What to eat before a long tournament

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will be in a tournament possibly lasting up to 14 hours. Any thoughts on what to eat before the Tournament? Carbs the night before? Protein the morning of? Power bars during?

Beans.... Lots of Beans! It'll give u that secret little edge!

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
This is one of those rare moments where my experience outside of pool might apply.

A lot of people like to think "carb up the night before" but the truth is that most of those nutrients are either burned up right away as simple sugars or aren't really processed and available until the end of the following day if not later. (digestion miles may vary)

Honestly, your last shot at getting actual nutrients into your system is breakfast (possibly an early lunch) the day before. What you eat for dinner should be more about feeling full enough to sleep but not so full you're bloated. Try not to eat anything new or complicated.

Physical activity will consume a combination of glycogen and fat at a ratio based on the level of activity. Sprinting burns almost all glycogen and no fat. Walking slowly burns a higher ratio of fat. So, really the concept of carbing up for pool probably doesn't make too much sense as it relates to the physical side.

However, your brain functions best on glycogen. It will burn that for it's activity first and fall back to the fat only as necessary. Have you ever felt your mind become fuzzy when you haven't eaten in awhile? That's most likely your brain trying to work with an insufficient glycogen store.

My recommendation is to eat something somewhat filling with two servings of protein, one serving of grain, one fruit and one vegetable the day before somewhat early in the day. That will process and be available to your system during the event. Eat a balanced dinner but the point there will be more about ensuring good sleep. To help keep your mind alert and active I'd recommend staying just a hint above hungry for as much of the day as possible. To keep your energy up, take with you some kind of carb snack you can consume during the event at regular intervals. (clif bars, fruit, raisins, etc.) You want something relatively easy to convert to glycogen but not sweet and sugary to avoid the resulting high and low. I would avoid eating any big meals during the event. You'll end up converting your body's attention to your stomach and the drain on your energy levels from digestion will make you tired. If you're hungry during the event but don't feel you need more carbs I recommend almonds or cashews as a snack. They will fill you up without creating a carb or sugar high.

On the other hand, buffalo wings taste better so feel free to throw out all of this advice. It's just leftover from a few too many years of endurance events.

The man knows his shit. I'd heed this advice.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Nothing for me. I have also done alot of endurance events from marathons, triathlons, mud runs, etc... Pool isn't even in the same category. I always feel sluggish after I eat while playing, even if it's not much. Maybe it's a mental thing but I never eat when I am playing. If my metabolism is up and running hard like during an endurance event, I have no problems eating everything I can get my hands on which usually isn't much lol.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Nothing for me. I have also done alot of endurance events from marathons, triathlons, mud runs, etc... Pool isn't even in the same category. I always feel sluggish after I eat while playing, even if it's not much. Maybe it's a mental thing but I never eat when I am playing. If my metabolism is up and running hard like during an endurance event, I have no problems eating everything I can get my hands on which usually isn't much lol.

Yeah, most people who have done longer events (especially ultras) are used to staying hungry comfortably for long stretches at a time. I actually think your mind is a little more sharp if you can achieve that state without your glycogen levels getting too low.

Not everyone is comfortable like that though and might be distracted by the feeling if they aren't used to it. For those people I usually recommend something to snack on as needed. Not to fill up but just to take some of the edge off the hunger and make it less of a distraction.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I'm also a proponent of not eating much. Prior to serious play I will eat fruit or perhaps mushrooms sautéed in olive oil. Then water & lots of it while playing

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I eat nothing for 3-4 hours before leagues or a tournament.

Believe it or not when playing all day I just don't eat. I play better as the day goes on too. I may have a gatorade during the middle of the day and try to stretch it out over 3 hours, then back to water.

This won't work for everyone and I am not sure why it works for me?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
When I got to the tournament, and before my first match, I would eat from six to eight candy bars (my favorites were Zeros, and Snickers). About half way through a race to five I would get such an insulin rush that I'd damn near pass out.
By doing that I could withdraw from the tournament without too much embarrassment. :smile:

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
^^^this^^^. He plays in long tournaments and rides in centuries, he knows his stuff. I used to be a distance runner and a cyclist and this is pretty much what I did. Stay away from artificial sugars. If you get sluggish, have a banana or an apple. RED BULL IS BADDDDD.

Ben

Edit: I prefer Jameson's to Jager

Hey Ben I don't have a Dog in this Fight, I just wanted to say Hi. Been awhile how you been?

Kevin

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Whatever you do, stay away from ice cream. Last time I played in the Japan Open, I was playing well, with a relatively easy draw and a good chance to get out of the qualifiers until I decided to order a chocolate parfait between matches .... I went from running out to getting the runs and flamed out of the tournament.

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm thinking pasta the night before, a small steak and 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast two hours before, protein bars during, and water throughout the day.

Why? Why the **** would you eat that? Processed, high fat, difficult to digest foods? Why? Energy comes from glucose. The most easily digestable, energy rich food are simple carbs and water rich, fiber rich fruits. Rice, beans, potatos, yams, ripe bananas (must have spots), dates, fruit juices (real juice - grapefruit is awesome). Eat as much as of these as you can, stuff yourself. Thank me when you win. EDIT: Always have water with you.