Practice game: FARGO

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
Mike,
I learn something great in each of your videos. Your clear and concise manner of presentation and language, makes even the complex easy to comprehend. Thank you for your efforts... now I am off to try this game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mikepage said:
Here is a description of the practice game FARGO ...
I like Fargo because it punishes you for overestimating your ability. For those who haven't seen the video, you have to decide when in the rack to change from shooting any ball to shooting in rotation, getting a bonus point for each ball shot in rotation.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Guess i will strart carrying a block of wood in my case....... LOL

Sounds like a good practice game. i'll have to give it a try !

I Ussually just play the ghost in 9 ball, but i have little twist on the game, if i take ball in hand and run out i get half a game, if i elect to shoot from where the cue stops on the break i get a full game. AND THE GHOST ALWAYS GETS 1 IF I MISS yeah and as you guessed it, the ghost wins most of time!

Steve

Bluesteel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Similar to Q Skills

This is very similar to the Q Skills Challenge, which I have been doing for a while now in my practice. There are two obvious differences.First, with Q Skills you do not take ball in hand after break, without taking a penalty. Second, with the Q Skills, you always play the first 10 balls of the rack in any order and the last five always in rotation. I think I will have to try this version, since I like the extra challenge of deciding when in the rack you switch to rotation.

Here is a link describing the Q Skills Practice ...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=45710

Mark

Dustin_J

Commence the Jigglin!
Silver Member
Thanks Mike, this looks like a lot of fun. I also practice with Q-skills quite frequently, but I'll give this a shot next time I play. Do you have any data on how FARGO scores compare to Q-skills scores? I'd imagine people would score a bit higher on FARGO, but then again, as Bob said, they may overestimate their ability and shoot themselves in the foot.

BTW, did you used to play at the NDSU union 6 or 7 years ago. You look familiar, and I remember playing there some when I was in school and running into some people there on the weekends that ate my lunch :) Regardless, Sioux Suck!!!

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dustin_J said:
Thanks Mike, this looks like a lot of fun. I also practice with Q-skills quite frequently, but I'll give this a shot next time I play. Do you have any data on how FARGO scores compare to Q-skills scores? I'd imagine people would score a bit higher on FARGO, but then again, as Bob said, they may overestimate their ability and shoot themselves in the foot.

I should know the comparison because we used to do on-line tournaments first with Q-skill and then later with FARGO. The "self-awareness" component of FARGO makes a big difference. There is a penalty for either over or underestimating your own game. Q-skill is essentially a measure of pure offensive ability. FARGO mixes in some major components of what in 8-ball and 9-ball would translate to strategy/defensive considerations.

BTW, did you used to play at the NDSU union 6 or 7 years ago. You look familiar, and I remember playing there some when I was in school and running into some people there on the weekends that ate my lunch :)

That would be me
(me playing occasionally at the union--not me eating your lunch).

Regardless, Sioux Suck!!!

lol. We'll see if THAT gets a response...

Only ERO's

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mikepage said:
I should know the comparison because we used to do on-line tournaments first with Q-skill and then later with FARGO. The "self-awareness" component of FARGO makes a big difference. There is a penalty for either over or underestimating your own game. Q-skill is essentially a measure of pure offensive ability. FARGO mixes in some major components of what in 8-ball and 9-ball would translate to strategy/defensive considerations.

That would be me
(me playing occasionally at the union--not me eating your lunch).

lol. We'll see if THAT gets a response...

Right on about the Sioux. Seeing that they are finally moving up to D-1, maybe they will want to match up with the Bison and get stomped again.

Do you still go down to the Union and play Dan Gu or Bruce? Do those guys still show up? I ran into Bruce when I went down to Iowa for a Big Dogs tournament. Him and Dave Mullen went down there.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw the video yesterday, and it actually is a very cool practice game. I tried out a few racks yesterday night (scoring a 21 the first try :cool: ).

It is very similar to Q-skill (at least the version played in the BDMMT), but Fargo is much less frustrating for the mediocre player such as myself. I like the fact that in Fargo you can decide exactly when to switch from random to rotation. Also, ball in hand after the break is huge!

I'll definitely be playing this practice game more regularly, to find out if I really am the C player I think I am. :p

av84fun

Banned
mikepage said:
Here is a description of the practice game FARGO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHj6KUw8xzE

Thanks Mike! I am a big fan of single player games for exactly the reasons you cited...including the ability to simulate real pressure....and I will certainly try Fargo.

The one issue I have with most such games is that they are entirely offensive and safety skills, which are critical to nearly all pool games, are absent and therefore, not measured in the "rating" scores.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am just curious if you read my posts re: "Ghost Plus" which introduces a safety option into the standard Ghost Ball game.

Briefly, you play the Ghost but have one opportunity per rack to play a CALLED safety.

If you leave the Ghost hooked requiring a 1 rail kick, you get ball in hand and can continue the run.

In the Advanced version, you need to leave a jump shot or at least 2 rail kick and if not, you lose the rack.

In either version, a scratch on the break is loss of rack which adds at least some ranking weight to breaking skills.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only ERO's said:
[...]
Do you still go down to the Union and play Dan Gu or Bruce? Do those guys still show up? I ran into Bruce when I went down to Iowa for a Big Dogs tournament. Him and Dave Mullen went down there.

I haven't played there in six months. But funny you should mention Bruce and Dave. I dropped a couple Bills (one each) to those two scoundrels Tuesday night. It was me against them in straight pool. They played scotch doubles. I just couldn't get it together.

Only ERO's

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mikepage said:
I haven't played there in six months. But funny you should mention Bruce and Dave. I dropped a couple Bills (one each) to those two scoundrels Tuesday night. It was me against them in straight pool. They played scotch doubles. I just couldn't get it together.

I was quite surprised how Bruce's game had come along. Dave C. gambled with him a little in Iowa and though he had the nuts. But Bruce took a few sets. I am not sure how they ended up but it surprised Dave.

Still have that 72 or 73 for a high run? I need to start keeping track of my straight pool innings to see what I can put together.

hackerda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, if you miss a shot do you take the ball off of the table or remove a point from your score?

Dean:D

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only ERO's said:
I was quite surprised how Bruce's game had come along. Dave C. gambled with him a little in Iowa and though he had the nuts. But Bruce took a few sets. I am not sure how they ended up but it surprised Dave.

I'm not surprised. He definitely gets the most-improved award for around here.
He's been playing a lot of the tight diamond at DMs house. The other night he got up 8 or 10 games on Rory getting the 7 or the 7 out or something like that.
He had a good night, and Rory played poorly, but STILL...

I gave him 2 to 7 playing 8-ball at Rugby this year, and I wasn't liking it at all.

Still have that 72 or 73 for a high run? I need to start keeping track of my straight pool innings to see what I can put together.

Oh you're so kind ;-). It's 71 And even that has a rack or so borrowed from beyond the rainbow. I think my next best is 56 :-(

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hackerda said:
So, if you miss a shot do you take the ball off of the table or remove a point from your score?

Dean:D

A missed shot ends the inning. You record your score for the inning, and rack the balls for the next inning.