in your normal breakfast routine. I would lean more toward a small breakfast sandwich with eggs and bacon or sausage. The higher fat content is actually good for additional energy. You will need some carbs to get through the day as well. Steak and eggs is just too heavy IMO.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
shot of whiskey and a couple of beers and a bag of salted nuts. otherwise don't depart from your normal routine. don't eat to much but you don't want your stomach growling unless it scares your opponent. good luck.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
This is one of those rare moments where my experience outside of pool might apply.

A lot of people like to think "carb up the night before" but the truth is that most of those nutrients are either burned up right away as simple sugars or aren't really processed and available until the end of the following day if not later. (digestion miles may vary)

Honestly, your last shot at getting actual nutrients into your system is breakfast (possibly an early lunch) the day before. What you eat for dinner should be more about feeling full enough to sleep but not so full you're bloated. Try not to eat anything new or complicated.

Physical activity will consume a combination of glycogen and fat at a ratio based on the level of activity. Sprinting burns almost all glycogen and no fat. Walking slowly burns a higher ratio of fat. So, really the concept of carbing up for pool probably doesn't make too much sense as it relates to the physical side.

However, your brain functions best on glycogen. It will burn that for it's activity first and fall back to the fat only as necessary. Have you ever felt your mind become fuzzy when you haven't eaten in awhile? That's most likely your brain trying to work with an insufficient glycogen store.

My recommendation is to eat something somewhat filling with two servings of protein, one serving of grain, one fruit and one vegetable the day before somewhat early in the day. That will process and be available to your system during the event. Eat a balanced dinner but the point there will be more about ensuring good sleep. To help keep your mind alert and active I'd recommend staying just a hint above hungry for as much of the day as possible. To keep your energy up, take with you some kind of carb snack you can consume during the event at regular intervals. (clif bars, fruit, raisins, etc.) You want something relatively easy to convert to glycogen but not sweet and sugary to avoid the resulting high and low. I would avoid eating any big meals during the event. You'll end up converting your body's attention to your stomach and the drain on your energy levels from digestion will make you tired. If you're hungry during the event but don't feel you need more carbs I recommend almonds or cashews as a snack. They will fill you up without creating a carb or sugar high.

On the other hand, buffalo wings taste better so feel free to throw out all of this advice. It's just leftover from a few too many years of endurance events.